Beiträge von faisal_in_laurel

I could not find the ACS Short Shifter in the US, so I went with UUC Shifter. I am happy that I did as this is much better made than any of the Short Shift Kit (SSK) I have seen in the market. I can say that based on my 5 month research of finding a SSK for my car. I recommend the EVO 3 with DSSR.

UUC Short Shifter Description

UUC Website

If you need help with getting one, just let me know. They should be able to ship to any European countries, but I can help if they don't.[/url]

But have you switched the MAFs from one side to another? Also the throttle motors?

We have to plan our attack. We need 3 things for the engine running (Air, Spark and Fuel). So let's test the air side first and then move to spark and fuel system last.

Just remember that the MAF and TB of any side feeds the opposite side.

You can also start looking into your fuse box and see if fuel pump fuse F23 & F24 are ok, You may want to replace them if they are old. But let's trouble shoot the Air and the Spark first.

At this time I suggest you swap parts from side to side. But swap only one part at a time to isolate the issue. The part that makes the limp home switch sides is the faulty part. if it does not switch sides that part is OK.

Start swapping in this order.:

1. MAF
    2. Throttle body
    3. Distributors
    4. Coils

Have you done The Stomp Diagnostic test yet? The code from that test will help a lot. If you work on your own car I highly recommend getting a scan tool like Peake Code tool. It helps a lot a saves time diagnosing what is wrong rather than pulling your hair out.

How is your tailpipe smoke? Color White, Black, Brown, Bluish white? Smell sweet or smell like gasoline or no smell?

Zitat von hallworth1

Very impressed Lloyd :) . Unfortunatly no good for me as i have one of those old fashioned manual gearboxes and im forever changing up n down gears :(
    Les

I have a Manual Gearbox as well. This armrest is not that long to interfere with shifting. I however recommend a rear slot mount for the manual gearbox cars. It will provide more room and elevate your elbow for a better (More comfortable) shifting position.

Joop,

I can't take all the credit. I have been a 8 series owner since 2000 (My first 1997 840 Ci + Link) and I used to be just like you looking for information. My years of ownership was fortified by other E31 owners knowledge and friendship. I am just sharing what I learned. One day you will be able to share what you know to other newcomers.

And I do have an engineering degree but currently in Management.

Now Let's take your rough idle into consideration. I would like you to perform the following Stomp diagnostic test which are built into your car:

Stomp Diagnostic Test:
    1. Sit in the driver's seat.
    2. Turn the ignition to the On position, but do not start the engine up.
    3. Immediately depress the accelerator fully and release fully 5 times quickly.
    4. Wait for a few seconds and you will see the Check Engine light flash once, then start it will start to blink. All codes are comprised of 4 digits. The number of blinks corresponds to the fault code. For example, ON then pause, ON ON then pause, ON ON ON ON then pause, ON ON ON then off would be a 1243.
    5. Each four digit code will be flashed sequentially. When the codes start to repeat, all stored codes have been displayed.
    6. Turn the ignition off.
    7. Let me know what the codes are.

There is a service menu for the MID. It shows internal data and can change some settings. The test #9 will give you the Battery Current. Ideally it should be between 13.67 - 13.87 but down to 13.40 is acceptable.

To use the MID service menu, follow these instructions at your own risk and with caution.

Unlocking the onboard computer

All 8 Series are delivered with a disabled MID service menu. The only function available even when locked is the display test (Function 1) where all LED's of the MID light up.

To enable the service menu, press 1000 and 10 simultaneously to execute function 19. Has the menu been enabled, the display shows 'LOCK OFF'. Add the day and the month of the date shown by the MID. For August 7th for example that would be: 8 + 7 = 15. Enter that number and press 'SET/RES'. Now you can access the service menu using the function descriptions outlined below.

Accessing the MID's Service Menu (subsequent to unlocking)

Press the 1000 and 10 keys simultaneously. The display will then show 'TEST_NR.: --'.
    Enter a two-digit code as usual in order to select the corresponding function (see function descriptions below).
    Activate it by pressing 'SET/RES'.

