Beiträge von TallTony

Re: Footage of 8 series that was on sky

Zitat von karl_p

I have the mpeg off sky of the yellow 8 series that was on classic cars the other week.Only problem is i dont know how to upload it so you lot can view it.Any ideas anyone?

I would very much appreciate any footage of e31s. I have a few videos from the German guy who created e31.net with his red M (ahem) 8 Csi. These are ok, but pretty self indulgent. I also have a one of a Black 8 on a track day, but again, nothing to right home about. Furthermore, I've downloaded a few german 'Top Gear' style episodes, but as my German is limited to 'Sprechen sie Englisch?' I find them difficult to follow..... :D

You could always send the video direct to my email if you're on Broadband. Doesnt matter what format it is in cos I have access to all the convertors out there. Hope you can.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Jud,

no all I did was run the hose under the wheel arches to get rid of a bid of mud - damn farm traffic on 'my' roads !

The lights were off this morning, so can't call the sparkie today. I would never put any water near the engine bay anyway for fear of ruining it so no worries there.

cheers

Tony

hi again, I contacted Wolf in germany about his chips last week and he said he only does them for the 4.0L and 5.0L engines which leaves me out in the cold a little.

I have found a company in Nottingham UK that will fully reprogram my ECU but that requires me to travel, and pay 3x as much as Wolf's chips. Plus I can't do it myself naturally.

As far as I can tell (thru extensive surfing) there are no replacement chips for the M62 engine for sale, just reprogramming of the existing chip already present in my 4.4L block. However if anyone knows any different........ :D

I bet 8's are a rare sight in HK. I already seen a dozen or so in my area since I bought mine.... grrrr :D

Cheers

Tony

Jet washed my 8 on thursday last week. Since then the ASC and ABS lights come one from time to time, concurently, which I suspect is a bit of grime on one of the ABS sensors, which in turn throws the ASC light on (an turns the function permanently off too). I know this side effect would please some of you drivers, but the roads round here are permanently greasy, and believe it or not I do like the fact that the ASC keeps me from spinning 180 degrees if I hit the noisy pedal....... plus the lights annoy me on the dash :)

Maybe the seal on the sensor has gone too, but I'm loathe to call the sparkie again when Murphy's Law dicates that when he turns up the lights wont be on, which was the case the last time I drove it (about 2 hours ago!).

Does anyone have a diagram of where the sensors are located so that I can check them myself ? Please bear in mind I've only owned my 8 for 4 months and am not completely familiar with where everything is - just yet !

Your help would be appreciated.

cheers

Tony

hi there, was the chip for the 4.0L engine or the 1996 (onwards) 4.4L M62 engine ? If it was for the latter where did you get from ?

Just timed 0 - 100mph in 14 secs in mine (0 - 60 took a shade under 7 secs) :shock:

Cheers

Tony

Thanks to all who put their two penneth/cents in to my original question. I've enjoyed reading them all.

From the responses so far I conclude that the Must Have mods for my 8 are going to be :

1: Chip and Pin it. When I find a chip for the M62 engine - and I'll have a go at doing it myself.

2: Get a better Diff ratio. I like the sound of an extra 1st gear

3: 19" Wheels, most prob Rondell 58s

4: Lower the ride height, although that's going to have to wait until I get a shallower gradient ramp built at my house. Already spent a whole morning breaking up a kerb Slab so that I can (gently) roll my standard 8 into my own driveway nose first ! God, this car already has a long low nose.....

5: Super/turbo chargers are way out of my price league sadly. I have a wife and family to support too you know !!

6: However, I want a Moon Roof / Panoramic Glass roof. Found a thread on Roadfly that covered this, but so far I haven't actually seen any 8 with this fitted. I know it's a pipe dream, but I still want it...... :)

Cheers

Tony

Hi again, BMW may have spent millions designing the perfect car, however they also designed a car with plenty of compromises (not all bad either). It is possible to improve anything, car or otherwise. I respect those who wish to preserve a piece of BMW history, such as museums etc and collectors, but I run my 8 everyday and want the best everyday, and not a compromise.

