Beiträge von sandwich

Not that I have the slightest intention of taking my car to a BMW dealer but just wondered if anyone else, who might be a member of the BMW Car Club in the UK had experienced the 10% discount from a dealer?
    Also ...I notice BMW are keen to try and get cars over 4 year sold to stay within the network, and wondered what the best price for an Insp 2 service might be. I went in 6 months ago and was quoted £650.00. I mentioned it was an E31 8 series, and that threw them, to the extent that it took 10 minutes to reply! I cant believe ther ewould be many guys in the service dept who have actually been trained on the E31.

I had the local dealer in 99 fit some HARTGE 19" Clssic alloys on prev E31 but after a week they called me and asked me to sign a liability disclaimer.

Dream Rides

Hi

Its run by a group called Sporting Bears who have rasied so far over £500000 for needy kids. If you go to http://www.sportingbears.org.uk I think you can download a form or just get in touch with the nearest organiser. Its a great day. Large hall inside where we all hang about or leave phone number and have a look round the show and they call when someone wants a ride. No insurance issues as not for hire and reward as far as I know.
    Let me know if youre going
    Cheers

Steve

Spot on Zero. Never a car to be purchased for all the normal reasons but sometimes the heart rules th ehead and you become intoxicated. All sounds a bit fluffy but believe me, after having one in the 90's, selling it to buy an XJR, I just couldnt get it out of my head!

White in general

Thanks Terry. Not sure if the trend is the same in the USA but white has pretty well died a death over here. I saw an Audi A4 Convertible today in white and am convinced in the next couple of years it will make a come back! Had a car new in 1984 [Astra GTE Compact GM thingy...cant recall what you called it! ] and within a couple of weeks had painted the mirrors , wiper arms and front grille in white. Perhaps even Duran Duran are making a comeback also !

Price? Dont be silly!

You can have it for free! Sort of bloke I am

Is it to be shipped to the colonies? Perhaps we should wait until after the Ashes as I expect that'll be more old rusty bits coming our way!

Alloys

Great site...The price shown for the Original Alpinas was the list price at the BMW dealership as they now all sell Alpina 'add ons'. You might get some cash off though if you plead poverty and promise them you'll bring it in for a service! As if.....

re Bimmerman

Hi

Will try and take some this week. Will also try and work out how to make them a bit smaller than a billboard!
    I think that the Alpina 18 rims, the flat sided ones, are probably the best combination for looks and 'authenticity'. I did have the Hartge 19 classics on a previous car but they eventualy needed restoration, which wasnt easy with the polished rims. In fact i seem to recall I just had the whole wheel painted in the end as it wasnt worth going through the hell of trying to keep them polished, or put up with lacquer getting the spider effect after a bed winter!
    I did have torpelace one of the Alpinas though as one was flattenened slightly and purchased th enew wheel from a BMW dealer after hunting on Ebay for 6 months. Couldnt wait any longer...You get the impression everyone is staring at a wonky wheel!
    Good luck

I just wondered what it is that makes us all feel as though we're beating the system by owning these wonderful cars? I was driving through the local High St at the weekend and coming the other way was a 56 reg 6 series. I tried to like the design of the car but feel, even to this day, that it still doesnt do it for me! Even though there is a £60000 price differential why is it that no real progress has been made? Sure it may have ABC, EDC, THR, HUD, ETC ETC you get the drift but does that really make it any more satisfying to own? Couple that with £1000 per month depreciation , which I know our cars used to suffer, future production numbers, and above all the need that you have to step foot in a BMW dealer. It also looks as though the front end was added by a totally different design team.
    Each day when I look out of the window and see the car from above I still get goose pimples. Sad I know and this is my second after having a new one in 99 but that feeling never mellows.
    Oh well

Grinding and other noises....

Just in case anyone is having the same problems with regard to strange noises heres a list of items just replaced on mine...It has not only solved the problem but the car is much nicer to drive...no wallowing and much tighter around corners...

Replaced both worn front ant roll bar links
    Replaced split brake reaction arm bushes both sides
    Replaced O/S track rod end
    Replaced N/S outer track rod end ball joint
    Replaced damaged speed sensor plug on steering box
    Removed both rear trailing arms replaced both front mounting bushesand both rear hub carrier mounting bushes.Replaced both vertical wishbone bushes and reassembled trailing arms.

Charged fro 12 hours labour and also completed oil service. There was an airbag fault also.

As I said the car is now a totally different animal ro drive.

Cheers

Steve