Beiträge von M.Rad.

Try this:
    get a large bag of the "crystals"-type cat litter (preferably un-scented unless you just like the way it smells), put it in a cloth sack (ex- a small pillow case) and leave it on the dash.

The stuff is a moisture absorbing media, much like the desiccant used in electronics packaging, just larger crystals.

Regards,
    M.R.

Hey Jud! Thanks for the instructions. (You can see I'm still electronically challenged). I'll be browsing through them shortly. I should have known you wouldn't have let them slip.

Randy: You Da Man!:top: Them's exactly the ones I was looking for. (I can't figure out why I like that one so much...)
    The wife lost my previous wallpaper, and I was looking to replace them. I'll give you a shout in the next day or two.

Thanks again gentlemen!
    Regards,
    M.R.

Hi Y'all!:itsme:

I'm looking for a couple of pictures that used to be on the earlier incarnation of this site (ClubE31.com), but didn't seem to make it over to this one. Both of these were very striking photos that I would like to download.
    One of them is of a Calypso Red, front 3/4 view from the driver's side, against a "curtain" backdrop;
    the other is a black car, close up of the nose and hood from the passenger side, against a blacked-out backdrop.

I've spent the last hour going through the galleries, with no luck. :hmmmm: Please let me know if anyone has these photos, or knows where I can find them. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    M.R.

What news, old fellow? Have you had a chance to "fire that mother up"?(Quote from Charlie Daniels' Uneasy Rider, listen to it it's hillarious!).

I SO want you to succeed with this project! This is probably the best thing to happen to the E31/M70 in the last 17 years!!!

Regards,
    M.R.

No fun there, bud. I'm in the middle of just such an aventure, myself. Just got the word from the machinist today:valve -job, decking, guides, cleaning, ~$900.00. Parts $706.00 thus far. Me doing all disassembly, cleaning, assembly.

But, chin up! At least it will be good for another 100,00+miles.

Best of luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Regards,
    M.R.

The M60 V-8 is one of the sweetest sounding 8cylinders ever, and I've built everything from 383 SBC, to 429 BBF, and 351-Cs. My wife drives a '95 540 with the same motor, and I have run it without the mufflers (had to change out the center bearing). It's like NASCAR just came to town.

There's nothing like a high compression V-8, even my V-12
    with Magnaflows doesn't sound as bad-ass until higher revs. kick in.

Eventually when we get her a 740 and I get the 540 as a daily driver I paln to install Flowmasters....OH-YEAH!!!

Regards,
    M.Rad.

Any progress with the new setup?

I'm eager to see the results of the latest runs! Also, did you take any pictures of the support brackets for this instalation? Is it a custom casting integrating the engine mounts and blower support? I can't figure out what you have those things mounted to! This is definitely "badder" than twin turbos!

Regards,
    M.R.

If'n I wuz you...

I would first put a big ol' girlfriend- shaped dent in the hood, then take it to a reputable body shop..... :D

Just kidding!! You could probably repair it yourself. :P

Not left -handed threads

I have removed my seats, and the threads are standard not left-handed.
    Make sure you are using a quality drive ratchet and socket (the drive should not break unless using a cheater bar).
    How well your socket fits depends to a grat degree on the quality of the tool. There is a big difference!! The lesser quality sockets will not fit well, and may even damage the bolt head.
    Try some penetrating oil, but if that does not work, you may have to have them drilled out (PITA!). I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
    Best of luck.

Regards,
    M.R.

No gears

Are you saying that the rear wheels are locked, or just that you are not getting fwd/rev?
    If your rear wheels are locked, it could be a damaged parking pawl. This is a small hook shaped lever, usually located in the tailshaft, which engages a crenelated (think castle tower) wheel, thereby locking your wheels when in the "park" position.

Regards,
    M.R.

Special Tools

Karl_P, the only "special" tool needed is a 7mm allen wrench, or socket allen. I bought a 3/8drive socket allen, but there was so little clearance between the caliper and control arm that I had to grind off about 1/3. Also, make sure you put some sort of anti-squeal compound on it, or you'll be doing it again. Ask me how I know...

Regards,
    M.R.

Too Loud?

