Beiträge von Hythe

Well, nothing really, Lloyd. Technically, I suppose the MINI that I've got on order has succeeded it, but not replaced it.

I also have a BMW-Alpina B5 Touring, but that was more a replacement for the BMW-Alpina B8 4.6 Touring I had beforehand.

With 2 small kids and living in London, I just found I was never actually going to be able to use the 8er much. A great shame, because it was the car of ours to which my wife and I have been most attached over the years, and it was in pretty much mint condition, too.

I'm afraid I too am no longer an E31 owner, after almost 6 years!

I'm sure I'll get bitten by the bug again at some point, probably when I stumble across a perfect B12 5.7 Coupe...

Mine was done under warranty last year, also - it was an expensive job otherwise, so thank goodness they did it before I let the warranty lapse this year!

Make sure you get the rear screen you want - plain or grad tint.

Zitat von ron840ci

Hythe,
    Anything I should worry with Pzero Rosso's? Am having the Rosso's all round for the Hartge 19" as part of full upgrade.........

Thanks, Ron

I just find that they have incredibly stiff sidewalls - all very nice and precise, but with my ACS springs and the Dinan sway-bars, I find the thing hops about all over the place. I'm thus hoping to find a slightly more compliant set of tyres - otherwise, I'll have to re-think the spring/shock combination.

Anyone recall the correct tyre dimensions for the B12 coupe? My 840Ci is running on 18" B12 rims and I need to replace them when the car comes out of storage...

I seem to recall it's 235 front and 285 rear, but does anyone have full details? It's currently running on 275s at the rear - PZero Rosso all round, of which I can't say I'm a big fan. Might try some Yokohamas this time, if they come in the right size.

On the brakes, I had 330mm Alcon brakes, with 4-piston calipers, fitted on the front a couple of years ago, with braided hoses - massive improvement in both performance and pedal feel. Haven't yet done anything about the rears, but there are few options other than simply using the CSi brakes (Dinan does a kit, I believe). You can use CSi brakes all-round, but the Alcons are supposed to be a bit better. I'm sure other alternatives are available...

Phil hasn't worked at Hartlake for a couple of years now - he's currently based alongside Birds out at Uxbridge, though he's not working for Kevin Bird, except occasionally on a freelance basis, as I understand it. His landline is 01895 252 288 and the mobile is 07960 280 953.

While you're over there, you can ask Kevin about upgrading the brakes - the standard ones are, as I'm sure you've noticed, truly shocking!

Re: door sill protectors - exactly what do you have in mind and what does your car currently have on the sills?

Well, there's little point having a main dealer service the car, as hardly any have techs that have worked on an E31 before... I'd use Phil Crouch for the servicing - let me know if you need contact details.

On the windows, definitely should just be a combination of new seals and checking the alignment on the windows - which can be tricky - Sytner messed it up on one side of mine and it kept slicing through the seals!

Welcome to the fold, btw!

Zitat von arnie

Yes, the 18" Alpina Originals do look good. Just as and aside for those few people with a CSi, don't fit 18" and 285 section at ther rear as this will cause rubbing when the AHK operates.

The Softline, however, are less dished (requiring an inside spacer to maintain the correct offset) and they look more modern. Most new cars these days have little or no "dishing" on the wheels. Also, they have the same keyed cover plates and the bonus of hidden valves. The Original square-edged Alpina wheel dates from 1988 and so the Softline (1995) is more in keeping with the date of late model E31

I just mentioned them because they are easier and cheaper to find s/h than the original versions.

Dude, don't be afraid to go 80s retro - the E31 is very much a child of the 80s (like me!), so I personally think the older style is just the thing. Same goes for the E34 - can't imagine a B10 Bi-Turbo riding on Softlines, or even Flatlines, which are the true successors to the Ur-Classics.

Shiggsy, did you have to roll out your rear arches to fit the 19s? I notice your Alpinas were 17s...

Tell me this combo doesn't just look RIGHT. Only thing that's not quite right is the rear tyres, which at the time were 275 instead of 285 across. Have to say, the original (square-edged) Alpina wheels look best on the E31 to me, more so than either Flatline or Softline designs - I had 17" Softlines on my Alpina B8 4.6.

The 17s look okay, but the 18s definitely do punch it up a bit (and you can fit wider tyres all round)

Tell me this combo doesn't just look RIGHT. Only thing that's not quite right is the rear tyres, which at the time were 275 instead of 285 across. Have to say, the original (square-edged) Alpina wheels look best on the E31 to me, more so than either Flatline or Softline designs - I had 17" Softlines on my Alpina B8 4.6.

The 17s look okay, but the 18s definitely do punch it up a bit (and you can fit wider tyres all round)

Zitat von Paul_M

I've thought of buying a Lotus Exige but you'd probably shudder at such raw unrefinement! It's all about the driving experience ;)

LOL - I sold my Mk1 Exige to buy Rommel in 2001 - my wife couldn't handle living with the Lotus as our only car at the time!

Now Rommel's my least practical car, but some way off being my fastest...

BTW, the autobox in my B5 works very well, with the Alpina Switchtronic override system built into the steering wheel.