Beiträge von deco101

im back and still in the UK THeo must be mad eh ? but may be coming back to oz next year, Melbourne in fact...so ill need to get myself in another 840Ci

so a bit longer than a year....but life throws curveballs so one never knows whats going to happen :hmmmm:

mods

on the whole im of the 'keep it factory' view, however im getting more curious about the chipping of the engine - i have the m62 engine so need more investigation as per this thread.

I want to re cover my seats to dark brown leather and respary the car to black or gray (its barbados green at the moment).

my "keep it factory" view has come about as a rection to all the modded novas and boy racers in the uk - horrible little cars.....*shudder*

ok Im a self confessed BMW nerd...Ive had a 520i, 735 and a 325ci and now a 840ci.

I would like to build up a collection of unusual and rare bimmers, heres the hit list:

Z3M (The "Breadvan")
    Z8
    M535 (mid 80s hand built version)
    850CSI

Just intrested to see if anyone here collects various BMWs and what they have.

Elan

Hello,

I am after a facia for me speedometer in my 840ci. I bought a UK import (I live in Australia).

THe guy who imported the car changed the original speedo (UK Miles and Kilometers) to a kilometers only face to meet compliance.

However, he used a 3rd part speedo face which goes up in increments of 40ks rather than every 20ks on the Factory BMW speedo. In addition, the material is not great and the back lights shine through unevenly.

Anyone have a spare one for sale (Theo ?) or know the best place to quote for one. My local BMW dealer quoted........wait for it.......$750 !

Cheers
    Elan :)

Is it easy to Change the glass in the Drivers wing mirror (1998 840ci). I need to change the type of glass in my mirror to meet Australia regulations (Dont laugh).

I have the new spare part - is this easy to do ? Id rather not pay the garage - or for him to tell me its a "big job".

Any help appreciated..
    EB :)

with the rising cost of fuel at the moment im looking at alternatives:

- What are ppls views on the fule efficiency claims of 98 Octane Fuel such Shell Optimax etc are the claimed benefits real ? Espeacially in the light of it costing more than lower grades

- In AUstralia there is a product that regualtes fule supply to the engine (It was on a Monday night Current Affair program I think about a month ago) does anyone here use them or know the name >?

- Is a LPG conversion worth it - and what are the effects on the engines Performance etc ?

EB
    1998 840Ci

I bought the car off someone who imported it -

the bottomline is that in oz there is now way to get a cheap 840 - the cheapest is about 46 K for a 94/94 840 with about 80K on the clock.

I wanted a late M62 with low ks so I paid more

However the uk with high petrol and insurance costs you can get a mint 99' 840ci low miles for about 15 grand (about 38k auS dollars)

the second hand market in oz is strong because of the very strict import controls

Tip: dont bother trying to import 8's into Australia the regulations are madness ! Glass in the wing mirror / choild restraints blah blah...

anyhow....

can anyone tell me what are the two very low items are just behind the front bumper bar and if so can they be raised (1998 840 Ci). They scrape everywhere !

They are circular with electrical items going into them.

Cheers
    eb

Just acquired a 98 840 Ci

Can anyone recommend a Independent who really knows their 840s and is honest, reliable and good value for money in Sydney ?

I need a blue slip doing and some minor sealent issues.

Thanks
    Elan :D

Anyone de-badged their cars (taken the 840/850) off ? DOes it leave marks ?

EVery bimmer ive bought already was debadged - but the 840 Ive bought has the badge on and I want it taken off...

Elan :D

The UK market has fallen through ! 30 - 50 K miles on the clock post 97 models (840 4.4s) for 18 000 pounds !

No one wants them in the UK - high petrol / high insurance

Here in oz its slim pickings and relatively high prices

Anyone know what the US /Euron markets are like ?

deco

OK not a serious topic here but just intrested to hear opinions:

I prefer a debadged car: no model no., no V12 side badge nothing just the BMW Badge

I like to whisper quality rather than shout ;)

subtle is the way I prefer my alloys....wire spoke style or the above mentioned Hartge classics

the shiny ones dumb the car down IMHO

deco :P

Hi,

Im looking to buy a late model 840 96 and later. The total market here in Australia is a bout 10 cars for sale most being early 850s and mid 90s 840s.

The market in the UK (where i am from) is very good with alot of 96+ models for around 20000 pounds with low mileage.

Anyone have any experince in importing to Australia ? Would the import tax make it impossible - it looks like that I would have to wait years for a decent 840 come up for sale.

Indeed, I heard that post 96 840s were not sold in Australia by BMW.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers
    Deco :)