Beiträge von Peter West

Clarkson trashed the new 6 on Top Gear in favour of the 911 turbo. The man is an idiot. Not that the 911 turbo is a bad car, but BMW has a quality that you love or hate, I guess, and Clarkson seems to hate them. I have a 525 and an 850 and love them both, both are better cars than any other I've owned.

Not being on the Cool Board is not an issue to me really. The e31 is and will remain a classic alongside the E type and others.

Pete

Is £650 for a CSi? Thats a good price. I went with QuickFit (Cornwall, parked off-road, age 47, 9 year no claims) and got £550 for an 850i, which was the best I could get. I suspect if the price quoted is with the factory fitted standard immobiliser, then the unmodified premium will stand.

Additionally, while I try to raise the money for the alloys (and other stuff) I needed 4 tyres for the standard 16 inch wheels. I went to Quickfit and got 4 for the price of 3, and an additional 10% off as I insure through them. Total bill including wheel alignment: £404. The 10% was worth nearly £45.

Continental are not the world's best tyres, I admit, but as a temporary solution I thought that was a good deal.

Peter

Hi Phil
    Thanks for the tip. It did come too late, but no matter. The set I washed, successfully I hasten to add, were supplied by BMW to the previous owner. Although the washing machine couldn't repair the wear and tear it did clean them well (at 40°). They are a good spare set.

I had new ones made anyway, grey mats, burgundy binding to near-enough match the paintwork, "8-series" logo and metal protection from wear at the heels. They look the dogs b's!

Peter

I'll take that last post back, my first try of Optimax was mixed with half a tank of normal unleaded. Now that I'm sticking with only optimax, there is definitely a difference. The engine is quieter, smoother, more responsive.
    I'm sticking with optimax.

Peter

Just joined, so a bit late. I'm with QuickFit. they insured (850i j reg) 47 years old, max no claims Living in Cornwall for £550. In addition I get 10% discount off anything I buy for the car at Quickfit while it's insured with them.

thanks for the tips on the mats. Mine are a bit grubby. I'll let the washing machine have first rights, then if that fails, onto the credit card.
    I likr the idea of designing my own, maybe matching the carpets and having the binding match the exterior.

I've only had this 850 for 2 weeks, so no servicing yet. I had the previous 525i serviced at a main dealer and a BMW specializing independent. There seem to be pros and cons either way:
    The BMW dealer was marginally cheaper, but that could vary either way. The independent had a lower hourly rate but took longer. The independent had to wait for spares to arrive from the main dealer who wold have taken them off the shelf. The main dealer was miles away, but the independent is just up the road, though the main dealer supplied a courtesy car.

Swings and roundabouts I'd say. My preference is to build up a good working relationship with someone I trust and stick with it.

Pete