Beiträge von theo

Hey Steve, how many miles did you drive that day?

I thought a man of your standing would have flown!

And for those of you getting 18 miles per gallon..........you aren't driving hard enough! Around town I'm lucky to see 15MPG and our gallon is 4.54 litres , same as yours.

Paul M in your twenties, get ready for a few more years of cog swapping and then when you get to your 50's you will be glad for a sludge-omatic, for a while, and then one day when you spot the correct Getrag 6 speed on fleaybay you may lapse into a momentary insanity, as I did, and buy it.

Apart from the short period of insanity "she who must be obeyed" happened to say 'it's a pity it isn't a manual' because she would love to drive it on a racetrack.

Do you think this will keep her off my case for a while?

cheers

Having sex at my age is probably more difficult!

The early cars are a two piece seal whereas the 93 up is a one piece and a lot easier to refit.

Simply pull the old seal at the front join and refit a new one. That simple!

Cheers

Well there ya go!. Always some new light on a hard and fast rule huh?

If anyone is going to buy a 535 unit then be warned that there may now be two sizes used in 535's.

Stuart8er refers to 535 sport which we don't have here in Oz so it may be that the sport version of the 535 uses the 210mm version.

BE CAREFUL and measure the 210 case against the smaller (not much) 535 unit. I learned the hard way when I walked through a wreckers shelves and bought 6 of what I thought were the 210 size!

Trust me, they don't fit. You would bet your bollocks they are the same when you look at one and the other one five minutes later. They are that close.

Cheers

Mturbo, you got it right!

I see many answers telling that only M5 E34 diffs will fit.

WRONG!!

The 210mm series diff is used in E31, E32, E34 models that have V8 4.0, 4.4 or V12 engines but they are not found in either 6 cylinder or the smaller M60 3.5. So if you go shopping for an upgrade make sure you dont confuse the 210 for the small diff.....they look identical but are about 10% smaller and will confuse anm expert.

E31 are the same but no LSD's were used
    E32 uses small on V8 3.5 and large diff on V12 (you need a 4.0 or bigger)
    E34 uses small on 3.5 V8 and large on the V8 4.0 or M5

I have the 3.64 with "S"(Sperrdifferential paint stencilled on case which is LSD) and am considering 3.91 despite the fuel increase as its a weekender not a daily ride. If fuel cost bothers on a daily ride then 3.46 might be a better option.

Steve Parkes (steve840), larrikan by the way, reckons the 3.91 lays a nice pair of tread trails and just talking about it almost gives me the need to know, besides, real men smoke tyres don't they?

Cheers boys

Like a bad smell, you know I'm here but not sure where!

I've been interstate too often, started to put my Aussie Muscle car back together (1971 Falcon mit der big cubes), winning trophies at the BMW club Nationals for best E31 in the land and also been in poor health of late so I have been laying low
    Cheers

Do you have a V8 or V12?

Reason for the ask is that an larger throttle body for the V8 is in the pipeline. I have played around here in Australia and found significant improvement in the V8 but a waste of time on the V12. I have shopped the world and can't find anyone doing one for these cars so I am currently negotiating with a machine shop to have a run of them made.

Any preliminary interest would be good as numbers will make the difference to end cost.

As for cat removal on the V8 it does make a difference but the consequence on legality might be risky. Certainly is where I am although the temptation was too great to not try! Perhaps removing the internals with an iron bar and leaving the appearance will get you through MOT checks although ignorance of a burnt out Cat could still be risky. It's up to you.

cheers

Hey Terry,

In a word No. They have had various resellers for camber kits but none of them has ever had enough enquiry for bars to inspire them to place an order. s guess its a case of "the chicken and the egg", which comes first the bar or the demand.

If I lived in the US I would buy a mix of early and late bars so I had enough to do say 10 cars. Kevin would do a deal on that if you were interested.

Cheers
    Theo

I have the K-Mac bars on my 95 840 along with the Camber adjuster kit

The rear bar is 1 mm heavier than the ones made by Alpina Dinan etc and the front is 28.5mm. this combination was designed by a guy in the US who did a heap of track testing and found that the bias on the stock setup caused the front tyres to scrub when going hard on corners (don't forget these cars were made to go fast in a straight line, they were never made to do much more than ooooze around corners).

Correcting the front to rear bias changes the handling characteristics and the tyre scrub. The KMAC front bars have three mount holes for the link pin to allow for stiffer or softer and a change in bias depending on driver style and whether for road or track.

The front camber and caster can be adjusted by adding their camber kit whereas the stock setup only offers toe in toe out adjustment unlike the rear suspension which is three way adjustment already.

hey guys,

long time since my last visit. I see Parksie is still the old Larrikin and good to see Terry Y still staying out of the wife's way by giving his much sought after assistance.

One of these days I might just arrive at your local, Stevie boy, and you had better get busy getting your breweries to make some new flavours because i have tasted yours and ours. Nuf said on that ?

The tow hook on the yellow car is a BMW part. $1500 AUD ten years back and he bought it to trailer the Harley!

cheers

troubleshooting the front end wobbles in order of most frequently occurring

Caster rod bushes failing. These are the rear end of the upper cast iron arm from the bottom of the shocker. Life span is 80,000 to 100,000 klms

Aftermarket large bore wheels fitted without hub centering rings. E31 uses a smaller diameter than all other models and will run out of round without them

wheel balance or out of round rimes or tyres. Check for roundness on a "Off car balancer"

Steering box wear. Adjust the centre bolt on top of the box with an Allen Key.
    Seaarch the archives for my article and step by step instructions. This is a prick of a job but if all other items are ok then this may assist. My car has 200,000klms up and it reduced the wobbles greatly.

Hope it helps

I just noticed the post re starters. the 840 is a common Bosch design but sadly BMW choose not to service a soleniod on its own.

If you have determined that it is a solenoid/starter problem take it to an Auto Electrcian who is able to diagnose and rebuild any worn or broken parts.

Salt corrosion on European roads doesn't help matters so it may be just a case of seizing mechanicals. If so a rebuild is still worthwhile because the in and out labour is not an easy job.

Hope it helps

You lucky old man!

I have been thinking similar and had an eye on a M62 with steptronic but for the avionics!

I did happen to talk to Wokke re the OBD@ chip option.
    My understanding is that he can do a chip however the kicker is you need to find a local sparkie to open the protection programme that keeps people like us away from the chip.

the chip is simple to replace but the protection programme needs someone more qualified than most. Wokke can do but the problem is he had someone send him a box but he got hit bigtime, for import duty into Germany on the customer's box!

I'm wacthing your proigress and wish you minimal stumblingd

Cheers from another old man

I have computer display open at present and can tell you it can be done. you need to open it (take time and care) you will find a plastic strip that is colored orange and you would need to find some wit ht e color of your choice.

Without going to take a close look I seem to recall that the service interval colors may nedd to be cut and pasted, if yoy get my drift.

I reckon the speedo wil be a repeat of the OBC

Cheers