Beiträge von TallTony

I think Blackpool must be a hot spot for 8ers, albeit one less these days. I know of at least 6 cars and their stables/homes just within a few miles of me. I see one perhaps every other day when I'm on the road delivering, and these are non-local ones.

There was at one point 4 cars on the Industrial Estate where my factory is. Familiarity breeds contempt !!

Gotta say though that the 'after eights' club is not all it's cracked up to be :hmmmm:

it is entirely possible that I have never heard this noise from the speakers (if it is that). I honestly have a problem with my ears in that I cannot hear certain High Pitched Frequencies, even having a set of prescribed digital hearing aids to attempt to correct this. I never use them cos it makes the world sound like living inside a metal tank !

The audible Freq Graph for my ears looks like Table Mountian in SA, when instead it should look more like Mt Everest ! Weirdly, I can hear more lower frequencies than the average person.

The diff noise is something I know about since it's pitch is audible to me, but I would never have noticed anything higher than that. Could well be some alterator interference as Arnie suggests.

I have to say I wasn't aware of any knocks from the front end. Perhaps with it being stood for so long, which up until 6 months ago was outside, some of the rubber bushes have degraded.

I replaced the Thrust Arms about two years ago (2000miles ago or so) so they should still be good ??

Rcrad, the other noise is 99.9% the diff as it happened from day 1 of it's install. Derek is swapping it out so I'm sure it will disappear with it....

hey Derek, that's a nice looking car you have there (but your drive needs weeding!)

I'd spent 4 hours waxing for that picture, and then at 7pm the heavens opened....

Glad you like the car, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in it.

About the strange noise you heard. It's the diff. Between 65mph and 70mph it 'sings' and is something another (ex) 8er experienced with the same diff installed (WayneBlackwell). It's a bit annoying, but since you're swapping out the diff the noise will vanish anyway. I rarely cruised at those speeds so it didn't bother me much, but since you're gonna do motorway miles regularly you'd be best swapping the diff out anyway for economy (an extra 4 or 5mpg). Don't sell it for peanuts. They are rare in that 3.91 ratio and I'm sure someone will pay you good dosh for it :)

I'll send you the stock diff etc on a pallet tomorrow as I was away in meetings all day at work today.

Best regards
    Tony

Cheers for all the kind words :drink1:

It's a strange feeling letting go, a bit like dumping a good looking girlfriend..... But the truth is since the 20th Anniversary meet last year, something I am proud to have been a bit part of, I'd only driven around 250miles in the car, and prior to that only 2000mils in previous 2 years.

My head hasn't been turned, and I don't have any plans to replace the car with anything else for now. It just seemed a bit daft to keep a car and not drive it. We used to go out at weekends as a family in it when we only had the one nipper, but since my second son came along in Jan 2008 it became impossible..... couldnt even fit a baby car seat behind me with the seats needing to ALL the way back as far as they go. Effectively a 3 seater with me in it !!

I will keep visiting here to keep upto date with everything, and if I can lend a hand from my experience of ownership then I'll post that too.

The e31 is still the best looking BMW ever made, and those who can keep hold of them are very lucky people.

I'm getting all sentimental here so I'll sign off ..... !!:vroam:

I sold my car on Saturday :shock:

For the last 5 and half years I've had a great experience, enjoying all the trappings of 8 series ownership, met some decent people and had a laugh along the way.

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the people here at 8er.org who have helped, guided, advised, poked fun at, applauded, derided, solved problems for me, and all the other great things that come with being a member of this site.

On the one hand it has saved me a fortune in $tealer Costs, but on the other hand cost me a fortune in upgrading to things I never knew I wanted :laugh:

Either way, my (old) car was transformed into something which I think was a bit special, and I wish the new keeper all the best with it into the future.

I'll always feel like an e31 owner, despite me not having one anymore, and maybe oneday I'll get another one, who knows. I'll certainly keep popping back here to see what is happening.

Thanks for everything guys,

Tony

Hey mate, cheers for that. Fortunately I'm not as daft as I look and figured out what needed to be done from memory and by just looking at the underside of the seat. Took 10mm off the plastic housing and reassembled and hey presto. Working again !

