Beiträge von joecarolan

Hi I am based in South Africa and summer has arrived with a vengence Eleventh day of spring and temperatures of 39 degrees celcious allready. And yes you might know my air con has packed up.:aetsch:
    I have been told By an Air con Expert that I need to change my evaporator .
    He says after supposedly fixing a leak and regassing the system three weeks ago and adding a dye, that if the gas has now again leaked out and dye is seen inside of Air Con drain pipe then the evaporator is the problem. And it needs to be replaced.
    Can this be done without stripping the entire dash?
    I have seen a post saying that you can replace the evaporator via the passenger side footwell and glove compartment with minimum stripping.
    Can anyone point me at any members repair posts that cover this procedure.
    Also reading the main discussion postings; it would appear that the potential for losing gas as my car has done can be because of other leaks on the system and may not even be the evaporator.
    I am terrified that the Air con people here some of them (not exactly experts) are going to be able to srip and rebuild dash without messing up the car permanantly and any pictures guidence notes and things to look out for would help tremendously.

Fitted my kit last week not that difficult, however the only way you wll get the much longer hid globes into the low beam bulb socket is to cut a hole one and a half inch or +/_ 25mm hole in line with the globe socket though the side of plastic housing that contains the headlights . Then take of the rubber gromet and feed the assembly though the hole and offer the new globe into the low beam socket. After wiring up using the plug and play method reseal the hole you have cut though the housing with a plastic plate and superglue the patch plate to the side of the headlight housing. and remember to rewaterproof the headlight housing.

:) Arnie thanks for your imput on your experiences with an e38 brakes. They exactly mirror mine. It fact the first time I drove my 840CI I also thought I had brake failure. Bleeding the system and changing the brake bomb has not really improved the brakes responce. So your comments make me realise that it is pointless spending any more money looking for a cure to improve my e31 brakes pedal pressure and sensitivity and faults that possibly don't exist. I will look at upgrade options and search e31 for ideas and other members successfull solutions.

Hornets Nest

:lol: Seems like brakes are a bit of a sore point with a lot of you Guys
    Is It not possible that I have a fault with mine or can anybody else confirm they get excessive brake pedal travel before you get the brakes to respond, and even then you have to push fairly hard to stop the car. When I go out at night to a restaurant with my wife, she is not to keen to drive me home if iv'e had too many glasses of wine. She is a non partaker of the grape and we end up going in her BMW325 compact that is a real bone shaker and very difficult to get into when you have had a few toots.

:? thanks for your imput Terry
    I will try the test tomorrow I assume I must take the lid of the reservoir and get someone to watch the fluid level whilst I am pumping the brake pedal. ( I will get back to you with the results)
    Looking at your post again I assume you are referring to the brake pedal not moving down after twenty pushes and not the fluid in the reservoir

Thanks again

Joe carolan

Also I have seen a lot of comments about the brakes in the 8 series being rubbish (look at the post on my question) from bimmerman840CI However many years ago I had a 1999 850CI and the brakes seemed to be fine. The brakes in my 840ci just don’t seem to be right and the pedal pressure and travel is very different to the 1997 740 E32 that I have just sold. I don’t believe BMW would produce a car with the class of the 8 series and put rubbish brakes on them.

Hi Paul Silver Grey Interior

I here what youy are saying but every chance that I may have a container leaving Sheerness in the UK bound for Durban in South Africa in the next two weeks Can you indicate price and if the seat electrics are fine the drivers seat adjustment on my car is giving problems and the dealer here tells me the seat frame is a problem and the seat mechanisem has siezed and I need a new frame (meantime I think a cable is the problem) but very few competant dealers out here so replacement seats may be a good Idea
    Regards
    Joe Carolan

Just purchased 97 840ci auto brake pedal pressure seems to be quiet
    hard (ie) a lot of pressure requied to brake car allthough the car stops fine . I am comparing the pressure required to a 97 740i e38
    Can any owner provide imput as i dont want to replace parts unless nessasary. many years ago I owned a 89 850ci and a cannot remember the brake pedal pressure requied to be as firm as required on my 840