Beiträge von M.Rad.

Well that's three already...

but given how slow this board has become, we may need to give it this weekend and next , just to get the word out. Should we try for a forum members meeting on the 3rd weekend of February? Perhaps even a "grand mele`" in the chat room.

Also, how about some ideas beforehand on topics of discussion, relating to overhauling this board. I have thought about this for some time and have a suggestion to submit, although I don't know how workable it may be.

It is this: since Phillipe does not have the time and resources to operate this board properly, and given that I believe the board worth saving due to it's unique content, should we perhaps suggest to Phillipe that a professional web-master be hired to run/maintain the site? With enough subscribers, I'm sure the costs to any individual would be minor. I am already a "Gold Member" (snicker, snicker), so an extra couple of bucks to bring the site back up to standards would be negligible.
    The exact legal instrument to accomplish this can be patterned after other, existing, sites, I'm sure.

I have never directly spoken to Phillipe, but have corresponded with him on a couple of occasions. he strikes me as a well meaning sort, and reasonable fellow. I'm sure he will read this or has already, and that we can expect his input shortly. If we can secure his agreement, and enought site members(at last count we had over 800, at least on the rolls), this site could become a gold-mine of technical material, historical archives, and the thriving community it once was.

Regards,
    M.R.

Mine's a "Garage Queen"

When Ipurchased mine, I intended it as a daily driver. Then I found this board (and other resources) and discovered how rare these cars realy are. Only about ~4800 imported to the U.S.! So now, she sleeps covered and padded in my garage, waiting for dry sunny weekends. She has about 117,000 mi., and I plan to bring her back up to near perfection during our time together.
    As for performance, I too, am still a little dissapointed, given my muscle-car roots, but I consider the car's "mission" now. And performance increases are available, you just have to spend "cubic cash". And how much room for complaint is there in a 155+mph car?

Besides, in the words of my father, upon seeing her, "This is a car you can show up ANYWHERE in, and draw respect!"

Regards,
    M.R.

Hello All!
    I suggested this at the bottom of my earlier post, but given the dearth of traffic here lately, thought this might be more effective.

I'm sure many of us regret the current state of this site, which I for one considerd the flagship of 8-series boards. As we all know, a board's life is it's contributing membership. I have followed the less -than successful past efforts of dedicated members to steer this board away from the edge, and noted the steady decline in participation, with sadness.

But, conditions change with the simple passage of time. Perhaps one more try is in order?
    In an effort to revive this site, with all it's beautiful imagery and rare and useful content, I suggest a scheduled "reunion" of interested board members on an agreed-upon date, preferably a weekend day. This will allow us to re-aquaint on this forum, and guage the existing interest, as well as bat some ideas about.

Regards to all,
    M.R/

This site still has potential...

but I think it will ultimately be up to the members to rescue it. I am very saddened by the way this site has deteriorated from what it was. This was the first site I joined after getting my 8, and it was beautifully conceived and designed. It is still the most attractive site out there, even though sometimes it's like walking through a ghost town.
    Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about web-design, hosting, or the other things needed to resurect this sit, else I would volounteer to assist, although this was attempted by other members in the past without much success.

Perhaps we could plan to re-group on a specific date, and re-establish old and neglected contacts. Give it one more shot, and all, eh?

Regards,
    M.R.

Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase a code reader to do my own diagnostics with. I have seen the Peak readers advertised. Are they any good? What's a good price for one?

Thanks,
    M.R.

out of ideas

Well, I've pretty much run out of ideas. I think it's a fuel pressure or mixture problem, not ignition related. That's about all I could come up with. Tomorrow it goes to an independent BMW place. I'll let you all know what happens. Wish me luck...

M.R.

Still runs terrible...

Hello again TerryY;

Yes, I have confirmed that the wires are in the correct order.
    I put in Bosch Platinum plugs, single side electrode. Removed old Bosch Platinum, dual side electrode.
    I Ohmed all the plug wires while replacing the plugs, and got readings of 5.6k-6.8k ohm.
    I have confirmed that there is spark for that cyl. bank. (removed boot from cyl., put spare plug in boot, grounded to engine= spark).
    Cylinder sensor on #6 wire is connected.

