Beiträge von Ian Downie

Frank,

Did you see this CSi for sale in Spain ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…=2456184429&category=9835

"Rough" Translation

Absolutely impeccable and immaculate, revised of everything. Revisions Bmw, 140 thousand km, three proprietors with complete record, train back autodireccionable, new tires to use for the first time, motor V12, 385 CV, manual 6 speeds + key "S", full equips, ITV and sure a day. The production of the CSI you slime to little but of 1.500 units, of those which, with axis back autodireccionable, alone 800 unite. It was designed by MotorSport by that that their controls, suspension, motor, etc.. they take the stamp "M". it is Probably the Bmw but quick that has existed of series, with constrainer it reaches 259 km/h (crono, not of marcador)y without constrainer = aprox 284 km/h crono with a reasonable consumption = 15-16 liters each 100 km to 4.000 rpm in 6ª, key in posiccion "K" (they are aprox 200 km/h). The vemndo to have other 2 "M" 's. please, to abstain curious or people that doesn't understand. I will respond us mail on the price. Thank you

:x:x:x

Guys,

I need your help / advice / support here please .....

I posted earlier this week about taking my car (97 Euro 840Ci Auto) into the local dealer to get a bad misfire fixed. The dealer had the car for 7 days before they diagnosed the problem. It turned out to be that a cat (drivers side) needed to be replaced - which was done under my BMW Extended warranty. OK so far.

On Wednesday this week I drove the car 15 miles along the motorway back to my house. When I got out of the car , there was a small amount of sweet smelling steam coming from under the car (level with front of driver side door.)

I immediately rang the dealer and they said to take the car back in for a checkover. I was away on business (without my car) on Thurs/Friday so I arranged to take it in this morning (Saturday)

The first 14 miles of the journey were fine - on the motorway and the temperature outside of +2 degrees C.
    I then came off motorway into town and I noticed that the temperature gauge started to rise above normal.
    At a set of traffic lights clouds of white steam started to come out of the back of the car as I pulled away - and the car stopped running altogether.

I got the car towed the last 1/2 mile to the dealership where they put it up on the ramp.

They told me the radiator was empty and that they couldn't do any more test on the car until Monday - when it had cooled down (they close at lunchtime on Saturday for the weekend)

I said that I considered it almost 100% certain that the work they did on the car - and this issue of leaking coolant were related. i.e. they must have done something to the car to make this happen.

Their answer was that the cat and the radiator/cooling system are different components and that the loss of coolant must have come from a co-incidentally perished hose that occurred during my initial 15 mile home from the dealership.

One bogus explanation the mechanic offered was this
    "After we worked on the car we will have probably topped the coolant level up. There could have already been a cracked or leaking hose which hadn't shown the problem due to a previously low coolant level."
    THIS IS COMPLETE RUBBISH - as how come I have driven the car hundreds of miles previously without it stalling / overheating or similar - and yet 15 miles after they finished working on it - leaking steam appeared - and then a further 15 miles and the whole radiator was empty with steam coming out of all exhaust pipes.

Can anyone help with the following:-

1) Is it conceivable that during the replacement of the cat - that the exhaust system needed to be removed (or moved) in such a way that it could have hit/damaged a coolant pipe or similar ? (or are the two physically so far apart that it is unlikely ?)

2) Supposing the worst HAS happened and the cylinder head gasket has gone - will the remedial work be covered under my BMW Extended Warranty or will I have to claim against the dealership as it was "potentially" their fault ?

3) If the Cylinder head gasket has gone - what should I insist on being replaced to restore the engine ? Is there anything I need to make sure they do ?

I feeling pretty low right now - as I have only owned the car for 8 weeks and now have a 316i compact as a loaner.

As ever, sincere thanks for any help / advice or support you are able to offer.

Ian.

Hi,

I have '97 Euro 840Ci Auto.

Stock Differential is 2.81:1

I have spoken with a number of tuners who say that going to 3.64 diff "MAY" be too much.

Although it represents a 29% increase in twist - it also represents a 29% increase at revs at a given speed compared to revs with current diff.

I have therefore taken their advice and gone for a 3.15:1 diff from a 1991 750il.

This is a Limited slip diff - and so will help keep the back end on the road - but will only provide a modest 12% gain in twist.

I will let you know what difference I notice - but my feelings are that too much increase could ruin the cruising "feel" of the car and potentially make the rear end too easy to lose in UK climate and road surfaces.

Only my humble opinion :oops:

Ian

3.15:1 LSD from 750iL and PIAA Xtreme Force H1 x 4 lights for now.

The diff will make the 0-60 faster and the lights will elt me see where I'm going

After my new Alpina wheels I don't have any funds left at the moment for the car

:shock:

My car has been in all week - for misfire diagnosis - and guess what ......
    I need a new cat !!

Good news is :D:D:D
    1) BMW have agreed to put it through the Warranty !
    2) It is now purring like a dream
    3) My new 3.15:1 LS diff arrives next week.
    4) I am getting the PIAA light upgrades next week too.

Bad news is: :(:(:(
    1) It's snowing like hell up here in Glasgow at the moment - so I can't drive it

Ian.

PS Henry Bros BMW in Glasgow - top service (very informative and helpful)

I have the same issue in mine just now.

I think it's a Nokia - but am thinking about removing it and putting a Bluetooth kit in for my Sony phone.

Al,

I agree - and I would also be up for helping with admin tasks etc on the site.

Philippe deserves a huge amount of credit.
    There are things on this website that even Roadfly refers to !

Let's keep this growing and working as it will undoubtedly benefit us all in the long term.

Ian.

Remember there is a dedicated UK forum on this board...

Perhaps we should try to use that !! :lol:

You'll find at least 3 other members - Mark Woolley (Hythe) and Robin Sinclair (Robin 850) and Polashky on there.

They are all active -I have been speaking to them recently.

Ian

Intapart, London Road, Daventry, Northants
    Tel +44 (0)1327 310511, Fax +44 (0)1327 310000

Have a 1995 840 - cream interior.

I live in Glasgow and they don't have any pics avaialble.

Might be useful for some of you who live locally to check out.