Beiträge von TallTony

Zitat von NickF;76046

On the chipset front, I've seen claims that chips can improve MPG a bit, is that just wishful thinking?

probably is an elephant of truth in that, but.....

since you get extra performance you are most likely to use that advantage instead, even without thinking once you are used to it, and so fuel suffers further in real terms :laugh:

This happened when I had my van chipped. It shrunk the world a little though, if you get my meaning ;)

Hi Bonza, I also have had extensive ABS problems with mine, which seem (at least) to have been cured last year.

Mine problems also started with the ABS and ASC lights coming on intermittently, and also getting the 'ABS Return Pump' error code on diagnostics, triggering off a sequence of events and replacements that did in the end solve the issue. I'll list them below :

Cleaned all wheel sensors = same intermittent problem
    Sprayed copious amounts of wd40 on ABS pump and bashed it with hammer (in case it was stuck) = 2 months of lights off, then they returned to stay.
    Found ASC ECU plug and pins to be deeply corroded, probably from a can of fizzy drink being spilled in that area (passenger door sill). Replaced that with salvaged unit (£110) = no difference. Lights still on.
    Replaced ABS pump, which was found to be corroded inside with a heap of 'gunk' (technical term) with a tested and working second hand unit (£150) = no change
    Replaced Pink ABS Relays = no change
    Sent ASC ECU off for final throw of the dice testing to BBA Reman who can repair them, if you're lucky = they couldnt repair mine as it was duff... ie got ripped off on first replacement.
    Got lucky and found a second salvaged unit from FAB (£90 this time) = plugged it in and hey presto. Lights off...... at least they have been for 8 months now.

As with all my posts, I can only go off personal experience, but I hope that somewhere along the way you find the root cause of the problem. So many different faults can cause those lights to come on it is nigh on impossible to say "that's it" straight away without trial and error unfortunately.

Good luck

I know it's sounds complicated to get the console out, and if I was to write it down I also would have written a small article on it, but fortunately Reinhard and Revtor have done that already. But it is easy.

I have taken out and replaced the console (probably) about 30 times in the last few years whilst fitting the Touchscreen, and more recently fitting the new paddleshift wheel where I needed to tap into the steptronic wiring.

Just aproach it methodically like you always do and you'll see what I mean. I find that it is easier if you have the gear knob in the D position when you lift the console out (by pulling away and up from the bottom / ashtray end).

Good luck.

that Batmobile 8er was matt black IIRC, or was it just undercoat ?? :hmmmm: Either way it wasn't the best look in my opinion.

Cannot see how you could possibly wrap the Sport mirrors with CF effect wrap and make it look realistic due the 3D curves etc. If you wanted them badly then perhaps carbon e36 M3 ones could be adapted, but then we are getting into the carbon Handbrake territory area anyway which is not for me. I like the roof idea, and as it's essentially a 2D surface it works and could easily fool anyone who isn't 'in the know' regarding CF wrapping. :cool:

unbelieveably a quick google throws up all manner of items ! Here's me trying to be funny and all that...... :oops:

I know it's just for show, but it does look cool Steve. Could never understand why M3 owner raved about the weight saving and center of gravity lowering etc. Surely the same effect of the gravity thing could be achieved by placing 6Kg of sugar (the amount of weight that a £5K carbon roof saves I believe) under the front seats. Counter act his by always filling you fuel tank with 7litres of petrol less than you would (about 6Kg).

There you go. I should work for Mclaren :devilchilli:

you should get carbon mud flaps :cool:

I really like that roof and it suits the white colour too. Dont go getting carbon handbrake handles etc though, seen enough of those on the e39 and e46 mob at Gaydon :harhar:

Hi Phil, sorry but I can't help you there regarding plug colours as my arrangement didn't have a green plug. I had to make two plugs to fit my slip ring from USB Header connectors, which have the same pin arrangement.

In my case the ibus only routes into the carpc via a ressler interface, and the MF controls are powered seperately.

Have you made any progress (I realise this reply is late and of little use !)

Mine is tucked away in my garage for the forseeable, as moving house means I dont have time to enjoy it enough to keep it running - plus I need to channel funds away from the e31 'money pit' towards kitchens and bathrooms etc. It isn't broken, just needs a few bushes (I think).

