Beiträge von Ian Downie

Alasdair,

Here's my thinking ...

BMW warranty covers most things although things that are supposed to be changed periodic replacement.

I saw on Roadfly an instance where BMW replaced cats under warranty... chhttp://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e31/forum.php?postid=821253&page=1

My argument would be this..

There MUST be a lifetime on cats. (+/- a few thousand miles) If they go before this then that is NOT wear and tear - that is FAILURE. Therefore in your low mileage car - you COULD claim - even against the WH warranty.

I would doubt that BMW would say that Cats should last less than 25K miles so you MIGHT have a case ?

Ian

Where did you buy car from ?

Presumably non BMW dealership ?

Wil the dealer cover cost of new cat ?

If so might be worth getting the BMW dealership to say both have gone - as it would seem logical that the other one won't be far behind ???

Keep us posted.

Ian.

PS apparently cats not covered by BMW warranty either

Hi Alasdair,

I bought my car from a non-BMW dealer who gave me a free Gold Warranty from Warranty Holdings. I was made aware of a couple of shortcomings of the is warranty in that 1) it only pays NATIONAL labour rate - which means it will not cover BMW rates !! leaving you with a shortfall if you want a dealer to fix your car and 2) the warranty only covers fixing the problem - leaving you to pay fopr the diagnosis element.
    Also, the old "Wear & Tear" clause is used a lot !!

Asa consequence and as my car had a valid BMW warranty I took the precaution (£650) of extending the BMW warranty for another year.

I still have the WH policy active (as it was free) and would turn to this if ever BMW let me down.

Do you have BMW warranty ?

I am having problems with mine at moment - it seems to pulse when acclearting under certain conditions. This feels like fuel starvation but apparnetly could also be Cats ?

I've got the Warranty and car booked in for next week.

Keep us posted with the results and I'll let you know what they say about my car.

Ian.

Alastair,

I just checked mine.

The P was not lit when I checked - but on opening door and locking again it stayed on for few minutes. It is lashing with rain here so I dived back in house so couldn't wait to see if it went out.

My guess then - is that it stays on for a few minutes before going out.

I also have 1 flashing red light on stereo and 1 flashing red LED of alarm indicator (top left by gear stick)

Ian

COIPY OF MY POST ON ROADFLY ... greatful for any help you guys can offer

1) Wheel Cleaning
    My car came with cross bolted spoke alloys - which are difficult to keep clean. Any tips on how to keep brake dust off them and help keep them cleaner for longer ?

2) Wind noise
    I have read a lot about torn window seals etc but mine seem to be OK, and yet I still note some wind noise at higher speeds.
    I am not sure how quiet the car should be - I know this is a subjective issue, but should I expect near silence ?

3) Rear side window
    One of the rear side windows doesn't quite lower all the way. It remains about 10mm above the seals. Is there a quick way to reset this ?

4) BMW Extended Warranty.
    As the car has always been servioced by BMW main dealers I was able to extend the warranty.

5) Anti Corrosion.
    The car is 6 years and 3 months old. I was wondering what the BMW dealers would say about the small (less than 10mm square) rust spot on boot lid- just below light - as it surely didnt start to rust AFTER 6 years - simply the previous owner didnt bother to get it fixed.

6) Sun roof
    The rear edge of sunroof sits about 5mm below the roof level. I have read the posts about resets but this doesn't seem to work. Anyone had a dealer fix this for free ?

7) and finally ....
    Thanbks for your time guys - look forward to taking an active role in the forum now I have my very own 8er !!!

Happy New Year

Ian.

I have 97 840 in UK and found that fitting a Tracker significantly reduced my insurance premium by over £200 a year !

The factory alarm and Immobilser are Thatcham Category 1 approved (apparently)

Ian.

Hi Genius,

I have just bought 97 840Ci Sport Auto in UK.

The book says 7+ seconds 0- 60 in with Auto box,

Maybe once the roads get less icy I'll have a try and let you know...

By the way - how did you time yourself ?

Ian.

PS - Do you have any experience with BMW extended warranty in UK ?

:D:D:D
    Well - after 12 long months of looking I have finally found the car I wanted.

Today, I have taken delivery of a pristine 1997 840CI A Sport in Velvet Blue / Silver (Individual)

I am based in Glasgow and am sure that after a few days of playing around with my new car - I will undoubtedly need help in answering some questions.

In the meantime, I wish you all a Happy Christmas and will post some pictures up as soon as I can.

Ian Downie

PS - Anyone know how long the grin lasts every time I just look at the car ???