Beiträge von Superstarr840

I did have it out earlier this year and every thing was OK for a couple of months but I've had the lights come back on. I then removed it again and have done the resistance test, followed by the checking it against the near side and it is most defiantly US ( I now like to call it TRUMPED ). I have now dissembled it with a hacksaw and screwdriver and can see that the internal connections way way inside are completely corroded and TRUMPED. I do have a habit of taking thing apart hoping to fix myself but these things are non repairable in my opinion and many others obviously. My question really is can a cheaper one from another series fit and work?

Thanks Timm, I did ask if discount could be applied and got 5%. Won't pay for the petrol to pick it up. I also looked into the possibility of say an E36 one fitting but I can't find any info, which make me think they are probably bespoke.

Hi all, I have recently been getting the twin yellow lights of the ABS and ASC illuminating my dash. Having had the diagnostics checked, i was told I needed the O/S rear wheel sensor. A quick call to BMW and the guys at work had to pick me up off the floor £197 and lots of little penny's. I was then informed ' You can't get them anywhere else ' therefore leading me to think there could be a monopoly here. Apart from buying second hand can they be bought for less and if so where? The BMW part number is 34521181914 O/S rear.

Here we go, light rust or so i thought

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32444/
    Not so slight after an Investigation

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32445/
    Rust cut out and replaced with new steel with rust prevention wax added

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32446/
    Car is flatted and other small areas of rust neutralized

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32448/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32447/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32449/
    New paint added to the bumpers etc

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32450/
    Whole car resprayed and in the process of being flatted and cut back before polishing

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32451/
    Near finished results

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32452/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32453/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/32454/

unfortunatly these pictures don't show the shine to the best as the light & weather were poor also these pictures are all from a mobile phone so may not be the best quality. I have taken pictures with my camera but after many hours, this forum, my computer and the camera will not talk to each other. :banghead: . If you would like to see these pictures or would like more info on the work carried out please private message me then I can email to you directly. Cheer's all.

Well the cars back. Tomorrow I'll do my best to upload the pictures but first I'll elaborate on the respray story. During the last MOT I noticed rust under the rear jacking covers so asked my guy to lift it on the rear axle subframe. This made me investigate the issues I had. I had already bought a new front upper bumper and a good replacement boot lid as the original had a little rust coming back after a previous repair so thought I'll get all the little bits done at the same time. I knew of a sprayer ( Steve Savva one of the 2 Rally for Hero's 8 series owners ) and gave him a call. Having taken on the job he discovered that the area I had seen was actually the best bit and either side of the jack point on the sill both N/S and O/S had rotted out. More money needed as expected. Needless to say once all had been repaired, replaced and resprayed I could see the original painting would never match up with the new. Therefore bonnet, roof and doors were flatted and sprayed. In all 10 weeks of work on and off as other work went through the workshop. Steve did keep updating me with pictures each week and the car does look fantastic. Steve does take time to do the work properly and the finished results are more important to him than the money in my opinion. All the electrics are working fine even though both doors had to come off plus the boot as mentioned above and apart from the having to buy new in bonnet grills due to them breaking he re-used all the original clips etc. Other quotes for a full respray were £5000 plus problems, I paid less, say no more as every job is different. So tomorrow expect pictures of the finished results, but if anyone would like to see the work as it went on please private message me. Cheer's Phil.

Hi all. There's been a slight delay in getting the car back due to needing a new sunroof seal but all should be completed by the weekend and pictures can then be posted. Bear with.

Hi Nick, Have you started your re-spray yet as my 8 has been in Milton Keynes ( Old Wolverton to be exact ) with an 8 owner who runs a small but very capable bodyshop with low overheads and fantastic finishes. I get it back Saturday but have pictures emailed to me most weeks showing the progess. If you would like some examples just message me and I can email them on. Price is good and his knowledge of the 8 series bodywork is proven as he's completely rebuilt 2 around 5 years ago and is re-spraying 3 including mine at the moment.
    Cheers Phil.

Hi Paul. I have a 1994 Hellrot 840ci auto, locked away for the winter but often at the BMW car club events throughout the spring and summer. Duxford on the 3rd of May should bring between 10 and 15, 8 series together along with upto 300 other BMW models + of course all the planes to view. I'm in Buckinghamshire probably 2 hours away but quite a nice drive for me. Next time i'm in the area I'll give you a shout. If you do look into the BMW car club forum there is a dedicated 8 series section with a few events through the year. Good luck with the 8. Regards Phil.

Hi all, I have a question for you ! Has anyone ever fitted 9 1/2 j wheels to the front of there 8 with success. My 8 has bump steer plates and chamber plates so the top of the 8 1/2 j sits inside the arch by about 25mm minimum. The clearance between tyre and arch in the vertical is around 35mm and I'm running Bilstein and Eibacks on all corners . It's certainly inboard more than standard which made me think would 9 1/2 j fit?

If all seem good then just keep checking from time to time. If you start changing things because your under the car it will start to get very expensive. My 840 is off to Phoenix Motorsport in April as I don't have the time or space to do the job myself. There isn't anything wrong at the moment, but I have the funds to replace all the component's. I first bought an old rear axle £125. I sent the upper wishbones to Wokke for refurb. ( around £300 ) Then on to Gerry at Phoenix for trailing arm exchange + a couple of extras £500. All the eccentric bolts from Wokke £55. All other nuts, bolts and washer from BMW about £56. 4 off detail "2" £80. 2 off detail "23" £105. both from BMW. Lemforder do sell the bushes but they we're in short supply when I enquired. Two new number 7 bushes cheap at £10. We're over £1100 now and I have just paid £600 on top of that for Bilstein B12 kit. Then there's the fitting!! I think I started but couldn't stop. Still I think the suspension is original with only a few bushes being changed over the years ( according to the bills I have) so I think it is for me, a job that will not need doing again for another 20+ years judging but the mileage it covers now.

Thanks guys I think your right, I thought it would be 20mm on the front and 15mm on the back which is a bit extreme, I was just looking for something a little different. Sometimes you need others to keep you on the more sensible route.

Thanks Timm, I wanted to fill out the arches a little and though fitting washers would be a lot cheaper than replacing the wheels which I do like, but if it will affect the handling its a no no. Back to the drawing board I guess. Thanks again.

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me what wheel spacers will fit directly on to Throwing Star alloys. I'm getting a little confused in regard to the hubcentric diameters on offer. From Timm's threads i'm guessing I will need it to be 72.6mm but 74.1mm at hub keeps coming up. Please tell me I have got it right in thinking the hub on the 8 is 72.56mm and the alloy centre hole is 72.6mm ( a straight fit ). If this is the case would the spacer have in effect a counterbore 72.6 in diameter to suit the hub and a raised ring 72.56mm to suit the wheel. I think im going round and round like the wheels:stupido2:. There not cheap so I don't want to purchase the wrong one's, and on that note any recommendations on suppliers? Cheers.