Beiträge von timothygurney

Needless to say, there is a big difference between between the 8 and the 911 from 89/90. These cars differ in many ways: driving sensations, concept and design.

It may seem odd that one could heistate between these two. I love both of them. I have my shortlist that is based on many things most of which are irrational (!!!). I would consider having these, they are milestones:

Lamborgini Muira, the true super no compromise beast
    SAAB 900 Turbo, a truely unique car and 1st commercial turbo
    Porsche 911 (964), the last true Porsche
    Ford Mustang Mk1, the american muscle-car style to the blue collar masses
    BMW 3.0 CSL (1972), a racing car in the banker's car disguise
    Lancia Stratos, wow! no comment
    Jaguar E type open seater 1961, just look at that!
    Ferari dino 246 GT, the 1st true mid-engined ferrari
    and the 8....Unique, advanced no compromise design ahead of its time

I cannot afford all and even some of these..had to make some choices...

Currently I have my faithfull SAAB 900 Turbo (my run around car) the BMW 840 and a motorcycle. Living in Paris I use my SAAB and motorbike most the time. The 8 is used for longer trips and pleasure (just went for the weekend to Amsterdam).

The premise for chosing the 8 over the 911 is use. I use the 8 for longer trips and in that department the confort comes into play for me (and my wife....) Do 500 miles in a 1980/90 Porsche 911 and you will appreciate how much has been done over the years to enhance the drivers safety and comfort. The 911 from late 80 early 90's will be prone to reliabilty issues they are a "more" classical car in many ways. The cost of repairs will be lower, the simple construction of the car and use of very little electronics helping this.

I doubt the 8 will ever have the 911 all time classic luster and if my usage did not include frequent long trips I would have gone for a 911.

I do not know about Porsche in your part of the world but here in Europe one has to be very carefull. Indeed, some buy several cars put all the good parts on the one they keep then sell the others. This does not happen on the 8 (yet...) but is the case with cars like Porsche where there are so many around. Having a rock solid history is paramount for this as you know.

Cheers
    Tim

Theo,

Good to use green fuel. Maybe you should check if that will suit the nikasil cylinder treatment that the b60 engine has. In the states the fuel they used made this treatmant wear and that led to having to change the engine block. Have no idea if you sugar fuel would have any effect but maybe worth checking.

Tim

Ooupps::::

Well you got the answer now I guess! Just those guys down under get a head start on us....

Do not use that in town!!!!!!!! Theo is correct it will scare you! Just fill the tank note the mileage and drive. Take a beer one night and make the calculation, the beer will ease the pain. If you look at the OBC in the trafic seeing those hybrid cars all around you!!!!!!

Cheers Theo...My Mother, Sister and Brother live in Australia.

Tim :lol::oops:8):D

Dear all,

Just done a round trip to Amsterdam from Paris so I can give some upto date figures.The car did 11.7 ltrs/100 km (measured by the pump readings not the OBC) driving at 160 to 180 km most the time, slowed down to 130 km/hr or 120 km/hr (speed limits in France, Belgium & Holland) for speed traps and resting areas where the police tend to "hide' with their laser guns...A bit of trafic in belgium and holland but nothing extraordinary. I used the ecomomic mode wne crusing but used the sport mode when reaccelerting after slowing down for speed traps. (love the noise when it gets near the red zone).

The distance is close to 1 000 km there and back and all was with 95 super unleaded.

This may help someone.

The car does 21ltrs/100 in and around Paris but this can vary depending on how long I stand still....I do use the sport gearbox setting in town, feel that the low revs with the economic mode drinks more, any views on that?

Tim

Looking for the the ideal solution I got an email from

Ian Smith
    Cheetah Advanced Technologies Ltd
    t: 0870 CHEETAH (0870 243 3824)
    e: is@speedcheetah.com
    w: http://www.speedcheetah.com

informing that:

Within the next two months we shall introduce the world's first fully comprehensive camera detection system which, for the first time, will integrate the three technologies of GPS, radar and laser protection and it will have full 'Stealth' control of radar and laser. There is a huge interest in this system in Continental Europe.

Seems like the way forward.

Tim

I will look at the snooper but can this be fitted with a discrete antenna? The inforad works great now just had a trip to amsterdam and back (paris).

Would like one that will detect the laser etc....does yours also detect the laser guns?

Could you describe how it works?

Tim

Steve,

I am taking a sabatical and currently I am not working, I know that sounds fun but I feel that being mid way (45yrs) I might as well take some time for me. This has led me to get the car I have always dreamt to have but never took (or had) the time to get it....I did not go for the 850csi but the 840 as it is more reasonable I guess....

If you want to contact use my email timothygurney@gmail.com

Cheers
    Tim