Beiträge von Bob Beebe

New Exhaust

Can you believe it, I tried the manual gear change today for the first time and liked it!

I have a small engine squeak and sometimes the power steering drops out for a second when pushing hard. I think I need to check belts and tensioners to get her tip top.

Top sound though...

Cheers

Bob

New Exhaust

Oh yes, it's fabulous! I had meetings in Birmingham all day so I dropped her off at Torqueflow and the boys ran me to my meeting. Top service. I returned over 6 hours later and saw the final 2 hours work on her. It was great to see it all come together. In all 8 hours work to transform it. I also took some new Lambda sensors and these were neatly installed after the downpipes. Straight through to the rear boxes via a crossflow connection near the mid hangers. The rear rubber mounts had failed on one side, so the boys went and sourced some OEM replacements and only charged me what they paid with their discount too. All 4 were replaced on both sides. They couldn't have done enough to be fair. What I'll try and do is post some before and after pictures. I've never tried posting images before so bear with me.

I would highly recommend if anyone is wishing to upgrade.

What a head turner and lots of interest since!

Cheers

Bob

Exhaust Mods

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. At Torqueflow, you have a choice of rear box silencing ability; full sports, mid sport or mild sport boxes and a range of twin tipped tails. Recommendations are mild sport and nothing back to the downpipes. They've done about 4 V12 850's and reckoned that's the ideal tune.

I'm happy to take the risk, they seem to know what they are talking about. I'll report back next week on the experience.

Cheers

Bob

Just a note that I will be on the boat to the UK tomorrow night in my V12 850. A few business meetings in Birmingham and Peterborough, then back down to Poole on Monday to catch the boat back to the Channel Islands. If you see a Black 850 my regisitration plate is 18501 , give me a honk! Also calling into Torqueflow in Birmingham for a day to have a full ss exhaust system fitted without CATS/mid boxes etc. Looking forward to the transformation. We don't have any emisson restrictions in Guernsey.:) Cheers Bob

Paint Job

What a fabulous effort. I wished mine looked as good as yours. You've certainly set the standard with this work.

I'm sailing to England next week to get my stainless sports exhaust fitted at Torqueflow in Birmingham. Looking forward to driving on some big roads in the UK and a new sound to get used to....

Cheers

Bob

AHK Hydraulics Repaired

After some detailed sitting down at the local BMW agent, the part number was identified as B33341138072 at a price of £105. I fitted the pipework and protection plate assembly tonight and CHF 11S topped up and runs a treat now.

A couple of the associated pipes look somewhat corroded; what do others do on the forum? just replace or get a local hydraulic agent to make all the pipes up to size. If you replaced all to the back of the vehicle it would cost in the order of £2000 for OEm parts.

Anyway, pleased to be driving her again, she's lovely.

Bob
    :top:

A large pool of oil appeared at work today after parking my 850 and after driving home and getting it on the ramps, there was a pin hole leak in the pipe from the AHK rear Resovoir Charging unit pipe position "A" to position "P" on the Drive unit. A single hydraulic hose. All looks straight forward to replace but I wanted to give the part number to my local BMW agent as last time there was an issue with numbers! Can anyone tell me the exact correct BMW part number for this combined metal and rubber hose please?

Thanks

Bob

ABS Issue sorted

Thanks for the help and private mails on this issue. It turned out to be a rear wheel speed sensor failure. A new one was bought and all warnings disappeared. I also managed to get a copy of and plugs/connectors along with Carsoft diagnostic software to help in determining any problems in the future. I have to be honest though and say that any part of my 850 I work on is so well built and the German engineering is excellent.

Cheers

Bob

I have a problem with my ASC and ABS system. I posted this in Technical Issues but here may be better.

My braking system works fine but is locking up when full force is applied. Thinking about this, it has been happening intermittently over the last couple of weeks and now occurs all the time.

When I turn the ignition key on, the ASC warning lamp is on in the centre of the display and only when pulling away very slowly does the ABS light come on as well. I believe this could therefore be a common problem as the same systems share hydraulics. Has anyone experience on this please or possible pointers?

