Beiträge von TerryY

Have you looked behind the speaker enclosure in the left footwell? or I suppose possibly the right if they didn't wire them all as world cars.
    If I remember correctly the clutch switch connector was listed there when I was looking to do a manual conversion on the 840 long ago. Still have the bits and a 20k mile M62 with a six speed for doing that but not the enthusiasm to actually do it anymore.

Today I learned that the sorta whirry tapping noise that sounds like something on the front of the motor is really coming from the right head. With a stethoscope is a very loud tappet noise most evident toward the front of the valve cover. So I am now anticipating staring down banjo bolts in the near future.

Yes the car is very clean. I have maintenance records back to about 2000 and need to ask "Hoovie" for the records of what he had done to it. Seems like most of the car was renewed between 2011 and 2017 including new EDC struts in the front in 2013.

The funniest part of the whole thing was me spending a month or so trying to fit a inexpensive electric car (think Leaf like) into the 38 mile trip to my daughters house. Bearing in mind the last 3 miles to home is a 750 foot climb up a "Mountain" it wasn't possible to do within the budget I had in mind. So I did the logical thing and bought a V12 :)

As a bonus in going thru the records I got yesterday in some ways this might be a Unicorn of sorts rather than a Zebra. There are about $18,000 worth of receipts from the small dealer in the last real owners name. Including new EDC Struts in the front and a complete engine reseal. That is from 2011 until now. There is another batch of receipts from about 2000 until 2011 yet to sort thru.
    I even got the original window sticker and sales contract.
    The registry has it as one of 7 Sterling Silvers with Light Gray/Black interior.

I am going to explore repainting the back half in Sterling Silver. The repaint is so soft it has brush marks from a carwash on the roof and the paint on the back bumper is worn thru where the water from the wheel splashed on it.

I paid less delivered to my driveway than he paid without shipping so I can put a bit into it.

I have no idea what I am really going to do with it after it is "right" but I just couldn't bear the thought of one of the Junior commenters that were clamoring for it to actually buying it.

I added a 1991 850i to my Harem.
    A couple of observations. Some people that paint cars can't tell the difference between BMW silvers. Accident in 2000 repair has left the car two toned. Nose to back edge of the doors is Sterling silver and from the back of the doors including the roof appears to be closer to Arctic silver.
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39596/
    It is actually in nice condition. Replaced the boiled out batteries first thing. They were supposed to have been changed by a BMW dealer less than 2 years ago but manufactured in 2010--sounds about right.
    Aircon compressor was just changed because it was noisy but new one fails to operate unless jumpered. May not be the right one. All new steering gear underneath.

And it was a Youtube Star!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1GtNfl7BS0&t=17s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBE8cDmgLE&t=53s

I had to rescue it.

Terry

I am here almost every day but my 840 is in hiding waiting for my next period of E31 enthusiasm. Along with a Porsche 928 and my new this week toy-a 2013 Ford Interceptor sedan with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine--365 hp worth.

The "ultimate" air straightener

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/33295/

It with removal of the stock screen and flow straightener reportedly added about 10 hp to an M3 with an M60 maf already added to increase air flow. The leading edges are sharp enough to dice small birds and sturdy enough to stop large birds and small tree limbs before they reach the working parts.

I still have difficult understanding that Bosch didn't use exactly the same electronics and "hot wire/film" on multiple models and manufacturers around the same time period. Connector changes-probably to suit the car manufacturers standards--maybe. Just like the 540/740/840 Maf is supposed to be a plug in substitute for some M3 models only larger in diameter. Making model specific Maf signal changes so the Motronics software has to be modified just seems un-Bosch like.

But then again my experimentation days are over so it is up to others to play in that puddle.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/2…scandal/index.html?iid=EL

I realize that it only applies to Diesels now but you can bet that it will spread to gas motors as soon as they find another manufacturer "cheating" on diesel.

When California first started the low emissions programs in ~1974 everything suddenly had to run bad and/or use twice as much fuel in order to meet their standards. Imagine blocking off the vacuum advance on older cars or adding controls that added full time egr and no vacuum advance. So a single fuel/ignition advance map that will pass emissions at all times under any conditions could be the end result. Imagine trying to overtake uphill.

That time is coming again to a country near you.

I am happy that my newest vehicle is a 2000 and I now live in a semi remote place where emissions are not tested at all.

Currently this was the first I could find http://www.pedalhaus.com/e31.html I have never dealt with them but they have appear to have been around for a while.

Ebay used to have a fair number of AC Schnitzer replica dead pedals.

The problem is that most are in pedal sets but appearing to be flat it shouldn't be hard to make your own

This forum has been up and down over the years. Summers are slowest because everybody is outside. Winters get better.

I have been here when I was virtually alone and I was on Bimmerforums as the only regular 8 owner before Roadfly started irritating everybody enough to leave. This place still has people posting in vacation time so it isn't dead yet.

Some day OZ and US owners along with more "Brits" will appear again and liven it up but it will probably be a group of new owners that have not seen every answer a hundred times.

Try removing the oil filler cap with the engine running and see if the whistle stops. The valve covers are under the same reduced pressure/vacuum as the crank case and you may be hearing a vacuum leak.