Time and time again I have thought about selling it , but each time I simply cant find the reserve to part with it. It makes me laugh because it is just a hunk of metal plastic and rubber, but I feel now after 4 years that I have some sort of ridiculous responsiblity towards it ! I wouldn't mind, but I've got two real kids who are far more deserving.

Problem regarding it's value is that anything that even remotely interests me now is so much more expensive. I would only ever want a similar form of luxury and presence, and that these days seems to be only found in Astons and Porsches. Ferraris and Lambos etc are too flashy. No body snears at an Aston, and no one has ever bad mouthed my e31. I sometimes feel a bit embarassed talking for the millionth time in any given car park about how it is nearly 13 years old and worth peanuts, when these facts have clearly passed the onlooker by. They just see a thoroughly nice looking car.

So unless my numbers come up on the Lotto, I'm perfectly happy. Even if they did come up I'd keep it, just in one corner of my collection :)

this car is so far off the scale it ceases to be a source of amusement for me ! In the end I kinda started admiring the guys efforts and dedication to finishing what clearly must have taken so long and cost so much, even if the end result hurts my eyes somewhat.

Who on earth is gonna buy it other than a film company I dont know.

In the light of what is happening at Toyota, I'm sat here wondering when BMW are going to recall all remaining e31 for essential work to suspect parts and potential failures of the accellerator system ;)

And whilst they're at it they sort out the suspension, steering, AC system, all known electrical gremlins, seat wear and woolly brakes :banghead:

:top:

We get this polarisation everytime someone does a modification to the apparently hallowed 8er. It is just an old car guys ;)

Looking through this thread again there is developing theme of dont mod your car because God (BMW) presented you with a perfect design to begin with.....

It's pretty obvious which side of the fence I sit when it comes to changing things from stock. I'm perfectly happy to sit here and defend the extreme 3.91 diff I have fitted, on several grounds, especially as I still have the old one which could be refitted at any stage in the last 3 years, but hasnt been. There is a reason for this. I like it. It improved the car for me because it makes it behave in a way I like. I certainly do not 'pretend' that my car is better just because I have changed something. That is a bit of broadside that I cannot ignore or let go without comment. But I'll leave it there.

I have a lot of respect for those who fastidiously maintain their car in showroom condition. It takes a lot of effort to do so. I just cant live my life like that. Have you ever decorated your house ? Or bought a better telly even though the one you owned was cutting edge at the time of purchase ? I guess not. That's my real point here despite me rambling on somewhat again. It's not that I know better than BMW, it's just I know what I like and BMW didnt provide me with everything at point of sale (to the original owner :))

I'm of to do some work. Cheers :top:

Both myself and Wayne (Blackwell) have, and in Wayne's case had, the 3.91 diff. Neither of us thought that 1st was too short, even at the extreme end of the ratio change. Pottering around town in lightfooted D mode is not much different to before since the gears simply change with the revs applied. However IF you want you can make the car more twitchy (another scientific term), and more importantly from a standing start the car flies away from standstill as the power band is reached much more quickly and sustained for longer during hard acceleration.

Whilst there are theories to dismiss the modification, I am talking solely from personal experience (as I have it actually fitted). If my life changed to involve a lot of cross country travelling, at high cruising speeds, then I would be the first to change back, BUT since 90% of my driving is on twisties or around town then I am more than happy to keep my faster version of the car. Not sure that a small change in ratio would be noticeable or even desireable due to the costs involved doing it, but looking at this thread and all the other ones regarding ratio changing, there is plenty of info for you to decide which side of the fence you would prefer to sit on :cool:

Since I now use a paddle shifter in S mode, the ratio change is even better. The revs are higher, and the power is on tap more. Seriously, my car even with a standard engine is no slouch now, and only supercars have a chance of embarrasing me :oops:

Zitat von fuzzifikation;72317

You gain absolutely nothing with a different diff.

apart from about 1.5 secs 0 - 60 over stock. Ask me how I know :)

Like I said, I love and hate it for totally different reasons.

I also have a 3.91 M5 diff in mine. I have a love hate relationship with it, in that on anything other than a motorway I love it as the car is much more lively and accelerates faster due the revs being up all the time, but ..... on the motorway it revs too high once you go over 80mph or so. 4000rpm at 100mph, and 3000 at 72mph or so. Fuel economy goes out the window too.

Depends on how and where and how far you drive as to whether I'd recommend someone else doing it.