It looks to be the driver's side cyl bank (7-12)is not working.

Here's what I've tried so far:

With engine running, I disconnected the driver's side (cyl 1-6)MAF plug, and engine died. When I disconnected the passenger's side(cyl 7-12), nothing changed, it stil idled verry rough. I swapped the MAFs, but the result was the same.

I tried the DK synch. trick, but it didn't help. As a matter of fact, the exhaust got so hot, it was smoking, and started the grass next to my shop smoldering!

Both fuel pressure reg.s hold vacuum, but there is no difference in idle when I unplug them (if I leave the vac. line unplugged, rpms increase of course).
    Pulled 3 plugs (7,8,9), all looked like they were over-fueled.

I'm about out of ideas, and ready to collapse after working on this all weekend. So much for a simple tune-up.
    Any advice you can forward is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    M.R.

Figured out cap wiring

Apparently, since this ting runs like two seperate straight sixes, the caps are wired 1-5-3-6-2-4, except the driver's side is top-to-bottom, while the passenger side is reverse.
    Unfortunately, it still doesn't solve my problem: I disconnected the batteries to do some maint. (replaced plugs, oil, filters,fuel return hoses, compression test, leakdown), and now it runs terrible. At idle it shakes and stumbles. I tried the EML reset (5k for 10 sec., shut down, re-start) several times with no luck. It ran better before I did all this work!
    Any suggestions?

Dejectedly yours, :(
    M.R.

What is the wiring order on the distributor caps for the V12. I have the full firing order, but I need the placement of wires onto the caps.

Please reply asap since I'm working on it tonight.

Thanks in advance. MR

Does anyone know how far the M70 can be bored safely, and what the final displacement is at that point?
    Also, has anyone had theirs sleeved, and can the electrofusion coating be applied to an iron liner?

Thanks,
    M.R.

Thanks TerryY;

lots of good discussion on the Roadfly site.
    From what I gather, the concensus is:
    1-unless the engine is modiffied in displacement and/or flow do not install headers;
    2-Do not install x-pipe because if placed in the wrong position it is counterproductive;
    3-balance tube is ok if installed at the "hot spot", but only gives better sound;
    4-keep tube dia. reasonable (2.25") for good velocity.

Let me know if I missed something and also please let me know how the mufflers work out in regard to sound and/or performance.

Thanks,
    M.R.

Hello all;
    well, it's time to replace the exhaust system on the ol' girl. I'm thinking of installing a set of Bassani x-pipes with cats. These should give plenty of flow, since they are 2.5 in. dia.
    Here's where I need some help- I want to install a set of mufflers that sound a bit more agressive than stock. Ultimately, I would like to get that V-12 "howl" at 5,000+rpm, but avoid having an anoying "drone" at freeway speeds. Any recommendations?

T.I.A.

M.R.

Greetings everyone!

Just on the off-chance.... is there anyone in the states with a spare hood they would be willing to part with for a reasonable ammount? Any color, and even minor damage is ok. Also need hood latches. In fact anyone with spares of any kind is welcome to email me:
    rad_ms@yahoo.com.

T-I-A,
    M.Rad.

Greetings to everyone!

I am a proud new owner of a Calypso 91 850i ! I just brought her home to Texas last Sunday, after driving through the mountains from Salt Lake City, Utah, through Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.
    An experience of a lifetime!
    Of course, the real distance-driving didn't begin untill I reached Texas :wink:

I am very happy to have found this very sophisticated and helpful forum (especially after reading through some of the other ones.....).

While browsing through the site, I saw the "modiffications " section, which has a picture (top one) of an 850 with aerodynamic bodywork added. While I like the lines of our 850s as they came from the factory, I would like to add that particular spoiler. Does anyone have information regarding the supplier, and how to contact them?

I look forward to many enjoyable hours spent in the company of my new love (her name is Val, short for "The Valkyrie"- Teutonic, eh?), and corresponding with my fellow E31 fans.

Thanks-in-adv.

M.Rad.