Beiträge von Peter West

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping to do a deal where they pay for the exhaust and rear bumper assembly, and I pay for the front. That would put the claim below 60% of the value.

Lets see how it goes.

Peter

Al, I wish I could, but my buget doesnt run to that kind of money. I'd hate to see an otherwise perfectly good 8 go to the great scrap-heap in the sky, but I have no choice, financially, than to go with the Insurers decision, which admittedly hasn't been finalised yet.

Peter

Driving to Luton Airport last Friday, at 1.30 am I hit a piece of lorry tyre. I was only doing 50 (honest, guv, I was on cruise control, doing 50...don't know why, we never do that do we? road works limit on M4).

I swerved and braked to avoid it (some b*****d coming the other way had full beam on so I only saw it from about 20 metres away).

In the dark I could hardly see any damage. When I got back and saw it in daylight it seemed like just the underneath of the front bumper assembly.

Anyway, long story short and all that. It's a write off. Total front bumper assembly, rear bumper assembly, complete exhaust (both cats, heat shields, silencers ...original beemer stainless exhaust...everything damaged.) Steering strut, shock absorber....the list goes on. Bottom line nearly 9K.

Just so you know why my pictures may change soon.

Pete

I"m up for it, depending on date and my schedule.
    Gloucestershire is good (a reasonable drive for most of us, but then we all love driving, don't me?)

Peter

2nd pair of eyes here in Cornwall with Steve. If it hits the roads here, we'll know about it. Good luck

Aint it good to know that the 8 brings out the kind of commeradery that used to be between all motorists in my parents youth? Have you ever passed anyone in an 8 who hasn't waved back or flashed their headlights? Long may it last between us if no-one else.

I've put your mobile number on my phone, If i see it I'll call you while I'm following it.

Reg number, or part of it to help identify would be useful

Peter

Is that a BMW dealer? If so, is that a nationwide deal, or just a local one?

Steveba, was the rear shock cover an expensive jo and difficult job? One of mine needs replacing.

Peter

I meant less, not more, but same thing.
    So, you were going less than the speed limit in heavy London traffic. Be careful not to do that too often, you could get banned.

I got stopped by Police last week on the A30 between Penzance and Hayle on an open road doing 60 (3 lanes, no central reservation) at 2 in the morning. I'd seen the copper prowling on the way down so I was taking no risks, I thought.

Doing 60 in a car like this he thought I was drunk and being careful. I had all my lights checked (MOT was only 3 weeks old at the time), tyres checked (all were about 2 weeks old), breathalyzed and had to take my license, insurance and MOT into the Copshop the next morning.

Bloody cheek.

Shiggsy said:Ok, been re-quoted. For the 3 points from the TS10 it was upped £50 and I also owned up to the Alpina alloys which upped it £140 to £647

Does that mean having bigger wheels (+£50) makes you more of a risk than jumping traffic lights (+£140)? Does anyone have any idea how insurance works? I recon they charged you the first 50 for phoning them up, and then penalised you for making 2 changes. That goes beyond the limit of what the telephonist can hold in her head, so she had to open the file. That would do it.

Driving 160 mph, using phone while driving, publishes picture on internet, 22 years old, £6K insurance premium.

Without sounding a bit old fashioned and puritanical, I wonder if anyone else can spot the not-so obvious connection between all these points?

Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes stopped the warning coming on. However, I ran the washer until it emptied to test the sensor. I now have the same problem, so perhaps it is the sensor.

Unfortunately, I now get a front fog-light warning after driving a minute or two, but there is nothing obvious wrong with the fog lights.

I need to get this investigated. In the meantime, if this combination means anything to anyone, I'd appreciate any suggestions

Peter

I recently had a warning to tell me the washer level was low. I filled up the main tank (the one in the boot inside the spare wheel), and checked the stronger mix washer in the engine comp. I switched on and a pump automatically filled the main tank in the engine comp. from the reservoir in the back.
    However, I can't get rid of the warning on the computer screen. Everytime I start up and every time I switch off it is there.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Peter

I went for the Premier because of the better colour range, then went the whole hog and had Alloy Supaslot kickplate and "8 Series" logo. £127 inc delivery.

Pete

I bought mine through Auto trader (.co.uk). As with any 2nd hand purchase there were a few small details to take care of. I looked daily for weeks, and for some reason, when this one first showed, I knew it was the one I had to have. I can't explain that feeling, it just clicked on as soon as I saw the photo and read the description.

I had to travel from Cornwall to Leeds to buy it. The drive back on the day i bought it was the most amazing experience. Beats buying locally.

I'd say, be prepared to travel to get the right car for you. Prices are good now that petrol prices are on the rise again, so take your time and make sure you are happy with what you buy. You'll probably only need to buy once (unless you desperately want the 6 litre Alpina).

Pete