Beiträge von nickcropper

Thanks

Got rid of the air! Thanks guys!!

And Theo, thanks for the kind words. I didn't know you cared! Hope you're well pal. Point taken by the way - I promise to spend more time in the forum!! :oops:

Cheers,

Nick

Hi guys,

My 850 is running hot again - it just started today. The fans are working and the thermostat was changed less than 12 months ago.

I think it is most probably an airlock as it was last time. Can anyone tell me the best way to bleed the coolant? Do I leave the cap on or off etc.?

Hope someone can shed some light......... :?

Nick

Hi Tee,

I'm going to have a look tomorrow and see what can be done. It gets so hot under there I agree that they need to be enclosed. The loss ofpower is immense. Just don't want to lose that awesome sound though. Not like a boy racers Janspeed, more like a throaty engine growl!

I'll take the boxes out completely tomorrow and run ducting like you suggest and let you know the outcome. Can see a morning of improvisation (and frustration) coming on!

Thanks again Tee!

Nick

Hi Tee,

She is running fine now. The AA got rid of some air and I got the last bit out on Wednesday night.

I have a little bit of a problem with somthing else and was wondering if you can make any suggestions. I mentioned that I have fitted a couple of Pipercross inducion kits. I simplt took the top off the original boxes, took the filters out and the new filters are resting on the bottom part of the existing boxes as this is where the air pipes lead to (phew! hope that makes sense). Anyway, the sound is fantastic but as they are drawing in hot air I have lost performance. I was thinking about bonnet vents but the only place these could go to make a difference would be where the lights are. I don't think they would be too effective further up the bonnet?

Any suggestions?

Sorry to keep picking your brain but you're one of the most knowledgeable 8 ownere I know.

Cheers pal,

Nick

Hi,
    A similar thing happened to me but it was the automatic transmission failsafe. It did come up on the dash though. It felt like the car was only running on 6 cylinders.

My engine also switch half of itself off one very cold morning. Again this is a failsafe. I turned the engine off the engine off and it was ok when I fired up again.

Hope you get it sorted. It's an awful/worrying feeling when something like that happens and you don't know why.

Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers!

Nick

Hi Tee,

I'm great thanks. Just been spending quite a bit of time away with work. Hope you're well too.

Both fans are working. The car seems to be ok while it's driving (not tested it in traffic yet though) and also while idling. I just noticed that the temp needle seems to rise dangerously high when I turn the engine off and the main fan's not running. I am a little over cautious when it comes to temperature due to the history and panic when the temp creeps over 3/4.

It had three hoses replaced last week (the ones that go behind the manifold on the passenger side) which is why the airlock suggestion was made.

I've driven the car tonight and it seems to be ok but it was quick blip down the motorway and back.

If you could let me have your number again that would be great. I'll only phone if there is a problem though.

Thanks once again!

Nick

PS By the way, your car's looking great! Did you ever get the Alpine gear in it?

Hi Guys,

My 850 has had a couple of hoses replaced and it seems to be running hot. The AA came around today and said that it could be an airlock. They opened the bleed screw and some air came out.

The car seemed to be fine until I got home (drove around 4 miles). But after I turned the engine off the temp gauge was creeping up and got to over three quarters. I know it makes sense as the main fan is not running and there is no cold air cooling the engine down as when you drive but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

The car has also had a couple of Pipercross induction kits fitted recently and was wondering if this could cause the car to run hotter than normal.

The car has a history off coolant problems ranging from hoses bursting, replacement thermostat (900 miles ago) and a heater matrix (12 months ago).

There could possible still be some air in there so iof anyone can advise me the best way to get rid of it that would be great.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Stuart,

Got the reply from Gino at Nights Auto. The price for all four discs is just $260 - excellent value. However, as I'm in the UK the shipping is $240.

I'm still waiting for a few other places to get back to me - especially the guys from Brembo UK. I'm off to Namibia quad racing over the desert on Thursday for a week :lol::lol::lol: so I'll chase them up when I get back.

Cheers,

Nick

Tried to get into the site but it's under construction. I have e-mailed them but haven't got a reply yet. They are excellent value. Hope they ship to UK. I contacted the UK distributor for Brembo a few days ago, but they also haven't replied yet. They'll probably get in touch some time over the next week.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

Still waiting for a couple of places to get back to me. The brakes are fine at the moment, just like the look of drilled - especially as the wheels allow the discs to be seen. Although upgrading will increase efficiency, I'm doing it more for cosmetic reasons.

Hi Tee,

It's a Clifford Eagle. My Dad had a Clifford fitted on his last car but that also didn't flip back into arm mode after the velet had been activated. You had to manually flick the switch (on his model it was actually a code that had to be tapped in). Maybe it was a different model.

The guys who did the matrix (it was covered under warranty from the dealer I bought the car from - not main dealer) say that they put everything back the way it was before stripping it. However, they're going to say that anyway aren't they.

It looks like I may have to trace the wiring (if possible). Just finding the time at the moment though.

Haven't done anything about the fuel gauge yet :oops: . There's a couple of jobs that need doing, more out of personal choice than necessity, so I'll get everything done at the same time.

Nick

I had the heater matrix replaced a while ago (what a job) and the Clifford switched into valet mode. We've looked all around to locate the valet switch but can't find it. Anyone have any ideas on the most common places they put them?

Thanks guys,

I nade an enquiry with Motormec.co.uk as I used to deal with them with an old e31 Alpina I had. They may be able to get hold of a set of ATE power discs.

I looked at the wheel damage in the light of day today and got that sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. I phoned the garage and they were understanding. They know me well as my office used to be opposite and a few of the guys used them for tyres/exhausts etc.. They know I wouldn't try it on, so they've offered to have the wheel refurbished. A guy from a company called Chips Away called me this afternoon to arrange an inspection. Problem is that, although the wheel look in excellent condition, you can't just have one done can you.......

Nick

Hi Guys,

The car went in for an MOT today (roadworthiness test for those who aren't familiar with UK procedures) and there's an advice note for one of the front discs.

I can get vented discs no problem, but quite fancy a pair of cross drilled. Would anyone know of a UK supplier? Or does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Nick

PS The bas****s in the garage also scuffed my o/s rear rim and claim it was already there when I took it in!

Just following on from a discussion under another subject which developed into a debate on the new 6 Series. At the time I hand't seen the 6, so couldn't comment.

I was browsing through a car mag in the dentist's waiting area earlier today and came across a pic of the new 6 Series. I personally think that it's not a patch on the 8. It's nice, but I don't think it has the x factor.

I suppose there are plenty of people who will think that the new 6 is the most aesthetically pleasing vehicle ever designed. However, my personal opinion is that that particular accolade belongs to the vehicle which has brought us all together. I am sure it drives beautifully and probably has many other attributes, but to look at - for me - there's only 1 BMW ever built for which I will never tire looking at or talking about.... :wink: