Beiträge von allenca

Sytner Coventry

Hi

I Know my reply might be late as i have not been on line for a while.
    I have been with sytner for 3 years now and spent a large sum of money keeping my 850 CSI on the road and had lots of problems with the service department as follows.
    1) Undertaking work with permission and trying to charge me for it.
    2) Damaging parts while removing and expecting me to pay.
    3) Delays in parts delivery loosing the car for more time that stated.
    4) Palming me of with minis for coutesy cars.
    5) Over zealous inspections, stating parts need replacement when they only recently replaced them.
    6)Overcharging
    But i can honestly say that even with all that the department i hated most and finished me with BMW, was their customer services, they could not give a flying F**k about your problems.
    I have now found a new guy in Rugby who is considerably cheaper than BMW and does a good job, and whats more is only a 2 minute walk from where i work.
    Allen

Hi
    I assume you have looked at the bulb retaining slots as i had the same problem with mine, i thought it was a broken wire but it turned out to be excessive play and poor fitting bulb,allowing the bulb to tilt in the casing and not making contact on one side, so using a screw driver i pulled out the slots to make it tighter around the bulb and the problem went away.
    Allen

Hi to everyone.

I just want to pick your brains a little.

Where is the best place to pick up a proper workshop manual for 850Csi ?

I would like to change my radio for one with Ipod and telephone muting connections built in, but my local halfords and Elliots have both told me there are no standard euro connectors for my car and that they may have to rewire speakers and possibly even change the amp and i would almost certainly loose the cd changer.
    I was just wondering how you guys have overcome the connection problems and what else should i look out for?

I am also considering purchasing diagnostic software and would like some advise on the best system and where to go.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Allen

Hi to all

I have a couple of small faults with my car and looking for some guidance.

1) I have a front wheel wobble through my steering wheel nearly every morning from cold and appears to be started whilst running over a bad section of road (same section) then gets progressivley worse until i back of the power and apply the brakes, then it is no more until the next day.
    I am having trouble trying to elliminate whether it is the brakes or the steering box generating the fault.

2) During motorway driving my temperature gauge drops to cold but as soon as i stop for a few minutes it goes back to Normal without any problems but then slowly lowers again over a longer period of time.
    The heat output from the heaters also lowers slightly but there does not seem to be any problems with car in this condition.
    Could it simply be the thermostat?

Thanks

Allen

Hi every one.

You have to excuse me but how will an oily plug have a different torque than a dry one, i thought that the torque would be the same but that the part to be tightened may not have achieved the correct angle, hence the term torque and angle when fastening with electronic nut runners?

Allen

Hi everyone.

I am after some guidance from the experts regarding my 850CSI.
    After a recent oil service at BMW(2weeks) i have noticed that my valves rattle for 1-2 seconds on start up from cold.
    I put this down to the cold weather as my car is not garaged, but it did it again this morning on a relatively mild day.
    I would like to think that BMW have put the wrong grade of oil or filter type in, but surely they would know better.
    It may be down to general wear and tear as it has covered 98,000 miles now, or it could be as serious as a worn oil pump or main bearings although the bearings are not rumbling.
    Could any one shed some light on the matter as i do not have the skills or equipment to diagnose the problem and will have to rely on BMW engineers.
    Thanks

Hi every one
    Just noticed my windows will not work by the door mounted P/Bs.
    Tried looking for a fuse under the bonnet, there does not seem to be one.
    Can any shed any light on what might be wrong

Thaks
    Allen

Hi to all
    I need to pick the brains of you experts out there.
    I recently experienced trouble with my clutch pedal sticking down about 2/3 of the way down and not returning without pulling it up with my foot.
    The Local BMW dealer quickly diagnosed i needed a new clutch.
    I let them get on with it and they replaced the pressure plate, clutch plate, thrust bearing and flywheel as it was scored.
    The fly wheel being the only part i paid for as the clutch parts were still under warranty.
    How ever the problem still remains, it is only once a week or so that it happens but can be distracting.
    There does not seem to be any pattern it can happen at any time cold or warm conditions.

-I can still change gears when this happens.
    -There are no vibrations or rumblings through the pedal.
    -The carpet does not foul or impede the pedal in any way.
    -No sign of leaking from any of the reservoirs.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Allen

Hi every one.
    The M8 wheels look good but do not like the black centre spokes.
    Has any one removed throwing stars and repainted all silver?
    If so have you any pictures, i ask this as i have my wheels off waiting to be refurbished and would consider loosing the throwing stars if it looked okay and there was no detrimental effect to braking.

Regards

Allenca

Tyre sizes

Terry Y
    Thanks for prompt reply.
    Can i pick your brains again?
    Is the front wheel size important other than it has to be within the 3% for the ASC to function correctly.
    I only ask this as the car is rear wheel driven and do they not govern the speedometer reading throght the diff and gear box ratios, or is the speed calculated via the rpm?
    just curious

Thanks again

Tyre Sizes

Aologies
    Furher to my request for advise i can give the tyre recomendation as proposed by the wheel calculator.
    Tyre combination #1
    285x35x18 = 2% difference from original wheel
    255x35x18 = 1.2%difference from original wheel
    How ever the difference between front and rear is 0.7%

Tyre combination #2
    285x35x18 = 2% difference from original wheel
    255x40x18 = 2.8%difference from original wheel
    How ever the difference between front and rear tyres is -3.2%

The reason i ask, is that the difference between front and rear on existing BMW wheels and tyres is 0.1%using calculator, and i cant help thinking that the ratio/difference from fron to rear is more important with ABS/ASC than than being 2 miles out on the Speedometer?

Correct me if i am wrong please.

Hi every one, especially those who supported me on my last request for advise.

Still having trouble selecting wheels for my 850 CSI only now because of technical issues.

Wheels selected are R&H AS Speiche, and they are 8.5Jx18 front and 9.5J x 18 rears.
    These were offered by the supplier as best fitting taking into account wheel offsets.

Now using the tyre calculator i am unable to get the % difference less than 2% for the rear and 2.78% for the front.

The recommended is +/- 2.5%

My question is as follows.

Is the difference of 0.78% between front and rear critical or should it be closer to ensure abs / asc sensors do not misread between front and rear?

Is 2% -2.78% acceptable as a difference from the original wheels and tyres on the 850CSI or should i aim for a tighter tolerance band?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all

Hi Every one

I am having trouble selecting a new set of alloys, as the sizes on a 850CSI seem to be restricting my choice of wheel.
    I have narrowed it down to the following four choices
    1) AEZ - Forge
    2) Daytona - Datz
    3) BMW replicaRB05
    4) Super - Legerra

The suppliers are saying there is a better choice for me if i go to 18" wheels, i do not mind doing this provided they will not clash with body work or running gear.
    I also do not understand the the offset of 10mm on the front and 19mm on the rear, are the wheels to have this offset included or is the difference taken up with spacers?
    Could someone clarify these points for me?
    Your help will be greatly aprreciated.
    Allen C