Beiträge von jake1119

As I had to supply the 8 series registry with new pictures of my car I thought I would share them here too, as you can see the repair to the passenger side was done to a very good standard, I am extremely pleased to have it back :). I am in no way a good photographer, just used a little exposure compensation, well, tried to anyway, I should have washed it first though, enjoy :)

Thanks for all the opinions, thats what makes these communities great. The Sakura's are out. I do love the M Parallels, it's just finding them :). I really don't like the throwing stars, I think it is the covers that put me off really, so, I have taken them off. Now I know that these wheels without the covers are marmite, but, personally I prefer them naked if you will :).

If that hasn't really peed off the purists, then, this will, lol, I think, as my car is a nice dark blue I need contrasting wheels, hence, I am leaving them naked and, having them powdercoated......................white!!! :laugh:

Well, the bodywork repairs are complete and thhe car will be put on a flatbed and taken to my mechanic for a thorough inspection of the bottom end next week.

The insurance company still refuse to acknowledge that the oil leak sprung as a result of the collision, so, if there is any damage I will be footing the bill :(.

Should (and, I am expecting this is the case) there be no damage then I have asked my mechanic to replace all of the rubber oil lines with new stainless braided lines, perform a full engine flush and oil change, so, here is hoping that I will be back up and running late next week :).

Zitat von arnie;81083

Did you get an oil-pressure warning-light on the dash?

The oil sump holds over 8 litres and although there is a leak from the hose, it's very unlikely that the oil level would have dropped low enough to cause problems. Loss of pressure might cuse the hydraulics tappets to become noticelably noisy, but this is a temporary effect.

The hose that you show in your picture with the oil squirting out is not part of the main oil-circuit. I think it's the return line from the pressure control valve, so it would seem unlikely that you lost main oil pressure. Check the line and see where it goes, but the two larger hoses with the crimped connectors are the main oil inlet and outlet lines.

I did get low pressure warnings along with a check oil level warning, it was at this point I parked it and waited for the recovery truck. In order to get it onto the truck I needed to put 5 litres of oil in it as the dipstick was reading empty, and, upon starting it, it sounded very rough.

Zitat von arnie;81075

If the oil leak is only from the ruptured hose, as I think you've pictured, then it's no big deal and I wouldn't worry about it. After all these years, the hoses need replacing anyway, as the rubber perishes. (The blackish coating of oil and dirt on the components, hose and jubiliee clip seem like they have been there for a while and imost likely there was already a very tiny leak there that was made into a full leak by the impact of the accident.) If the insuracce co will not pay for the complete oil-repair, maybe you can get them to go for 50% or get your mechanic to write his opinion of the damage in your favour.

If the rest of the damage amounts to £1200, then I don't think your car will be written-off. Make sure you get new plastic wheel arch liners with the new wing as well as all the rubber seals and new fasteners etc. Think of it as an opportunity to improve the car!

Thanks Arnie,

All I am asking of the insurance company is that they investigate the possibility that due to the loss of oil there may be potential engine damage, it is a fact that the oil leak as shown in the pictures was not there prior to the accident otherwise I would be stopping every mile to fill the car up with oil.

Well, the other guy was insured and was driving a company vehicle. The panel damage has been estimated at £1200 to be repaired, however, the insurance company are disputing the oil issues saying that it was a pre-existing issue, which, is complete bull, my garage floor and drive a completely free of oil, and, my engine bay was oil free before this accident, these are the pictures of the oil issue, there is no way that I would not have noticed this!!!!

still upset and now getting angry, lol

unbelievable, this morning on the way to work I was exiting a roundabout from the right lane of a dual carriageway (A414) onto the right lane of the A405 when I guy in the left lane decided not to exit and proceed straight on, thus, colliding with the front passenger side of my 840!!!.

lots of panel damage, both upper and lower bumper, passenger wing, passenger door and passenger front wheel.

For some reason, the collision also ruptured the oil line(s) and it has dropped all of its oil, and, I am afraid it may have spun the big end bearings as it sounds like a tractor:(. Does anybody know what parts to the oil system may be hidden behind the passenger front wing that may have been damaged (oil cooler perhaps?)

After waiting 15 years for an 8 series I am completely gutted :(

Regards,

Jake

Hi all,

I have an slight issue that may, or may not signal an upcoming issue, although, it is a strange one. When driving around as normal in 'E' mode everything is perfect, smooth gearchanges etc, even when accelerating hard (i.e. engaging kickdown) everything appears to be normal, however, put the transmission in 'S' mode and, accelerating hard there appears to be quite an audible whine, which, is quite unnerving. The car is a 4.0 and has done 154K miles.

Any advice is always apreciated.

Regards,

Jake.

Hi all,

My OBC is suffering with the old missing pixels issue. I know there are companies out there that will refurb and fix the pixel issue, but, as I have another BMW (My track car), which has a perfect 18 button OBC, can I simply swap them over?

My car is a 95 840Ci and the donor a 95 318Is Coupe,

Many thanks,

Jake

Hi all,

I have a small issue with my sunroof, well, the interior liner to be precise. The sunroof works perfectly, but, when I close it, the internal liner does not fully close. It appears to stop about 20mm from fully closed, is this a common issue, and, is there an easy fix?

Regards

Jake