I think the saying goes...... "less is more, but think how much more more could be...?" :D

Cheers Tony

I was spot on..... sadly ! The balance for the work done is £755.00

This is a lot of course, but less than it could have been at, what I believe you lot call, the 'stealers' !

Work done:

Remove and replace wiper mechanism with new, genuine, BMW parts.

Replace both batteries with new Varta ones.

Replace cracked passenger side SideLight Cluster - which alone cost me £125 for the part. (I know there is one on Bay at present, I'm hoping it goes past that price to make me feel better !)

Fix Cig Lighter

Fix bad connection on one taillight

Fix poor alignment on Pass side Pop up head light

and finally replace all bulbs up front with Xenons.

Pick the car up this afternoon.

Cheers

Tony

Thought something was amiss. The ebay chips, as per links given, are for Type M60 engine, and not the 4.4l M62 engine like the one in my car. I have emailed the seller to see if he does them for the M62 engine.

cheers

Tony

Zitat von schnitz850

Right then lets start with these...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Performance…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then you could go for a lower ride height at about £300.00 ish just for the springs...

Now this is interesting......

These Chips..... I've done some asking around on various tuning garage websites and the best price I can come up with is approx £400 fitted and tested on a rolling road. However their figures show less BHP and torque, and insist that you use high octane fuel (stella), completely the opposite of what this Ebay Chip claims. And at £125 Buy it Now I could fit that this weekend !

I'm pretty confident with electrics etc, though I'll be the first to admit that personally chipping a car/bmw is not something I've done before. With a steady hand and eye is really possible for me to swap the chips over without prior expertise ? (following the instructions Linked from the Advert)

May go for some wheels in future, but I do quite like the turbine alloys on mine for now

May get that £2 air freshner though.....

Cheers

Tony

In a couple of months I'll have around £1000 to spend on my 840 Ci (4.4)

I've scanned quite a few (but far from all) of the other posts looking for definitive suggestions, but so far not found exactly what I'm after. So.....

What do you think, in order of importance, are the Top 5 mods/upgrades that can be made to my 4.4 840ci Sport (1997).

It is standard spec at present and completly original, which great by the way, but I know there is room for improvement from what I read on t'internet.

I have no interest in adding bodykits or the like - the M Style Kit that the Sport model comes with is perfect for me, and I'm no ricer. However, I do like power and good handling, and that's really what I'm after improving.

Your answers would be greatly appreciated, with estimated costs, and your recomendations as to where to have the work carried out wouldn't go amiss either !

Cheers,

Tony

Hi, yes I am on the tall side. Probably one of, if not the, tallest 8 series owners in the world at 6' 8" (2.03m).

I get round it by having the seat back all the way to the rear seats and lowering the seat height fully, effectively making it a a 3 seater (!)........ but come on, was it ever really a 4 seater anyway...? Once thats done I actually find it comfy, a lot less cramped than other coupes I've driven. Recently did a 650 mile round trip in a day and didn't have any aches or pains afterwards, which surprised me too.

Regarding the labour price, I too am expecting around £300 on top of the parts bill. Just wanted to hear other owners estimates.

regards

Tony

Hello everyone/anyone,

A life long fan, and a recent purchaser of my childhood dream's car - a Black 840ci Sport Individual. Had to wait 8 years for the price to fall into my bracket, but I still think it was worth the wait - plus now at the ripe old age of 31 I can actually get insured on one.

Now the Honeymoon period is over I guess as I await the bill/check for the recent work carried out : New Wiper Mechanism, New Pass Side Side Light Cluster, and 2 new batteries.

Parts cost £450, and labour yet to be determined......

Still it should come back 100% (for now) and then I still have an 840 for under £11000.

Anyone care to guess what the final bill will be before I get it ? (I've also had all 8 bulbs up front replaced with Xenons, so that at least it will 'look' like some works been carried out ha ha )

regards

Tony