Beiträge von Richard.H

Zitat von SmileitsMe;113875

there is a grill missing in the front.. or?

Yep eagle eye...I just replaced all the front grills, badge and FTP's sprayed the nose and its looking brand new

Zitat von sandwich;113812

On bricks?

Nar mate it was after i had dropped off a rented car at:
    Enterprise Rent-A-Car
    EASTLANDS COURT, WADE ROAD
    BASINGSTOKE RG24 8FA
    The car had the window open, bloke in a white Tee shirt cruising along, I was in my brothers big 4x4 and waved to the guy who gave me the thumbs up.
    The car looked a bit 'tatty'...

Hi all. For the past few months, on start up from cold and off, there would be a whining sound coming from behind the dash /power steering area. I checked the power steering fluid level and it seemed fine.

Then the other day suddenly the brake pedal did not respond to quick movements. This lead to a heart stopping moment as I tried and brake hard/emergency stop, and the pedal was hard and unresponsive. After a split second the pedal suddenly came on. Hard.

My garage said to replace the brake bomb and so I did and that whining sound with a hint of grinding sound coming from beind the power steering dash area has GONE !

My garage also said that since all E31s are fitted with hydraulic servos which require high pressure CHF to operate and brake safely that this pressure is produced by an engine attached hydraulic pump and that was what was causing the noise, since the pump was not fully charging the system.

Anyway the brakes are now good and the NOISE gone.

Thanks for all your suggestions !

For what it's worth the noise only starts when car is in gear and being driven for one minute ie. if you start the ignition and let the car idle in N or D the noise doesn't appear ....only when in motion but immediately the ignition is turned off it makes the noise again both times for about 5 seconds

Hi Revtor,
    Thanks again I appreciate your remarks, Im just thinking aloud....I pulled several fuses in the rear fuse box but unfortnately I cant find F40 in the rear fuse box if anyone has a diagram that would be great.

Zitat von revtor;112922

Richard.H: Don't take this the wrong way, but can you please be more clear in what you tried and what the result was. In this thread we've proposed several items to check/test, but you never answer clearly whether you actually tried these. We literally have to pry it out of you...

In my previous message I provided a simple test to rule out the steering column adjustment by pulling its fuse. Now you write you think the noise is coming from the steering column adjustment, but did you confirm that with pulling the fuse? You don't tell us! If you did not remove the fuse, you cannot be certain about your observation.

It's very simple: If the noise is gone after pulling fuse F40, it is the steering column adjustment. If the noise persists with the fuse removed, it is NOT the steering column adjustment.

Interesting observation:
    The noise only occurs when the steering wheel is engaged.
    Start car leave in 'D' -- no 'motor noise fron the dash for up to 5-10 m inutes.
    ONLY when I start to use the steering wheel and pull away after 1 minute will the 'motor' noise occur.
    Likewise immediately and silmutaneously when the ignition is turned off and the steering wheel returns to UP mode the 'motor' noise happens.
    Im almost 100% sure this noise is related to the telescopic steering wheel motor...

Revtor...thats what Im saying buddy - its NOT the wiper in any way.
    It seems most likey to be related to the Steering Column Adjustment Motor as its a grinding/straining noise just after ( one minute) the steering column adjusts and silmutaneously when ign is turned off/on when adjusting to memory reset.

Tried this ...noise persists, not related to Motor #10 sits underneath the driver´s side wiper axle and is used to increase blade pressure to the windscreen the faster you go. Methinks that this motor does make a "calibration run" of sorts after starting the engine and will return to a base setting when turning off the engine

Hi M8,
    Thanks for coming over to help me today it was GREAT to meet you at last.
    We have now eliminated the E box fan as a culprit.
    'affa' seems to think it is the windscreen sensor motor.
    Will run some more tests.
    Thanks again everyone.

Now my windscreen wash tank has sprung a leak and isnt pushing water to the front.

Thanks again affa.
    See you soon for lunch on me :)

What a great community this is !!

Richard

Zitat von affa;111751

each of the DME modules are held by the 2 black spring clips. a small, long-ish shaft flat blade screwdriver will do the trick.

the EML is bolted in. simple.

I know you probably cant wait that long but i'm returning to HK in june 18 and would gladly help you out.