Function Description

1. Display Test
    2. Instantaneous fuel consumption in l/100 km
    3. Instantaneous fuel consumption in l/h
    4. Fuel consumption for calculating the range
    5. Current range
    6. Probably fuel left in the tank.
    7. Fuel left in the tank
    8. Current speed in kph
    9. Battery current
    10. Unknown Data
    11. Setting of country specific language and measuring systems. Select desired country setting with the 1000 and 100 keys, then activate it with 'SET/RES'.
    12. Speed to calculate time of arrival
    13. Time of arrival
    14. Creation date of the ROMs
    15. Unknown error display. Switch over from one error to another with the 1000 and 100 keys.
    16. Displays data from some internal port. Choose port A to F with the 1000 and 100 keys. Unknown function.
    17. Changing a sound from 'ITON' to 'DTON' and vice versa. Activate with 'SET/RES'.
    18. Unknown function.
    19. Unlocking the service menu.
    20. Clears display and key functions. Pressing a key results in LEDs glowing in the corresponding display area. Normal operation is only re-established by turning off the ignition.
    21. Display gets very bright for a short time, then goes dark. After a couple of seconds the computer responds again to pressed keys. Service menu is locked again. Probably reset of the onboard computer.

The Trans Fail-safe message means that your transmission has been shifted into Fail-Safe mode (like limp home mode on the engine) which holds the transmission in gear (3rd gear?) in order for you to continue to drive in case of a problem with the tranny.

Most of the time you'll get this message from an engine component problem and it has nothing to do with the transmission. The issue is that the computers are linked whereas a problem with an ignition component would trigger the Trans Fail-Safe mode. In most cases your problem will be something easy to fix.

Likely cause? Low battery voltage. When was the last time you replaced the batteries?

The first thing to look at are the batteries. If the Batteries are more than 5 years old, I highly recommend replacing them. Make sure you replace both batteries and they are of the same brand and model. I passed on getting BMW batteries and currently using Interstate Batteries. The batteries should be rated at atleast the same CCA as the BMW batteries. I am using the 850 CCA and they are excellant.

If the batteries don't cure the issue than, you should check the following:

1. Carbon deposits on the shift lever copper tracks.
    2. Air filters.
    3. Vacuam (While the car is started, open the oil filler cap and put a piece of paper to cover the hole. If you feel a slight pull that is holding the paper in place, you are good. But if you feel that the air is coming out, you should replace the VCV valves).

But, I still bet my first penny on the batteries.

Me too Lloyd. Can you make more of the metal inserts? Or can you send me the specs or design of the metal insert for the folks in the USA?

Thanks in advance.

My email is faisal_b_ahmed@hotmail(dot)com [Please replace the (dot) with a .]

Some of the TB have Tamper proof screws. To get them out you can cut a slot on the top of the screw head and use a flat head screwdriver. Then you can take the screws to a hardware or automotive shop to get replacement screws. You can use a Dremel tool to cut the slot and use a big screw driver. You can also try needle nose vice grips and the vice that is in the trunk toolbox. I have seen this before and a needle nose vice grip worked fine. BMW uses loctite on the tamper proof screws so you really have to get some leverage on them to break the seal.

Good luck.

For people with 96+ 840, the only programming I know of is DINAN. It is available as a Flash upgrade at any USA BMW dealer. Not sure of its availability in the UK and EU. I am sure someone can get a copy of the programming and flash the ECU there.

I also have a set of DINAN ECU chips for 91 850i. Let me know if anyone have an interest in them.

Zitat von Paul_M

The easiest and neatest solution would be to source a replacement washer bottle with the heat shield attached. Trying to properly repair your existing bottle is probably more effort than it's worth. Shouldn't be too expensive to pick a good one up used, as there's not much demand for them. Even a new one (with no pump or level sensor) probably isn't that expensive, but if you go for this option make sure it includes the heat shield.

Agreed. I did this a couple of times. On my old 840 it cracked and on my new 8 it was for appearance reasons. It is a 30 minute job.

I would also recommend replacing the 2 pumps at the same time. They tend to work in tandem. If one of the pumps break the other one picks up both the intense and regular wash duties. So you would not know if one is broken until the other one is gone as well. In the US they are about $25 each. not sure how much in UK and the EU.