Beiträge von Artoir

Can anyone shed any light on what this means? Various posts suggest it's either the Camshaft Position Sensor or the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Can clear it and it will take the car to be completely warmed up (20 miles into a journey) before reappearing.

The car is for sale so trying to sort it before any viewings.

Zitat von Noggie;119964

I had a look at the car yesterday and it looked terrible, you can see where they have used the machine, not sure what you call it in English, but in Norway we call it "tracks".
    Find it hard to believe that a polishing shop will actually deliver a product like that, I am an amateur, and I would be embarrassed to return a car like that.

I think sometimes those marks aren't always evident until a few days later unfortunately.

Zitat von Timm;119879

Toyo Proxes S1 were excellent - loved them - hated Toyo Proxes T1's!

Why so? I was just about to pull the trigger on two...

I'm having the same problems finding a tyre that size.

So far all I've found are FK-453's, Toyo Proxes T1 Sports and Hankook Ventus S1 Evo K107's. I've no experience of the latter, although the Falkens were super all around on my Impreza.

Zitat von arnie;119506

I doubt that EEPROMs would re-flash themselves, but with the age of the electronics, now, it is possible that certain capacitors have started to fail causing the fault to appear once the voltage is reset (flat battery). Very odd, nevertheless.

Very odd indeed, still haven't gotten to the bottom of it either sadly.

I've been chasing the same problem on my own car (mid '96 840CI) and the previous owner did so for a year as well.

Timm and others have been kindly persevering with me on the bimmerforums while narrowing down the possibilities. Another member had similar problems but did having wiring there, suggesting there was perhaps one fitted at some stage?

The fault on my own car appeared after the two batteries went flat, which is similar to what 740 and 540 owners in the States have experienced. It's almost as if the EGS units in the early UK M62 cars were reflashed to ignore this non existent solenoid, and they have reverted to a previous program after the batteries ran flat. At least this confirms that this is an issue not unique to my car (no lock and definitely no wiring for one).

Reading this part, "I then measured the resistance of a solenoid and found 22.5 Ohms. In an attempt to trick the ECU, the owner tried crossing the solenoid wire with this but to no avail." I presume this was prior to installing the cables to the solenoid plug? If so, to save fitting a part that was never there (and costs £60+), could the pins be bridged on the EGS itself or just wire a bulb in to draw some current?

Just came across this after joining. Just picked up my E31 at the weekend and very interesting to see your views.

I may not be the typical owner demographically speaking, but the talk of not really clicking with other BMWs certainly resonates. I've owned a number of E46's in the past and whilst they were "good" or "fine for what I needed", they definitely didn't have any magic about them.

Mine is a 1996 and it will be used daily for commuting and visiting client sites and I've honestly never sat in anything as well built. Passengers so far have been astounded when I inform them it's 18 years old, I can hardly believe it myself some times!