Beiträge von theo

noise in the steering

Check the top of the front suspension spring towers while someone turns the wheel. You may feel or hear a grinding if the bearing is shot. The top of the spring retainer has a bearing to allow the strut to turn and can be the cause.

A new replacement part from BMW is almost as exoensive as a house so try for a used one or get a set of adjustable ones from K-Mac Suspension (Australia) they are much cheaper and allow seperate camber and caster adjsutment which thwe factory stuff won't. There are dealers worldwide.
    Theo

Can anyone tell me at what RPM an 840 5 speed should upshift at wide open throttle?

The Tacho calibrations show broken orange warnings from 6000 to 6500 then its orange all the way suggesting redline, or what I believe to be the high end upshift. Mine changes at about 6600/6700 so I wonder if the trans computer has been modified. My dealer doesnt have a friggin clue but he did suggest that some 840s had a bad control map and that when dealers do a rebuild that they reprogram the TCU.

Any clues or stories of your own change points?
    Theo