Beiträge von PhilC

SOLD

Advertising here attracted no interest and is a complete waste of time.

Whilst I loved owning and driving the car thery are worth nothing and will never be classics because they are too complicated and expensive to maintain. My car was perfect with everything working. Had it one thing electrical wrong with it no trader was going to touch it.

Life goes on.... I have a Cessna 172 now. Lower top speed but alot more thrilling than watching the bumper in front sat in a 286BHP car!!!

Enjoy your 8s and if you are thinking of buying one accept that your resale value will be peanuts then you won't be disappointed

Guys

I've investigated RTA's on company leases. Mainly desert locations. The difference between cuts and bruises cf fatalities and serious injuries is the wearing of a seatbelt. I've seen this so many times especially in incidents involving roll overs.

PhilC

Shiggsy

Thanks for the link. Not sure what next. Faster, newer with as good a ride as the 8 (may be difficult to find). May change my mind when I get back in the cockpit again :oops:

The armrest makes a real difference on long drives. The original Dealer was Stephen James in Stevenage. They fitted the armrests. Unfortunately they don't have a BMW dealer franchise anymore.

As for the remote, my daughter finds it very useful to control our music selection from the back seat!!!

Phil

Guys

Thinking of selling my car. Not advertised it anywhere else yet. Thought I'd offer it here first. There's nothing wrong with it but after about 2 years of ownership I just fancy a change and I can afford something newer now.

I'm the third owner; the first owned it for 3 years then sold it to my brother in 1998; He spent alot of money on an Alpine Sound System (Sub-woofer professionally fitted in the boot behind the bucket seats). My brother did mainly motorway miles with it. I bought it from him in 2003 with 106K on the clock. When I'm home its a daily driver. Bodywork is not perfect but it scrubs up well. The drive is superb. I've had it fastidiously maintained by Autotechnik (BMW) in Old Trafford, Manchester.

1995 M 840Ci 126,000 miles
    Oxford Green / Light Grey Interior
    FBMWSH + BMW Used Car Warranty (which is transferrable) till Oct '05
    4 Litre Engine - I checked with BMW and it had the Engine blocks changed at 26K miles under warranty (due to the Nikasil problem)

Additional Features over the normal spec
    - TRACKER system fitted
    - Cat 1 Alarm (Clifford)
    - Alpine Hi-Fi 6DC changer c/w Sub-Woofer (has a remote control as well)
    - Colour coded car mats (I had these made by Autostyle) Look better IMHO.
    - Selling Dealer fitted a centre Arm Rest (See UK Section - Main Discussion, Page 2 "Centre Arm Rest" for pics)
    - Just had Inspection 1

I'm in no hurry to sell and would be just as happy to hold onto it and continue to run it as I still love driving it. Turns heads wherever I go. The BMW Used Car Warranty is extendable (and transferrable) and IMHO you can't get a better guarantee of proper servicing and maintenance.

Some pics

Hi guys

some pics of mine.. From Autostyle... 1+ year old

Not a great pic - mats close to Oxford Green with grey binding - kick plate scratches very easily and soon looks dull

Clean easily. Managed to scrub off chewing gum from a back mat without too much trouble

Very happy with my purchase

PhilC

I used to think that what I had on mine was standard. After a BMW event last year (forget where :oops: cos I gate crashed it) I found out that mine was custom made by the dealer in Stevenage (Steven James). Does anyone else have anything similar or know who will and can custom make them?

Slid back position

Slid forward position

Lid open (very shallow; I can only fit the Alpine remote in there)

Cheers
    PhilC

Peter

saw this abit late.. hope you haven't stuck your mats in the washing machine. If you still haven't DONT. I did it for a lesser name make that shall go unamed after the missus parked some chicken madras on them!! Basically I knackered them and had to get Autostyle to make me a set of new ones :oops:

Phil

You are getting a reasonable deal

Similar, I use an Autotecknik, an independent which is supposed to have cheaper labour charge than main dealer (no curtesy car)
    Oil Insp -£140
    Insp 1 - £252
    Insp 2 - £600 (consider Jag, Porche and Audi A/S8 are alot more for their main service we don't do bad)

Warranty £650 - Reckon I've had about the same amount of work done under warranty last year (spurious oil leak). This year had both batteries replaced under the warranty.

PhilC

If you can get the spec of the resister; you may find that you can get one from elsewhere for peanuts. Variable resisters are not space technology. Tough one though. Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.
    PhilC

Mines about the same when I push it. I guess there are more parameters that just RPM's that influence gearshift. Throttle position and possibly load as well.

PhilC

Phil

Combustion is a finely tuned process that IC engine designers spend alot of time trying to perfect. I really would not put anything in that was or is not specified by BM. That not to say that carbon deposits cannot build up and change the operating parameters of your car. Physical removal of these has got to be better than a decent helping of redex (however impractical that sounds)!!!! Do you have a problem or do you want to take preventative action?

PhilC