Hi-ya Shigsy;
    I'm surprised to hear that yours is too loud! Mine sound great when I first start the car and get that initial "vroom", and in a range between 1250 and 1750 rpm while moving. Above that, it's entirely un-noticable inside the car.
    When I had it dynoed, I stood right next to it, and I swear there was almost the same amount of noise coming from the engine bay as from the exhaust! BTW, I do plan to put in a cross-over pipe so that both pipes are connected, so I dont get that "ricer fart-can" effect.
    As for the tips, I got the Magnaflows with dual square tips, and am quite satisfied with the appearance.

Any other possible suggestions?

Thanks,
    M.R.

Hi everyone, long time no post! I've been on assignment for the last couple of months with VERY limited computer access. I've only been able to play around on a limited basis recently.
    Anyway, once I get back home, in about another 10days, I'm going to to treat myself by purchasing something for the 8-er. Trouble is, $300.00 don't go very far so I have to make the best possible use of what I have.
    That's why I need the advice of my fellow 8-o-philes. Here are my choices so far, please feel free to add anything you deem applicable. I have already chipped and dynoed it.

1) Remove center exhaust resonator, and run straight pipes to the Magnaflows in back. (I want it to be somewhat louder, and sound more like a V-12)

2) Rear wing spoiler. Nothing too extreme, just an accent to the rear section.

3) Install better speakers and small sub-woofer to go with the Alpine head unit, the better to "rock-aus".

Well, wadya think...?

Regards to all,
    M.R.

I agree with both the pro and con posts above...

Certainly, I count myself among the enthusiastic loyalists of this particular car.
    I also walk backwards, and plan my parking spaces, and walk to the garage in the middle of the night at times, just to "pinch" myself, and make sure it's all real.
    And as for this site, I am in awe of the form and substance it presents, as well as the vision it embodies.
    It is informative, artful, wide-ranging and That is why I started this thread.
    However, as a dedicated fan of both the car and the site, I felt it my duty to try and re-kindle the same enthusiasm I witnessed when I joined last July. I know I am neither the first to attempt to do so, nor the most eloquent, nor the most persuasive. Several of the veterans have attempted a variety of approaches in the past without much success. That is why I am trying to enlist the veterans, and as many of the newcomers as possible. I don't like giving up what I believe in without a fight, but I also know that numbers are persuasive.

Can someone help post a poll? Something alomng the lines of: "All in favor of Phillipe turning the site over to a pro to manage?"

And yes, I'll pay a little extra in addition to my "Gold" membership.

Regards, fellow keepers of the E31 flame,
    M.R.

Change-over

Hi Theo!
    great write-up! I have a cyclic vibration in my driveline as well, and I fear it's one of the components you mentioned. I have no doubt that I could perform the proceedure, but my question is this: is there any reason to have such a complex and apparently short-lived system in the first place? What I am getting at is, would it possibly be more cost effective to convert the whole shebang (thechnical term, that) to standard u-joint arrangement? U-joints are robust and have proven themselves nearly vibration free in many applications. Plus since the differential does not move, there would be little misalignment.
    I know this isn't how the teutonic "uber-engineers" designed it, but looking at some of the things they did on these cars, I think thery were smoking Rye!
    Thoughts?

Headrest

Hi Stevep840! Is the headrest too far away even after you rotate it forward? I only ask because I don't know if you are aware of that feature.

I'm glad to see the diehards pulling for this site! Although, I am a little dissapopinted over the number of people who have responded, vs. how many thread and topic views we have had. This was the second weekend of the two I proposed to guage interest, and turnout was low.

Maybe the sleepers will awaken and join us for a mass demonstration of support (for the site, if not the site owner) next weekend. Meanwhile, contact a couple of fellow 8-owners and twist some arms! I've got two potential victims in mind.

Hey! Point92mach, and 91green850! You guys out there? What say,give us a hand !

Regards to all,
    M.R.

Troubling indeed..

to be ignored when expressing concern, and offering to assist. I hadn't posted on this board for quite some time, but returned to "lurk" occasionally. It seemd that things may be on a slow course to recovery, so I thought perhaps this would be a good time for concerned members to lend some encouragement.
    Jud, if someone of your stature in the 8 community is unable to elicit a response, then I have little hope for the present effort. On the other hand, a solid show of encouragement en mas, might tip the balance. It's worth a shot, at least.

Regards,
    M.R.