Beiträge von nickcropper

No problem.

There is a big difference in price. UK is sooo expensive. I was in the States over Christmas and was amazed at how realistically priced everything was.

My personal e-mail address is nick.cropper@btinternet.com if you need to get in touch directly.

Thanks for the advice re the fuel problem. The car's due for a service in the Spring, so I'll get them to check it out. I'll try anything to avoid spending the big quids on the EKM!

Cheers,

Nick

Part

Hi Stuart,

I've just spoken to my local BMW dealership. They don't have it in stock, but they can get it for you within 7 working days - it comes direct from Germany but would have to come to UK.

They say that it's the additional fitting kit for the 7 series navagation radio system - is that right?

The cost here in the UK is £(s) 130.22 + VAT = Total £(s)153.01

Just a thought, but it may be cheaper trying to get someone in Germany to order it for you.

If you'd like to do it through me, it's not a problem.

Nick

Hi Rey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll check out Roadfly.

I just think that my car sits a little high - especially at the front.

Thanks once again!

Nick

Hi,

Yep, 8Fest sounds good and I'd love an invite to the pre Fest celebrtations!! :D Thanks!

I'm slowly learing about the technical stuff. It's so refreshing to speak to people who are enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge!

I'll spend some time on Roadfly this week. I tried to log on earlier but forgot my password ( :oops: ) and the e-mail I registered with is for my computer at work. I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can get on.

Have a nice evening!

Nick

Hi Le Transporteur,

Yep, I'd be up for the 8Fest depending on work.

I find the power of my 850 more than sufficient even though it is completely standard. My previous toy was a 1988 Ferrari Mondial which was a 3.2 V8 (same engine that's in the 328 GTS/B). There's much more torque with the 850 and I am quite sure if it was de-restricted, the top end would be higher also. Just the handling where the Ferrari wins - you know the expression "it felt like the car was on rails"..............completely unreliable tho, so it was expensive to maintain. But as I say to Sam, my wife, you can't put a price on enjoyment - right guys! :lol:

I think if I upgrade my 850, I may firstly change the springs and drop the car slightly. If anyone has any recommendations/suggestions on this subject they would be more than welcome........I'm quite non-technical so be gentle with me - :oops:

Nick

PS Just got to say that it's so cool being part of such a friendly community!

Weather

Hi Alasdair,

Today is glorious sunshine here in Manchester.

When I woke up I thought, "at last, the first perfect day of the year to give the car the full treatmenty".

My plans were soon quashed when Sam, my wife, declared that we should go into the country for Sunday lunch!

Ah well.......if the forecasters are right, we're in for another fantastic summer - perfect 8 weather!

Cheers,

Nick

Meguiars

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the post.

The marks I am talking about are very fine scratches which are circular. They do appear on most dark cars.

I agree. Chloths are extremely important. However, in my particular case, although I use Zymol cotton towels and microfibre wipes, I still have the swirls. I think that my swirls are quite deep, although they only look light.

I've also been using Gold Class shampoo which I agree is excellent. But have recently started using the Mirror Glaze shampoo/conditioner - it's awesome! I've also got the synthetic micro-drying towel which I am impressed with also - I used it for the first time yesterday on another car.

You mentioned the yellow Meguiars foam applicators. I have used these but find them too full of air. I personally think that Zymol applicators are more effective - but that's just personal choice.

Meguiars have some great products. I was recently in the States and was guled to the Speef Channel which is sponsored by Meguiar's. Not only do they have great products, the Meguiar family also come across as totally genuinely devoted to the automitive industry.

Happy detailing!

Nick

Clean

Hi Alisdair,

Bad news about the key damage :evil: . It's happened to me a couple of times (not with the 8 tho - touch wood). Don't know what goes through some peoples' minds and what drives them to do things like that. Then again, the 8's such a beautiful looking car, jealousy is most probably the motive.

Regarding your question regarding which products to use, it may be worth having a look at the replies I got to my question regarding swirl marks.

I've tried most products which are readily available in the UK including Zymol, Maguiars as well as the usual Autoglym, Mer etc., but, like you, am constantly looking for the perfect concours finish. Although I receive many compliments regarding the finish of my 850, I am constantly striving for better results.

As far as shampoo goes, I swear by either Zymol Autobathe (quite pricey but 100% natural ingredients) or Maguiars professional Mirror Glaze (shampoo & conditioner Item# M-6201 - 3.8 litre is £25.47). I order my Maguiars stuff from extremecarcare.co.uk and deal with a guy called Steve who is really helpful. You can get Zymol from either http://www.zymol.co.uk or http://www.swceurope.com (they are the same site). Becky or Jez at Zymol are also very helpful.

Regarding preparation and waxing/feeding, there are so many products out there and it really is difficult knowing which ones to try. From what I've recently been told, it is important to use a clay car on the body prior to prepping and waxing. Another thing I have also been told to remember is that the finish of the car determined by 90% preparation and just 10% wax/feed or polish.

A number of people have recommended Zaino products which I am going to try next - http://www.zainobros.com. Sal Zaino is a guru on detailing and will reply personally with any questions you e-mail to Zaino.

Ian and Le transporteur have both recommended the following link which I have found the be a great recourse for detailing - http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/

I don't know how much of the above you already know, but I hope at least one part of it helps.

Nick