Beiträge von Paul_M

Wow, either they have gone massively down in price (which is pretty unusual for BMW) or your dealer is very competitively priced! Not that I doubt you, I'm just surprised - I'm fully confident that my local dealer is nowhere near that price, your dealer is half the price of Euro Car Parts.

Still, my offer of £30 delivered for both sides is still almost half the price of your discounted dealership price, plus you don't have to travel to order/collect :)

I have a set of valve cover gaskets to fit the M60 and M62 V8 engines - all versions of the 840Ci. These are the gaskets that often leak oil, allowing the spark plug holes to fill with oil and ultimately resulting in misfiring.

They are brand new in the sealed packet, I bought them as preventative maintenance but sold the car before getting round to fitting them. They are genuine Febi Bilstein parts (basically BMW OEM) and have the part numbers

Cylinder 1-4 kit: Febi 12396 / BMW 11 12 9 069 871
    Cylinder 5-8 kit: Febi 12397 / BMW 11 12 9 069 872

These cost around £80 from BMW, and even Euro Car Parts charge around £65 for both gasket sets. I'm willing to accept £30 posted for them, no offers.

I can take photos if required, although there's not much exciting to see!

Thanks.

Hi guys

I have a type-404 ECU (as fitted to early 840, pre-EWSII) fitted with a Wokke performance chip. For anyone who doesn't know about the Wokke chip, have a search on this forum - they are renowned as a very worthwhile upgrade for the 840, improving performance and driveability without reducing fuel economy.

I bought the chip directly from Wokke, and as the 840 was my only car at the time, I didn't want to risk opening the ECU to fit it without having a spare, just in case something went wrong leaving me with no usable car. So I bought a spare ECU and fitted the chip to that, then swapped it over with my original ECU.

I've since returned the car to standard and subsequently sold it, so I'm selling the ECU with upgrade chip installed. This will make it very easy to upgrade to the Wokke chip, without having to open your ECU and separate the circuit boards. Your original ECU can also be easily swapped back in, should you wish to return the car to standard.

I'm looking for £200 for the upgraded ECU - this is far less than the combined cost of the replacement ECU and the Wokke chip.

Any questions let me know. I can send a photo of the ECU if desired, although it looks pretty much like any other from the outside!

Thanks.

I have a set of brand new BMW gaskets for the inlet manifold of a V8 engine (both M60 4.0 and M62 4.4 engines). I also have the "non-return valve" which is usually known as the crankcase breather valve. This part only fits the M60 4.0 engine as far as I know, although I'm happy to be corrected if someone knows better.

These parts are known to fail with age, resulting in minor air leaks that cause the idle quality to deteriorate, and eventually rough running. The non-return valve can fail suddenly, causing the engine to run very rough and stall easily (this happened to me with a previous E34 540i I owned).

I bought these parts intending to change them as preventative maintenance, but I never got round to it before selling the car. From memory I paid around £100 for all these parts, but they're no use to me now so I'm happy to take £50 for them. Very cheap insurance if you ask me :wink:. I'll consider splitting the gaskets and breather valve if someone wants one or the other.

See diagram here.

Part number 10: 11 61 1 433 328 (x4)

Part number 9: 11 61 1 729 728 (x1)

Part number 5: 11 61 1 729 729 (x1)

Part number 3: 11 61 7 501 562 (x1)

Try this place:

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

They are the only place I found that sells individual parts for the Brembo brakes fitted to the 840. One of my calipers developed a leak from inside one of the cylinders, probably due to corrosion of the piston damaging the seal when it was pushed back in. I bought replacement seals from the place above, stripped the caliper and cleaned out the bores. The key is getting it immaculately clean before re-assembly.

Once the caliper was back together with new seals, pistons and dust caps, it worked like new. I could push the pistons all the way back with just finger pressure, no tools required. Try that with just about any Brembo 4-pots and chances are at least one piston is at least party seized.

I have a spare set of brand new headlight adjuster screws, the ones that after 10-15 years become very brittle and break when you try to make any adjustments! I planned to rebuild my headlight buckets and use these when putting it back together, but didn't get round to it before selling the car.

The part number is 63 12 1 392 067, there are four of them, shown as item number 9 in the diagram here.

The set of these costs around £40 from my local BMW dealer. I'm willing to sell them for £25 delivered, and I'll also include a home-made tool for fitting them - it's a 3/8" drive socket that's had 3 slots cut into it to fit the plastic adjusters by my mechanic mate. The proper tool costs about £30 on its own - this one's not quite as neat looking but it does the job and it's free ;)

I have a set of brand new BMW gaskets for the inlet manifold of a V8 engine (both M60 4.0 and M62 4.4 engines). I also have the "non-return valve" which is usually known as the crankcase breather valve. This part only fits the M60 4.0 engine as far as I know, although I'm happy to be corrected if someone knows better.

These parts are known to fail with age, resulting in minor air leaks that cause the idle quality to deteriorate, and eventually rough running. The non-return valve can fail suddenly, causing the engine to run very rough and stall easily (this happened to me with a previous E34 540i I owned).

I bought these parts intending to change them as preventative maintenance, but I never got round to it before selling the car. From memory I paid around £100 for all these parts, but they're no use to me now so I'm happy to take £50 for them. Very cheap insurance if you ask me ;-). I'll consider splitting the gaskets and breather valve if someone wants one or the other.

See diagram here.

Part number 10: 11 61 1 433 328 (x4)

Part number 9: 11 61 1 729 728 (x1)

Part number 5: 11 61 1 729 729 (x1)

Part number 3: 11 61 7 501 562 (x1)

I still have this available. I've had a few enquiries from people who were interested but it turns out they have an incompatible version of the 840. This ECU will only work on earlier 4.0 models without EWS immobiliser built into the key. The sure fire way to tell is to look at the numbers printed on your ECU - if the big number ends in 404, this ECU is compatible. If it ends in 484, you have an EWS system and this isn't compatible.

I'm happy to field questions from anyone who is still unsure.

:eek::eek::eek:

That looks in better condition than 90% of the "immaculate" ones for sale! Saying that, he does have a point - a set of mint Style 5s with tyres are going on £1k, good sports interior must fetch a fair bit, electronics, engine parts, panels, etc...

It's a sad fact that the high cost of parts means that the market price for the more "mainstream" models (i.e. without additional rarity value) can be lower than the sum of the parts, even if there's nothing wrong with the car :dontknow:

Sorry for the delay in replying... I didn't get the email notifications I was expecting!

Thanks for the clarifications. I think there was some misunderstanding over the different types of ECU, and associated difficulty in replacing the chip in each type.

In my experience, splitting the top half of the board from the end where it plugs into the car is the most challenging. I guess it depends on the age of the ECU, how it's been stored etc, but I found the two parts to be very reluctant to separate. Hence the very slow and gentle manoeuvring to ensure no damage was caused in the process.

Either way - I'm selling the ECU and chip for far less than the cost of the two combined, so you're getting the installation for free ;)

Regarding the change after fitting, there seemed to be a slight difference in throttle response but not much (bear in mind the V8 has a cable throttle so not much to change here). Might even have been placebo! I've never found the throttle response to be an issue on the 840. The key difference with the Wokke chip is the way the engine pulls - it just feels stronger, especially at the top end. Makes the engine feel more eager and revvy, which really improves driving enjoyment. I've no idea what the actual performance difference is, as I never measured it (either acceleration or BHP).