Beiträge von zm850i

Hi all. To cut the long story short, ROUGH IDLE IS FIXED on my car!!! :D:D:D (sorry, had to shout just because BMW service couldn’t rectify the problem and I fixed it myself, how good does that feel I can not explain.) And did not had to spend $2,500 like BMW service suggested but only $525 for 2 new MAFS. Alto only needed one, the price for remanufactured one was $495 so for the extra $30 I have a new one for spare.
    Ones again I am a happy 8 owner. :D

I received the 2 new Mass Air Flow Sensors yesterday (after a slight delay), installed them both 2 minutes latter started the car and like magic the rough idle was gone. Just to make sure my troubleshooting/testing was valued I tested the old MAF’s and found that the one that made no difference to the RPM when plug was disconnected, was in fact faulty.

Special thanks go out to Theo Hoffs for his support and right advice.
    (anyone in need of parts for their e31 Theo is your guy to contact. (no, he did not pay me to say that))
    And to everyone here on clube31 for being such a gr8 community, helping each other and those in need to keep their rare spicy( the 8 series) in top shape.

Zoran

Hi all, I'm new to clube31 and only had my 1990 850i for amazing 4 months now. But that's not to say that i haven't been in love with the 8 series ever since I seen my first one back in the nineties.

For the past 3 weeks I’ve had the same problem as Aylson Doyle.
    Rough idle and powerless up to 3,000rpm, and pass 3 grand runs fine (or not as rough).
    The next day after it happened I took the car to BMW service to be diagnosed. 3 days latter and $600+ they give it back to me exactly as it was. This was their report:

""Rectify engine lacking power.
    Carried out DIS diagnostics found fault with oxygen sensors reaching past limit. (-Emission RHS cold 0.02%300Hc>120, LHS 0.01 @ 120 too lean, O2 off LHS = same but 60hc & RHS 09% & 20hc = inj)
    Recommend vehicle to have all spark leads and DME caps checked and cleaned. Also recommend carbon blasting to eliminate carbon in combustion cylinder. Also recommend full injector service and also possible air mass meter replaced.
    This vehicle requires process of elimination to further trouble shooting.
    Engine is running smoother then before.""

Engine was not running smoother then before, worst if anything. However, i realized that they can not rectify the problem and did not want to take out a second mortgage just to spend it on things that i may or may not need.

I did some tests for my self, and by removing the electrical plug of the RHS flowmeter (shown in the picture sent by Thierry) there was no change in the RPM. By disconnecting the LHS the engine almost stopped.
    I ordered 2x New MAF's last week so hopefully they be here by end of this week (altho i have a feeling new MAFs will somehow not fix the rough idle). My understanding is that MAF are only sensors and only give reading of how much air goes through and have no moving parts, therefour they can not be bad.
    I will check the lamda tomorrow or on the weekend as Peter West suggested. Is this something i can do my self? if yes can some one point me to the right direction, please?

Good luck to you Alison hope you fix your car soon, and please keep us posted.

Zoran from sunny (and beautiful) Perth Australia.