Beiträge von stuart

NO. That pic was taken a week before I bought that 1992 car (Feb 2003). Those are the previous owners plates. I bought it in Seatle Wa. and drove it to Arizona. It got totaled there by a drunk driver 3 months later.

Two years ago I moved to Michigan, and in Dec 2003 I bought the Black 1991 in San Diego California and trailered it to Michigan.

I may get to the New York area 8 fest with the black 1991 Magnaflow equiped 850i though.

I had that exhaust on my 1992 850i. It was very nice. It made the most beautiful burble at idle that was to die for. Idling through a parking lot there was not a head that wasn't turned to see what was making that beautiful sound. At 800 rpm or higher it was silent, or at least you couldn't hear it from the inside of the car.

I now have the Magnaflows on a 1991 850i and do not like them all that much. They make a much louder sound at all rpm's below about 3000, and there is quite a drone when coasting down to a light. It really shows off that the car has an automatic trans.

I think the Magnaflows would be really cool if I had a manual trans.

Here is a pic of my 1992 with H&R springs and SuperSprint exhaust.

Wheel diameter will not affect camber, but offset and tire width will.

Imagine you jack up the car from the brake rotor. Everything pretty much the same as far as suspension angle right? Now jack it up at the center point of the lower controll arm. Suspension angle down a lot right? Jack the car at the inner control arm bushing and the wheel is all the way down. In other words, altering how far the wheel sits out from the car will affect the camber a small bit, both because of the ratio of the wheel out from the car and the differing stresses on the suspension parts combined with having rubber bushings in the suspension.

Moving the wheels out on the car by 1cm will increase the negative camber by aproximately .25 degrees. Some Antera wheels have such an offset. (23mm instead of 13 mm for the front.) This info from Greg Kovorcees of the Roadfly forum. He was kind enough to answer a number of questions of mine a while back. He is the one who is building the anti-sway bars refered to as K-Bars.

I recently aquired a used set of Dinan bars and am going to install the rear only. I will also be installing a set of K-Macs so as to increase the camber in front from -.2 on one side and -.5 on the other to about -1.6 on both sides.

stuart

Stock camber is -.5 degrees (Top of front wheels leaned in .5 deg) 1.5 or 1.75 would be much better. There are a couple of things that will get you more camber. I just bought k-mac camber and caster adjusting plates. MWrench on the roadfly board makes static plates. GregK is making them also but is backloged. It may take a few months to a year to get a set to you.

Wheel offset has a small effect on camber and none on caster.

Yet another limiter at 170 mph located in the fuel or throttle system. Not sure how it is not eliminated by the 3 chips, but aparently it is not. I think it is in the computer that controls the throttle by wire and it's synchronization.

I was reading about a car that had it's engine built up by I can't remember who, and they had taken it to a 7 mile oval track to see how fast it was going to go. They were hoping for 185 or so. It pulled strong to 170 and hit a wall.

So the chips yopu are speaking of only remove the 155 limiter, but unless you add 200 hp or so you wont run into the second one.

Well, my 1994 325is 5 speed (130,000 miles) is faster 0-60 than my 1991 850i Automatic (52,000 miles) and the M3 should still be hauling ass at 60 - 120 or so, so unless the M3 falls on it's face badly at 130 I should think the M3 will win by a large distance.

Ditto. You can see it on the back of my car. The "V" part matches the angle of the trunk to fender gap perfectly. It did not come on any 8 series cars anywhere, or any 7's in the U.s. It was aparently an option on the E38 750's in Europe. They were installed on the "C" pillars of those cars.

I am 6'2" and have the same problem. That infernal sunroof is the bane of my 8 owning existance. It seems all BMW's are plagued with them. Next I expect locusts or something.

I have found that raising the front of the seat even a little raises the rear also, so both the front and rear have to be all the way down. Next you have to move the bottom foreward a bit so you can recline the back more. The steering wheel is quite a reach then, but that's as good as it gets. A tremendous amount of comfort, back seat capacity and even performance was sacrificed for the timeless and even supercar looks of the 8.

It will never be as roomy and comfortable as the ever usefull 3 series, (I just bought one, a '94 325is) but especially late at night after your spine is not being held as straight you can get your head off the roof.

Or you could find one that is perfectly maintained and will likely need nothing for a long time to come.

Well, I don't know what country you are in, but in case you are in the United States, here are 2 websites you can go to that have wheels and wheel and tire packages ready to go. They come with the new lug bolts, center caps, emblems, mounted and ballanced etc.

thewheelexchange

aaarims

On the aaarims site, ckick on the e38 7 series car. It uses the same offsets as the 8. Tires are a touch shorter for the 8, but they will get you the right sizes if you order from them.

I bought 18" (8" ft and 9.5" rear) M parallels in machined finish with Kuhmo 712 tires (245/40/18 and 275/35/18) from aaa rims for $1400 plus shipping. I bought the same package but with chrome rims and Toyo Proxes T1s tires from the wheel exchange for $1800 plus shipping ($100).

Happy shopping.

Welcome on behalf of everyone you can be sure. I think I again speak for everyone when I say that is an absolutely gorgeous color. Shame to hear about your murderous gas prices, a car that pretty must make it a wee bit easier to take I would imagine.

Fartin nugget! Ok, maybe this will do it. Here is the avatar and gallery for the guest post above.

P.s. The second shot in the gallery is of the machined version with the Kuhmos on the same car, (the wing was off getting re-done). I tried them but sold them on e-bay as I thought the black car could use more flash. Those I got from AAA Rims. Go on their BMW Specials and click on the E38 (750il 1994-2001) that car has the same offsets and bolt pattern. The tires will be slightly different size, but they know what you need if you call them.

The chrome set I got from the wheel exchange. Their prices are a tiny bit lower, and they use FM rims. They offer many styles for the 8, they have a gallery to look at just as AAA does. If you are nearer to Michigan, the difference may be made up in shipping.

This has been discussed elsewhere and yes the computers and wiring harnesses (I think) at a minimum. The general concensus was that it would be cheaper to sell what you have and spend the extra 20 grand for a CSi.

I had heard that you would loose HP by removing the cats. There is a guy on Roadfly that did that, he also tried headers, different size exhaust pipes etc. He did many dyno runs.

Those who have pulled the heads say that the exh ports are horrible. That seems to be the bottle neck, and other mods seem to just hurt the fuel mix and cost hp.

I should think installation of the black boxes by Split Second would cause mods like cat removal to actually add Hp. A number of people have done that, but none that I am aware of that didn't do significant other mods like cams porting, displacement increase etc...

Nice one. Is that Dimant Schwartz Metalic? My '92 ws that color. It was a very nice color. To get youy pics to have thumbnails they must be 100kb or smaller. I right click on them and l click "edit" then go to "stretch/skew" and change the percentages. Try a few till you get it just below 100kb. Go to "file" and "save as".

3.64 Isn't that what the stock 850i auto has? I think it is. If so, I have one crated and ready to go sitting in my garrage. It came out of my 1992 850i when I did a diff swap last year. Car had 70,000 miles on it at the time.