When the car is first started there is a slight "gurgling" noise from the back of my 850 which could be the AHK rear axle hydraulics. I'm wondering if there could be air in the hydraulic system?

When looking at the resovoir in the supply tank, the level of hydraulic fluid is some way below the gauze filter. Does anyone know the correct level as it is not clear in the owners manual?

If the ABS lamp is lit a few moments after pulling away, I am assuming that the wheel speed sensors are OK and hoping that it is not the hydraulic pump assembly which is c.£1000 according to reports I have seen.

Are there any fundamental tests that can be carried out to establish if it is a pump/fluid issue or electronics that may be the problem?

I do like to drive with ASC off but seeing that orange light on all the time is off putting.

Thanks for any help on this,

Bob
    850CI

Thinking about this, it has been happening intermittently over the last couple of weeks and now occurs all the time.

When I turn the ignition key on, the ASC warning lamp is on in the centre of the display and only when pulling away very slowly does the ABS light come on as well. I believe this could therefore be a common problem as the same systems share hydraulics. Has anyone experience on this please or possible pointers?

When the car is first started there is a slight "gurgling" noise from the back of my 850 which could be the AHK rear axle hydraulics. I'm wondering if there could be air in the hydraulic system?

When looking at the resovoir in the supply tank, the level of hydraulic fluid is some way below the gauze filter. Does anyone know the correct level as it is not clear in the owners manual?

If the ABS lamp is lit a few moments after pulling away, I am assuming that the wheel speed sensors are OK and hoping that it is not the hydraulic pump assembly which is c.£1000 according to reports I have seen.

Are there any fundamental tests that can be carried out to establish if it is a pump/fluid issue or electronics that may be the problem?

I do like to drive with ASC off but seeing that orange light on all the time is off putting.

Thanks for any help on this,

Bob
    850CI

Throttle Response Issue

I also experienced the same type of response. It appeared more lagging in response in A (Adaptive) mode and less in S (Sports mode. I decided to go for the Wokke chip upgrade and it eliminated it. You receive 3 chips, 1 engine management chip for bank 1-6 and one for 7-12. The third one is the EML chip which enhances considerably the throttle response. The upgrade is not cheap (c.£320) but I feel well worth it. It's like driving a car half the weight and is so much more responsive. Have a think about this as it may be the way to go. Quite fddly if you 've not done it before or not experienced in matters electronic.

Hope this helps,

Bob
    850CI

My ABS warning light stays on all the time. I have checked brake fluid levels and also checked pad thicknesses as well. All looks OK. Does anyone have a check list of things that may be worth a look at please? I guess it could be a wheel speed sensor or the like? Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

Door Handle Assembly

What a stroke of luck. The local BMW agents here in Guernsey checked on screen and the door handle assembly is an available part for my 1993 850CI. It arrived today. After contemplating the removal and replacement of the barrel lock assembly for my door handle assembly, what a surprise to find that a brand new lock barrel for my car was part of the assembly! They took my chassis number and it came directly from Germany matching the vehicle. The cost was £123 complete, but I now have a completely new lock and handle assembly. I hope to fit it this week, may try this evening if I get time.

Thanks for the private emails on this. If yours fails try your BMW agent first.

Bob

:top:

Last week I got to try and open my drivers door and the mechanical handle release would not work. The window dropped as usual and all central locking is functional. I dismantled the door panel assembly today to see that the downward link lever is not operating when the door flap is listed. It looks like the alloy casting may have broke. Looking at BMW suppliers, it looks as though aseembly 51 218 124 296 door locks are no longer made. Does anyone know where I can obtain one of these please so that I can repair mine?

Thanks

Bob
    BMW 850CI V12

Push Button fixing

Thanks Revtor, Absolutely correct now I understand. The item refers to a "push button". I'll try and order some on Monday using the designated part number.

Thanks again

Bob
    850CI

I'm trying to find a few last missing items on my 850CI and one item I cannot find in any of the online manuals is the fixing detail for the radiator cover. If anyone can help with a part number for the 6 fixings that clip and fix/screw the large cover in front of the oil filler cap or know where there are some, that would be great.

Bob