Beiträge von Herminator

My barbados green 97 840 ci sport is on piston heads if you're interested ;)
    It has a few little things that need sorting so I've priced it accordingly at £6350, maybe a good project car for you.

It's time for me to get back to a Z4 I think, I love the 8 but I'm looking for something different for an every day driver.

I think I will try and clean up and paint first, as you say, it doesn't smell of petrol and has been like this for a good while now. Something to do when I replace the washer bottle.

Thanks, those part numbers will be very useful.
    I'll get a new bottle ordered, along with some new press-on nuts and rubber gromets.

On a plus note, BMW in Newcastle have yet again proved they can be reasonable and refunded the cost of removing and washing the bottle for it's mot last week. Since if they'd actually removed it, they would have seen it gushing fluid out of it's side...

Great, thanks.
    Looks a simple enough job, now I just need to find one at a sensible price, along with the washer bottle. Not sure to bother with the second hand one on ebay, it's a bit rusty itself...

Related to my earlier WTB thread in the for sale section... what is the cylinder that sits under the windscreen washer bottle and it's heat sheild?

My guess is that it's something to do with the aircon, but I can't see anything that matches on real oem.

The washer bottles leaking has caused this part to rust, so it will need replacing sooner rather than later and it would be good to know what I'm looking at first. :hmmmm:

This is for a 97 Ci Sport, btw.

My washer bottle is leaking around one of the heatsheild mounting points so I'm looking to see if anyone has a reasonably priced spare.
    It's the kind for an 8 without headlights washers or the extra resevior in the boot.

Zitat von sandwich;87713

Really dont know what I've done wrong! Live in a low crime postcode area, 52 years old, max 5000 miles pa, put wifey on as he said it would be cheaper. Value £7000.00. Licence since 1976. One SP30 four years ago...

All the above and was quoted £535.00!
    Can I ask Herminator. What did you pay?

I pay about £650, but I'm 28 and have two SP30's from last year which add about £70-80, it was going to be another £60-70 but I increased the excess since I'd not bother claiming for a few hundred quid anyway, it would only sting me come the next insurance renewal.
    Agreed value of £7500, 5000 miles pa, only car, geordie land.

My younger flatmate who's insured with the same company has a couple of Saab 99's that he's insured for less than £180 each :roll: Neither of them could pull the skin off a rice pudding though.

Thought I'd try this little add here, just in case :thumbup:

1997 840 Ci Sport automatic
    80,000 miles

Barbados Green
    17" Throwing Star alloys (kurbing free)
    Light Silver interior with Individual green piping
    Anthracite roof
    M Sport 4 spoke steering wheel
    6 cd changer
    All in nice original condition

This is the later 4.4l V8 with Steptronic gearbox

Tax'd until April 30th
    MOT'd till September (flew through the last one)

Carried out over the last few thousand miles-
    New front brake pads and discs
    New front control thrust arm
    Sunroof treated for a small spot of rust and resprayed
    4 new tyres
    Oil service at BMW Fawdington Newcastle
    2 new rear suspension springs
    Full BMW KDS tracking (car drives beautifully now)
    Valve cover gaskets replaced
    New water pump
    New belt tensioners and pulleys, with the two main pulleys that are prone to failing having been replaced with Pheonix Motorsport machined alloy items
    All pre-emptive maintanence, done more for my own peace of mind.

Used daily, kept in underground car park overnight.

Having sold my BMW Z4 over a year ago, I've decided to try and go back to one or something similar. I bought a "sensible" car which didn't last long and then I bought this beautiful 8 Series which I've always admired. Despite still loving the car, I don't feel I'm getting the best out of it and I still crave something like my old Z4.
    Willing to trade for a 3.0 Z4 of the right spec but also very open to cash offers... try me.

£8,250 ono...

That looks good, I love techno violet too, I don't think we could get away with a front plate that small in the uk unfortunately.

Looking good, it's amazing what a proper clean can do.

I really should clay mine when I'm not feeling too lazy. The 8 is such a big car though, I'd probably spend days on it :banghead: I think it really needs a machine polish, 13 years of swirls need removing :( Even the glass could do with polishing and I don't like half the detailing forums suggestions of "accidental" stone chips and a cheap replacement. I'd like to keep the original glass that's in there. Anyone got any tips for polishing this supposed rock hard BMW paint?

Mine's still good enough for a guy to ask me if I'd just finished restoring it at the weekend :laugh:

Zitat von Timm;80964

I had a stange noise coming from the front of the car when the A/C was switched on. It turned out to be a carrier bag that wound itself around the auxiliary fan!

I thought I better go check this fan, since two of you have mentioned it now.

I found two morrisons bags in there :banghead: one was easy to remove, the other was well and truly wrapped around the fan. I've got most of it out of there but there still must be a bit around the base of the fan. I'll have to look up how to remove the fan so I can get the rest out.

I'm not sure it's just that though, with most of the bags removed there was no audible difference in the drone when the engine was running around 2000rpm and ac was on.

I'll certainly be ensuring the fan is sorted and ac regassed before I go ordering a new compressor. £250 for a new one or £125 for a second hand one with 6 months warranty, I hoped there would be more sources on ebay. :dontknow:

It seems that that is the case. AC compressors don't seem cheap, are second hand ones worth the risk? What other AC compentents should I be looking at overhauling? Any ideas on cost?

Finally got my car back today, new pulleys installed and a new water pump too since my mechanic noticed it was on it's last legs. Good preventative maintanence at least but it hasn't solved the noise.

Instead we found that the noise goes when the ac and fan are off. So the car is at least drivable without it sounding like it's going to implode, but I can't use the fan-ac :help:
    Has anyone encountered this before?

The best description of the noise is a plastic pipe rubbing on a belt.

The price on that car does seem daft, if it's worth 7k and is as ropey as you say, then my similar one must be worth a good bit more :top: atleast when it's new tensioner pulleys are installed...

Looking at adds, it doesn't seem easy to price these cars but some clearly deluded.

I wish I had the talent, equipment, time to do this kind of thing, awesome stuff :top: I always enjoy your threads, keep them coming.

3 years off the road? Will it be back on the roads soon after the super charger is installed? I miss mine after just a week. What's the car of choice for your daily driving?

Very nice photos. I bought the mag as soon as I saw it in the shop, I can't resist a bit of loo time 8 series reading :top:

I love the colour and wheels combo. What is the colour? Is seems to have a satin finish in those photos.

Alloy pulleys ordered from Gary, along with some reinforcement plates.

Now to work out tensioners I need. As you say, europarts list a few. If I could find them on gsf it would be better, since there's one just a short distance from where I work.