Beiträge von Richard.UK

Zitat von sprucegoose

Tony, the masking would be OK, but this would do nothing for the four inches of cold glass where the filaments have corroded. Re the Autoglass shop, its in Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex phone 01293 613619. The chap who applied extra adhesive to seal out the moisture down the sides is called Ken. The BMW part (green glass with 3rd brakelight) is £440.08 including Vat and the BMW quote for the whole job was £950! By comparison, Autoglass was £581 all-in with a guarantee for as long as you own the car.
    SG

Thanks for the info sprucegoose. Gatwick is only up the road, so this would be pretty handy for me. Hopefully my parts might be a little cheaper as I do not have the third brake light. Did your price include replacing the seal?
    Regards
    Richard

Re: A bit more info.....

Hi Sprucegoose,
    I am suffering the same problems with my rear window; in fact it has become so bad my rear window heater only works on a couple of wires. You are right about this being a fault on these cars, all the the older ones I see are suffering the same symptoms. I would be interested to know the cost of the replacement parts and details of who and where you used Autoglass.

Regards
    Richard

Does anybody have experience of replacing the rear brake pipes (34326755527 and 34326755667). I know these come as straight pipes and the old ones are used as a template for bending them to shape. I was after any information as to whether any major parts had to be removed in order to carry out the replacement. Any help appreciated. Model 850i 1991
    Regards
    Richard.UK

HI Wayne,

When I purchased my 850 six years ago I took out a non BMW warranty. I did not realise at the time that the car had a current BMW warranty with two weeks to run. Wish I had known then what I do now. The BmW waranty covers most items including BMW labour rates. A wise purchase indeed.
    Happy hunting.

Hi All,

I have recently received my 850 auto back from the local BMW dealers where they had been tracking down a shutdown problem. After a very long time they eventually found the defective module and replaced it. They also replaced both batteries. When I went to pick up the car the TRANS FAIL SAFE message came up on the Obc when I started the engine. I also noticed that the gear indicator on the dash was no longer working. I asked them to check out the problem which had only occured whilst they had the car.
    They suggested it was the electronic switch below the gear lever (25161219149) which they ordered and replaced. Both problems persisted. Next they tried swopping the instrument cluster with that of another customer's car. This still failed to resolve problems.
    The Diagnosis EGS Faults readout came up with the following:
    Gearbox Relay Relay in the SG cannot drop out.
    Solenoid valve canot be cut in or cut off.
    Interestingly although I get this message every time I start up, within a few seconds the message goes away and the gearbox works fine, abeit without the dash display. The dealer has suggested the gearbox does a self diagnosis check upon start up and thinks there is a problem at first, hence the message and then realises all is OK and message goes away.
    Although the car drives as it should , the message and lack of gear indicator on the dash is very annoying. Dealer suggests new EGS control unit required and is currently awaiting similar car to swop unit to test theory.
    Has anybody any helpful ideas or suggestions on this one as the dealers look like keeping me waiting forever.

Thanks in advance

It is great to see this web site up and running again. I thought I may as well be the first to introduce myself to my fellow brits. I have owned my 850 for just over three years, and it still makes me smile whenever I return to it. Its a standard 850i model first registered in November 1991 (12 birthday later this month).
    As the only Brit posting at the moment, I feel like I'm talking to myself, but hopefully a decent number will be joining here.
    Look forward to meeting anyone....

Richard