Maybe the tutorial got lost in the transfer of websites ?

How's things with you these days ?

Hi, I've got the front seat out to try and sort the twist in it when usingthe electric motors. I'vge searched and searched for the old tutorial I used when I did the driver seat a few years back but cannot find it.

Does anyone know where to look better than me and the search function. I'm looking for the guide on how to reattached the wormscrews to the motors, as my passenger seat will not go down all the way, and twists on the way up.

Hope someone can direct me
    Cheers
    Tony

looking good :top:

Burnout (in pretty much all it's versions, except 'Paradise') is my favourite style of race game. Mindless fun, no blinking and most definitely not a staid driving simulator.

Hope this title lives upto the trailer video ????

ha ha true. I never thought that deeply about it. I guess there are some other similarities to the e31 as well as the rear lights..... but where does one draw the line ? I don't believe the the designers sat down and actually aped the design of the 8. More likely the they just liked the end result of endless tweaking and tinkering with the CAD packages....

Intelligent design, or natural selection ??

Somewhere out there I'm sure there is another planet with bipedal self aware organisms, also with opposable thumbs....... perhaps also discussing whether the previous generation of space craft looked similar to the the current one ;)

:smokin:next on matey !

Zitat von Nifty50;77281

I still haven't worked out how to upload photos:oops: but I always felt the lines of the Peugot 406 Coupe had similarities. It had a good designer

I agree. The 406 Coupe was a nice design, but let down by an extremely poor choice of wheels and lack of attention to detail here and there. For me the biggest fault was the 'tucked in' nature of the wheels into the arches. This car is crying out for wheel spacers and 17 or 18 inch rims.

The 'lines' are indeed excellent and as you said, it had a good designer..... coming from Pinnifarina no less.

Shame the rest of the Peugot team let it down. But then only Citroen has ever pushed the boudaries properly in France......

edit ** shooting from the hip I have to say that I do not think the e92 looks anything like an e31 from any angle other than the side on line drawing perspective. On the road it does look nice, but the original e36 coupe is a better likeness to the e31, since it came from the same stable (so to speak).**

Hey Steve,

I also check in everyday or so, but as my car is holed up in the garage at present (with a recent house move and renovation ongoing - preventing me running it) I've not had any issues good or bad to report. Let face it, I didn't really contribute factually that much before, just learned a lot from others who have offered their help and advice periodically to me !

I would be a real shame if the site died, though it is far from doing that I think. It may be in part due to the formal nature of discussions these days predominating over general banter ? I certainly remember a lot more light hearted stuff flying around a couple of years ago.

No one can deny that 'how tos' etc are unbelieveably good, and fantastic resources to have stored in a site like this for posterity. I read every one just in case I get the same problem oneday !

Ahem, and yes, mine is up for sale at the moment..... (but pssst, no one is ever going to pay that much for it are they ??? ;) ) I never was that good at estimating the value of cars, something my wife is fortunately not aware of :laugh:

Ahh but Steve I havent got a supercharger bolted upto mine ! I personally like it, with the increased accelleration I get from it, but from reading around here over the years I appreciate that opinion is firmly split on the issue of gearing. Since it is an acquired taste, I figured I may get better results selling with standard gearing.

Anyway, I'm not due to sell immediately, and may well test the water with an advert for the complete package, basically as the car is now, and see what happens. I don't need to sell, but just have a niggling feeling at the back of my mind that I want a change..... and I can't have two cars ! :dontknow:

Long term I plan on selling my car. Not for a while, but eventually. I figured I'd have a better chance of selling it with a 'stock' diff so reverting to the orginal is one thing to tick off my list of things to do.

cheers
    Tony

I've currently got this diff on my car, and intend to swap it out in the near future. If anyone is interested in it before I list it on ebay, I'll give club members 1st refusal :)

As for fitting then best to check and double check you can bolt it onto your version of 8er. I know it fits and works perfectly on 1997 840ci M62 cars.... as that's what I have :)