Beiträge von E31Gill

try some contact cleaner on the switch. Mine was sticky on the passenger side and kicked back into life

I think I would go for a polished finish to match the later OEM BMW ones - but yours one will be a hundred times stronger!

If you ever did do a production run of these, I would be very interested in a polished set

I can reflect on a lot of the stories here. Like many of you, I was seduced at the age of 15 when I first clapped eyes on the 'all new' 8 series. I had never really seen one in the flesh until I hit my 20's and thought to myself that one day I will treat myself. I recall being in an underground car park and hearing a roar resonating through the building, turning to see an 850 drive by. My family always steered me away from buying a car as impractical as this. One day, my father borrowed my very dull and boring E39 diesel and wrecked it in a crash. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt but the car was beyond economical repair.

I thought I would treat myself to that child hood dream and spent a good 6 months+ tracking a good V12 one down - boy a hard task! There were so many neglected and untastefully 'modified' that just would not pass my standard. My wife was convinced that I was making a huge mistake and that I should not buy a car so old. I tracked a good one down and bought it from a main dealer who had taken it in PX for a new 7 series. As soon as my wife saw it and drove it she retracted everything she said before.

The 8 is such a rare sight and attracts so much attention on the road. There are around 4 (inc 840's) in my area that I know of. It turns so many heads (even that of the younger generations) and sparks off so many conversations with friends and public alike. I cant think of a better and more exclusive GT for the money. I even see drivers of 'new' BMW's do a double take and some passers giving me the thumbs up. The ultimate ego booster is having notes occasionally left on the windscreen asking if I will sell.

For me it had to be the V12. I knew if I had settled for a V8 I would have always thought 'what if...' and 'if only....' so the mighty 12 it was. It really is a robust engine and performs well and is not too difficult to work on.

Ditto, I already went down that route. I got fed up of failing LEDs which caused individual LEDs to flicker. I went back to standard bulbs after just 2 months. I look forward to finding out how effective the ebay bulbs are

2) I saw this car in BMWcar magazine some years ago. Seb would be the obvious man best to confirm this as I am sure he will have access to their archives.

Zitat von schnitz850;52387

Right I sat down to dinner by myself lastnight in a nice Thai place on the end of Ken High Street and what should turn off the main strip but an 840 with Csi kit. I think it was green! Reg 'R••• LPH'.

Cheared me up as it was a siteing in London that made me fall in love with these cars....

To whomever it was....:winkwink:

The Blue Lagune by any chance? ;)

This is a really easy fix that takes a torx screwdriver and 5 minutes

(1) tilt the sunroof
    (2) reach up into the gap and feel for two metal prongs either side of the fabric cover - push both of these inward and slide the fabric cover back
    (3) you can now see the mechanism. Close the sunroof with the fabric cover still back where you left it in the previous step
    (4) there are 6 torx screws (3 on each side)holding the actual sunroof in place. Loosen the middle ones and the back ones.
    (5) realign and push the sunroof where you want to sit when closed.
    (6) tighten the torx screws and pull back the fabric cover it just clicks back into place- hopefully you didnt push it too far back in step 2 or else long nose pliers will be required to reach it.

I agree with a lot of the suggested improvements.

I would have especially like the 8 to have had:

(1) Proper radio remote key (not that useless IR thing) with remote boot release
    (2) through loading as suggested by 8tech
    (3) heated front windcreen + rear screen that doesnt fog and de-laminate
    (4) Steptronic on the V12 + diagonostics that dont go failsafe at the slightest flutter.
    (5) multifunction steering wheel
    (6) ibus type BMW factory satnav (...watch this space guys, just finalising my design... :D ...)
    (7) more rear leg room
    (8 ) better braking system and more bhp
    (9) bodycolour and better design of the outside door handles
    (10) improve the front end design of the bumper -more rounded (too many times mine has had the nose damaged by careless parkers)

oh, almost forgot - an OBC that doesnt suffer pixel failure