Beiträge von stensen

I want to inspect the bolts on the oilpump on my M60 engine in my 840.
    There are written in swedish forums that the bolts can fall off because of vibration. Can anyone describe how to fix it step by step, or maybe suggest a link were i can se the operation with pictures. I dont trust the BMW dealers 100% here in Norway, so i would like to learn more about the repair before i leave my baby in the hands of strangers.

Sten Axelsen
    Norway

Re: BMW 8

Hi, I would find a car in Germany ! I went all the way from Norway to buy my 1993 840Ci. It has 103.000 km on the meeter. Had it for 1 1/2 year. There have been no problems with the car. I will recomend you to find a car with only 90.000 - 100.000 km, then you probbalbly can drive 40.000 km and only use money on change fluids and brakepads. ( on a 840 )
    Search the internet on : http://www.mobile.de or http://www.autoscout24.de
    Be shure to put in the extra money on a good car, it will save you a lot of money in the end.

Sten
    Norway

I have heard that the hole body of the 8-Series was dipped during
    production in a "bath" In Norway we call it "Katodisk bath". This was done
    to prevent the body against rust. Can anyone tell me more abbout this
    process ? Is this the reason why the 8-series very seldom are rusty?

Sten

Re: Where is everybody?

Sorry i'm not British
    i'm located in Oslo Norway. Here the 8-series are rare. On the road i
    have only seen one 850 csi (green) two 850 i (dark red). Right know there are seven 850 i , 1990-1991 models for sale.(£ 24.000 to 30.000). Even in this Vikingland the roumers abbout early 850's could be economic suicide is known. I have never seen an 840 on the road yet. And since Mars 2004 when i wanted to buy a car, there have been no 840's for sale here.
    I had to go to Stuttgart in Germany to buy one. In pure taxes it will cost aprox £ 15.000 to import the car. The tax i based on size on engine, weight and year." If "and 8-Series had been a "2005" model the tax would be £ 54.000. . Luckily the tax reduces 15% each year the older the car is. Thats why i choosed a 1993 840 with low kilometer. How is the tax to Uk and Usa ? I think its fun to figure out how many cars who are just like mine. Here is my calulation: There are 800 Bmw 840 produced in 1993 (LHD and automatic trans), I estimate 100 in sterling silber. And 50% with gray leather. That meens maybe only 50 cars just like mine. The odds to met another 8-Series one the road like mine is 0,16 %. Not strange that people come over to me for a chat almost every time i take her for a ride. Right know i feel sorry for her standing in -3 degrees in the garage waiting for the spring. Once a week i just have to visit her to do some cleaning even though there are no spots not shining.
    Of course i would like to have a 1996 850csi but the insurance company told me that it will cost me £ 2300 every month with
    full insurance policy. For my 840 i pay only £ 550 each month. The difference make no sense !

Sten Axelsen
    sten-axe@frisurf.no

Can engine and transmission from a Bmw 540 be used in and Bmw 840 ?
    Just wondering because a crashed Bmw 540 can be bought for almost
    nothing in Germany.
    Is there any other expensive parts that can be used from the 540.

As some of you might know, i dont use my car from nov-feb, and i'd like
    to have some tips about storing the car.

In my manual it says that you shouldn't idle the engine til it become warm.
    is this right?

Should i lift the car from the ground ?
    How often charge the batteries?
    Can i charge them in the motorrom, (the +pole and ground )or do i have to charge them in the trunk?
    How often should i start the car, and how long let it idling?
    How long period could be maximum not to use the car?

fu... the winter !!!
    Norwegian snowman

You ar lucky living in the States. In Norway I have only seen one 840 for sale in 2 years, Importing a car costs 22000 $ in tax , so gettting my car from Stuttgart in Germany and registrate it in Norway costed me total 50.000 $
    Anyhow a new 840 in Norway costed in 1993 190.000 $, thats why i put a lot of TLC in my car.

Just back from my garage checking the humidity in the air.
    I have to despensers making the air dryer i the garage. In Norway its cold now, the roads are wet, covered with salt an sand many places. For the last year i have only been driving on dry roads, and i never leave the car wet in the garage. I.m using tectyl, and crc in every part of the car were rust may ocure. Am i crazy, or are anybody else use the 8 like me (to times a week in good weather). I hope my car will last for twenty more years, and like Steve maybe buy one more crashed 840 just for having spareparts in the future.

All 840 owners

On my next service in May (i dont drive in jan-mars, bad road conditions in Norway) i will check the bolts for the oilpump.
    When i read abbout failures on 8-series i agree with you that they occure
    at 140000-160000 km. I got my 840 from Stuttgart , and it had only 85.000 km on the meter when i saw it at mobile.de on the internet. I had the the car since September 2004, and i have only bought one bulb for the back light. I must have been lucky with this car compared with early 90-91 850`s wich seems to cost a lot to keep in shape. If i would chose a new car, i would go for a 1998 840ci sport, but the import tax for a 1998 mod to Norway would be almost £ 20.000. The import tax reduces 15% for each year the older the car is, thats why i choosed a 1993 mod with low kilometer. I hope to have this car for another 15 years, had my former car mercedes 350 slc for 17 years. But with the bmw people com over to me for a chat every time i'm out with the car. never miss my slc.

Hello out there
    I'm located in Norway, there are few 840 Owners, and few people to ask regarding theese cars.
    My 1993 840 has passed 103.000 km, everthing is 100 % orginal, and there have been no problems with the car, exept for the cromehandle to raise the drivers seat.
    Of course this will not last for ever, and i would like to ask so many owners as possible to reply, and tell me abbout any serious repairs.
    How old is your car ? How many km had the car passed when a major repair had to be done ? What was the costs ? and etc. If I can collect data in this forum, then its possible for me to get more ideas what to expect in the future, and also knowledge that i can tell other people in Norway. A new 840 costed in 1993 £ 114000 in Norway, and the interest for theese cars is finaly start to rase.

Sorry for my english !

Re: 840 ALERT

Today i was reading in a swedish forum regarding loose bolts for the oil pump. A lot of v8 owners reported that when they inspected the oil pump they find bolts in the oilpan. At least 30 persons reported the problem.
    Most of the v8 owners had Bmw 540 and 740. But it should be the same problem on 840. I contacted the biggest Bmw dealer in Norway, they had never heard about the problem. This problem will happens normaly when the car has passed 150.000 km. A lot of 840 owners has not reach that km yet. Thats maybe the reason why the alert has not be done before.
    Anyhow this is a very serious problem and many swedish owners ment that BMW shoul take back all cars with the m60 engine and do the repair (modify bolts) free of charge! What do you people out there think about that ?

Re: 840 ALERT

Thanks for your information, I think its very important to tip other owners about this problem. I also read about it in a swedish magazine. If the bolts are start to loose, the oil lamp could flash, or turn off slowly.
    Is it any easy repair ? (how many hours of work) I cant do this myself, i have to go to the Bmw in Oslo. When you do this modification will the problem be solved for the engine's lifetime?

Sten Axelsen
    sten-axe@frisurf.no

I have newer heard about rust on 8-series.
    But in Norway they use salt on the roads in the winters.
    This is not good for my car.
    Does anybody use tectyl or other products to protect the car ?
    Have anybody heard about rust problems on 8-series?
    Is there any place on the car that rust can be a problem ?