Beiträge von Mojo

Answer is ..... M60

Thanks Gentlemen. I used both sites and both gave the M60 as the engine under my hood. I was hoping for the 4.4 but the M60 given me no trouble for 5 years.... so no complaints.

Thanks again,
    Allan

Probably time that I figure out whether I've got the 4 or 4.4 litre. Any easy ways to spot the difference? My 840 was built in 95 when there were still some of the old M60's going in, mid-year switching over to the new M62's.

Thanks again guys for all the tips..... more power, less fuel, and $5000 in my pocket rather than the dealer's. Seems like a no-brainer.

Catless

I think I am going to try and run the car without the cats, replacing them with stainless pipe. Has anyone out there tried this? What about the sensors, warning lights etc?

testing

Most service stations have inspection licenses for the safteys. they have not yet introduced emission testing in this province but my rejection was based on age and condition. In may case the BMW also did the inspection.

Just had my 8 in for its annual saftey inspection and was told that it needs new cats at $2500/each! The dealer says they will have to ship them in from Germany. Yikes! I'll learn how to fabricate them myself before I'd pay $5000. Does anyone have any suggestions. In Canada our emission regulatiions will not allow us to cut them out or bypass them and in my province (NS) our saftey inspecitons include exhaust and emissions. There must be an aftermarked replacement or substitution????? Please......

The buttons on my key are getting hard to use/warn out so am thinking about replacing it. I've heard they are outrageously expensive from dealers. Are there any other suppliers? Long shot but worth putting it out there.

My car is away for the winter and needs a trickle charger to maintian the batteries. I have battery charger that has a 2 amp setting. Would that be low enough to leave on for the witner. Next, can I place it in the trunk and hook it up to one of the batteries that way. Will it automatically charge both or would I have to connect the two batteries with jumper cables first? Shouldn't be this complicated should it.....

thanks for any tips.

Downside to using a cover

Last winter I covered my 8 with a cover similar to the one you have described and secured by a rope between those two attachment points in the middle. When I came home after being away for a few days I discovered that the wind had blown the front of the cover off and left it flapping around. In the spring when I was cleaning the car up I discovered chafing from the cover at several locations. Buffing was not able to get rid of the marks so I will have to paint it. I will never use a cover again (except indoors). I'm building a garage this spring. You just can't beat indoor storage.

Thanks, I drive the car so seldom that I'd forgotten about that little feature. I'll wait until the blizard we are now experiencing lets up just in case I end up with the windows stuck in the down postion and a car full of snow to start off 2009:drink3: Happy New Year and thanks again.

My car is off the road for the winter and had not been started for about 3-weeks. When I went out to let her run for a few minutes and cycle the AC I was unable to open the doors. The remote raises the lock buttons (as does the key) and the interior lights come on, but both doors remain locked. They don't appear to be frozen as niether door will budge even minimally. Any suggestions??

Batteries

Thanks for all the info. The snow is almost all gone and I'm keen to get her out on the roal again. That's the bonus of winter storage, when you get them out in the spring it's like driving a new car every spring! Good feeling.

Anyway, thanks for the help

Batteries

I'm in Halifax NS. I've made a few calls but haven't come up with anything. I'm not sure who carrires Interstate around here.

Once I do find replacements, do you have to do much tearing apart of the trunk to get the old ones out? How much did you have to pay (ball park)?

Thanks

Sorry Wuffer but I was actually looking for replacement batteries although a battery minder would be a good idea for next winter. I'll try the Canadian Tire product. Thanks for the tip.

Batteries were dead after winter storage (no trickle charger) so I'm looking for an aftermarket supplier in the US or Canada. I read in one letter that someone had found them made by Excel. I haven't seen a dealer locally in Canada. Any suggetioins??