Beiträge von Bob Beebe

Sump pan removal

I'm thinking of removing the sump tray to have a mooch inside and clear any old sludge deposits in the sump. Looks quite straight forward, will order a new gasket tomorrow (11131710195) I think. Any experience anyone on any issues doing this. I'll diagonally resecure the fixings on replacement.

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

My 850CI averages 11.4 mpg now that I have stripped out the CAT's. I drive 10 miles a day in Guernsey at a max of 35 mph ;) before the exhaust upgrade it was 9.6 - 10.4 max mpg. With fuel here at 98p a litre including road tax, it is my pick me up after a long day at the office. When i took her to the UK I achieved 19.7 mpg for a week average.

Cheers
    Bob

Thanks for the comments! As you say an old topic. I wish there was a spreadsheet somewhere with all users and their choice of oil. Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and go for Mobil 1. The K&N filters arrived yestreday...

I may drop the sump off her and give a good clean and inspection during the service exercise. May need to think of a new gasket though....more thinking required.

Thanks

Bob

My 850 CI has completed circa 183,000 miles. She is running a treat and I am going to perform her first service since I have owned her. (Inspection 1) I have read several posts on the best choice of oil and was considering fully synthetic Mobil 1. Has anyone any strong views on this please or has a better option. I have to drive short duration journeys and I use her every day.

I have added performance Wokke chips and straight through exhaust system (just rear boxes, no CAT's - beautiful!) and am fitting K&N long life perfomance air filters.

I have everything ready to go, just the oil to purchase.

Any help and guidance welcomed.

Thanks

Bob

I ordered some K&N longlife performance air filters today from Amazon UK. I also spotted osme other odd items. These xenon lights at a full set for £16 ? I ordered them to see what they would be like. Has anyone else tried these? only been available for a week or so...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xenon-…F8&qid=1294864924&sr=8-40

There are also a couple of books on the 850i at 19.99 soft back and a German version for £290. Type BMW 850 into Amazon all departments and you'll find an array of parts.

Planning to carry out inspection 1 soon. All parts nearly here.....:top:

Bob
    850CI

I couldn't believe it today when I was having a clean around my engine bay. I spotted a 15mm hole in one of the distributor caps on the RHS of the engine! This must have always been there from the previous owner and it does have a few cracks on the mounting bracketrs. Can these still be obtained? I couldn't see it on the E31 parts manual. I guess underneath is the actual fixed distribution cap assembly. Not sure as I've never removed them before...

Thanks

Bob

AHK

I had a hydraulic pipe failure on my AHK rear axle system and the Pentosin was virtually drained from the engine compartment header tank. I also removed pipes/replaced pipes etc at the rear of the car when the engine was not running. I simply filled the header, started the engine and filled again and and it bled itself out without problem.
    No idea on filter sourcing - sorry.
    Hope this helps.

Bob

Air inlet sensor issue

I've now found a diagnostic report from the day I borrowed the car before buying and Bingo! Here it is "Intake air temperature sensor detected at least 10 times - Open circuit or short circuit. No wonder if the wiring to it is not connected!

Thanks for your help, I'll strip down the centre wiring loom unit and see if the connector is in there. Odd to leave something like this out. I'll also check that the 2500 ohm sensor is funtional. Just for clarity, you state that the wiring goes to the back side box of the centre loom underneath, not along the vee loom box itself as the other side connects to?

I'm guessing that the fuel air mixture is compensated for temperature by this probe?

Thanks

Bob

So what is the sensor? Any ideas anyone? I recall an early disgnostic that said that mixture for 7-12 could not be changed? I'll dig out my original files. Strange that someone would remove it whatever it does?

Thanks again, I might have a look in my centre loom box and see if it is coiled up in there?

Cheers

Bob

Inlet manifol sensor question

Thanks for this. You may have to take out the 3 bolts to expose the pollen filter housing to see. This is very intriguing!

we're going out for a curry now :) as I'v eben working in France for a few days and just got back. I managed to sneak a bit of manifold cleaning in as well this afternoon. someone had sparyed lacquer all over the top of the engine some time ago and I'm slowly getting it looking happy again. Dare I say, i have thought about red inlets!

Cheers

Bob

I've been replacing fuel hoses for correct sized ones as in an earlier post. Howver, when I had completed the work I noticed that on the end of the inlet manifold at the bulkhead end there is a sensor fitted and it cables to the central wire loom in the box between the Vee. This is the rhs bank as viewed from the front of the engine (7-12) On the lhs side manifold there is just a sensor/socket and no cable connected to it. Is this normal? I can't see anywhere for it to go if one was wired in, but there is definitely and empty plug connector. Below is a pic with the one connected, it's the one on the other side that is missing. Any help welcomed. Thanks, Bob

Fuel Pipe Issue

Thanks for this. I stripped it down this evening to find 3/8" Volvo fuel hose used ! The o.d of the fuel pipes is 8mm and so have ordered a metre from your suggested link. The Sytec ends may be difficult though as the pipe is 16.5mm and not the standard dash 6 15.5mm. I've sent a question to the pipe suplier to ask him to check if 16.5 is correct and if he has any Sytec fittings that will fit correctly.

You were right though all ends are split on the oversized pipe that someone has put on.

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

I have a small fuel leak on one of the 2 fuel pipes by the fire wall at the back of the engine. I wonder what the correct hosing should be? There are 2 rubber hoses connecting with metal fuel pipes and both secured by jubilee clips. Is this right. Tightening to stop the leak causes the rubber hose to split. I know the fuel pressure is high but not sure if the clips are appropriate. Can anyone tell me what they have please? is it a moulded pipe connector? Couldn't see it in the repair manual.

Thanks

Bob

Wheel Sensor damage

I found that on removal of the sensors on my 850CI they appeared to be damaged by salt and water ingress. Here are some pics to show. They also failed intermittently before finally dieing. Good luck on the replacements. I think Carsoft probably has it right, they are probably on their way out.

Cheers

Bob