Beiträge von E31Gill

Re: Wrong wheels for my 850?

You are in the USA. These hubcentric rings can be ordered from tirerack.com

There are two types of wheel which get called throwing star. One desirable and the other undesirable. It all depends on which you are refering to.
    http://<br>http://www.kalach.easynet.be/</a><br>
    Style 9 shows the cast 16" wheel which came standard on many 840's. Commonly refered to as turbine. I think this is the wheel 8Tech is referring to as selling around the £100 mark without tyres.

Style 21 shows the 17" 3 piece forged wheel which is the type of alloy I believe you are asking about. These are typically staggered like the BBS ones shown in your link. A used set of these should cost around £400 without rubber.

better pictures and more explaination here:
    http://<br>http://bimmer.roadfly.com/e31/…001w05/12223.html</a><br>

The Lattice BBS style 5 alloys shown in the link you supplied as desirable too if in good condition. I have seen this type go on ebay for up to £500 in new condition.

I do around 30k a year. For a period, I used my M70 850Ci Auto daily for around 4 months which consisted of a commute between London and Southampton. On average, in London with lots of static traffic, I would get 12-16mpg. On the motorway, this increased to upto 25mpg. If anyone is getting over 30mpg well done!!! I have never achieved anywhere like this in over 2 years of 8er motoring regardless of how light footed I try to be.

With petrol prices the way they are, I couldnt justify spending over £700 a month on fuel alone, so I brought a nearly 3 year old Renault laguna 1.9Dci for 3 grand, which averages 42-44 mpg in town and upto 61mpg on the motorway. This is with the same type of driving style with actual calculations - not relying on the computer values.

I use GSF and eurocarparts quite regularly for several of our vehicles. They are good on the whole, however, If you are buying an oil filter for a M70 850, I recommend buying it from the main dealer as the one I was supplied by GSF didnt fit 100%.

Have to disagree here. On my 850, I have aftermarket 6500k HIDs which I managed to get from the group buy on this site a while back. I have to say the results are brilliant!
    I also have a 2004 X3 3.0i Sport which has factory fitted dynamic (turns corners with the steering wheel) 4300k HIDs and the light output from this is nowhere near as good as the ones on my 8.

The extinguisher is definately availble for the 8. Some previous owner of my car 'borrowed' and never returned it before I owned it. All the brackets are still in place in front of the drivers seat.

seat /mirror module is under the drivers seat. Its known to go haywire sometimes and reverse switch functions.

3 possibilities

(1) replace it
    (2) re-program (reflash)
    (3) a power reset has been sometimes known to cure it. Sometimes needs to be reset several times before it behaves normally.

I'm not sure about different year variations but having cleaned the ABS sensors on my M70 1994, the fault light cleared itself after pulling the battery terminals and leaving the key in position II for around half and hour.

Martincrouch, did you ever resolve this issue?

I had exactly the same fault which was caused by a bad ABS sensor which just needed a good cleanup. Glad I fixed it, because the handling it completely different if you are used to the car having it.

I fitted xenons on mine. The alignment and light focus is spot on. I went for the now controversial kit that was offered as a group buy on this site last year. The difference is unbelievable. Getting the bulbs in situ was difficult because the length is greater on the HIDs. After much consideration, I figured the only way to get these in without trimming the back of the lamp assembly was to remove the lens and guide it through.

I have no issues with beam pattern or focus, but then again, I never had these issues to start off with.

It didnt work for me. I tried it on mine, It seemed to be worse than before.

A colleague of mine has suggested that the contacts on the strip have corroded/oxidised and a wipe down may cure it. I'll let you know the results.