Beiträge von E31Gill

Zitat von POK

did you buy one? are you still looking?

Yes, I have been a proud owner for just over 8 weeks.
    As you know, I had a criteria to meet so with the help of Jud Spencer, I narrowed my search to just a 1994 850Ci.
    After seeing several pitiful examples, I sourced a unmolested, near mint 1994 850Ci finished in Metallic Orient Blue. Mine is car number 1008 out of 1046 RHD's built.
    Even more special to me is that mine in car number 2 of 12 850's finished in Orient blue and is the ONLY one with a black sports interior.....truely unique.

The car has CSi Throwing star alloy wheels,
    Baveria Professional 10 speaker set up with factory autochanger,
    3 Spoke sports airbag black leather steering wheel, not that horrid e32 type.
    Black Sports seats,
    Folding back seats,
    Ski hatch,
    AKH 4 wheel steering (a £4k option normally only found on CSi's),
    EDC Electronic dampers,
    Stainless Steel custom exhaust,
    Factory remote central locking.

I paid more than my original budget solely on the condition and options on the car.
    There are some nagative points. I have been over the car with a toothcomb (and I am VERY fussy) and found the following:-

1) Brakes are either on or off..... there's no middle ground. The Brake fluid needs replacing and the hoses will be replaced with steel braided ones to fix this.
    2) The radiator sprung a leak shortly after I bought it. I suspect sitting on the dealers lot for some time caused this. Well, I replaced the radiator and all the belts and the fan coupling whilst I was in there for £250.
    3) The sunroof had a minor leak. Closer examination revealed the back portion sitting a few millimeters lower than it should have been. A 15 minute readjustment and a torx screwdriver fixed this.
    4) A few dead pixels on the OBC. A repair or replacement is on the cards for the future.
    5) One of the throwing stars alloys has some blistering paint. I will respray this when the weather improves.
    6) The headlining near the front of the sunroof was peeling (caused by the leaking sunroof). A trip to B&Q and for £3.50 carpet spray adhesive fixed this.
    7) The R134a air con system doesnt work. I have pressure checked the system on the low port side of the AC valves and its completely empty. Looking through my service documents, I can see that the air-con was last serviced 3 years ago. I have a suspicion that the condensor is the cause of the gas loss. Examination of the condensor when the radiator was out, show that it looks rusty in a few spots. Any leads on a condensor supplier?
    8 ) The Dk throttle bodies will need an overhaul/clean soon. I have had the car start up on just one bank 2 times. A quick restart eradicates this. All indications have pointed to the throttle bodies being out of sync. Definately a must job for the near future.
    9) There is a small rust spot on the sunroof caused by its earlier leaking. I will need to get a new gasket and have the sliding roof repainted soon.
    10) Theres a small scuff on the nose caused by a minor bump at some point prior to my ownership, I'll have this painted the same time as the sunroof.
    11) The remote key batteries are weak.
    12) The front passenger seat switch does not appear to fully work. All adjustments work apart from the up/down on the front end. The back end up/down still operates correctly. Not sure where to start looking on this.

My list may seem long, but all these points are relatively minor in comparison to every other 850 I saw for sale plus I am a very fussy person. To me, 'good condition' must mean flawless. All the points are easily repairable. The car in every other way is MINT.

I got an original sunblind for just over £50 from FabDirect Bmw breakers complete with the switch and the shelf. The loom was an extra £25 from BMW. It was a straightforward fitting (almost plug and play) and it works flawlessly.

During my very short ownership, I have had a complement nearly everytime it hit the roads and I've even had notes left on my windscreen from people wanting to buy it from me.

I've lusted after an 850 since I was at high school and here I am today a very proud owner.

Zitat von heinrichvonahd

Up date
    The man seeling the unit on ebay will repair old units from around 70 euros. He is busy at the moment repairing units, but he has asked me to contact him during feb to get the display fixed. If anyone else needs there unit fixed for any reason jsut let me know and i can pass his e-mail on to you
    Thanks to everyone who helped
    Heinrich

can you please forward me his details?
    E31Gill@gunnersbury.plus.com
    thanks

Hi everyone,

I am about to take the dive and buy my first E31.
    I have read the FAQ's and prepurchase lists and have decided that I am going to go for a V12.
    As far as I know, the 850 was offered in the UK up until 1994, after which the 850CSi was the only V12 available.

I have a few questions.

(1) I dont think my 6.5k MAX budget will allow me to buy a CSi so I've been looking at the 850i's and the 850Ci's. What are the differences between these models. I have tried to find out but cant find any info on the NET?

(2) I will need a folding rear seat. Was this an option, or is it standard after a certain production date? Retrofitable?

(3) A rear Sunblind is desirable. Which models feature this? Is it an easy Retrofit (not the crappy euro car parts jobbie - factory origional)? I have retrofit the factory one in my Mercedes S class, so I know whats involved.

(4) Opinions on the 6 speed -Vs- Auto. Hope the manual isnt a clutch heavy traffic hater. I live in London. Is the Auto Durable?, My E39 tranny died at 130k. Hoping that Earlier Bimmer Auto trannys are a bit more bullet proof.

(5) R134a Air Conditioning is a MUST!, What year did the E31 begin to feature this over R12?

(5) Anyone know of any nice tidy examples, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.
    I look forward to being a positive contributer like I have been in the Mercedes, Audi and E39 forums.