Beiträge von ukzero

Hello chaps - Brendan here.
    Nearly a year since I sold my 840 (nearly bought it back as then reappeared for sale at much less than I sold it for!).
    I have had a 635d since then. Wonderful car, but not the same presence and suffers from this incurable problem called depreciation, so decided to let it go, cash in my Premium Bonds (which have earned me less than 1% return over the last ten years) and buy something which is steadily appreciating. Considered another 8 Series, but wanted something new to me.
    The new car has faults which no Lada owner would tolerate, but most can be fettled over time and somehow they fade from my mind when I drive it and yes, just look at it.
    I must be the only man on the planet who doesn't really get E Types, so have bought a 2002 Aston Martin DB7 V12 Vantage.
    Anyway - have asked Timm if I'll be allowed to come to Duxford as a guest so may see some of you there. The DB7 will be pre-Brendanisation so a long way from the condition of my previous 840, but give it time ;)

Having just sold my car (Hooray!)(Sob!)(Bit of both) I was considering what tyres to put on my 635d. The 19" wheels and run flats (granite side walls) are endangering my spine.
    I was considering 453 "go flats", but..........
    The runflat Bridgestones are almost new, but just too "sporty" for this old crock ;)

Zitat von arnie;118779

The 6-series is a fine car and a few months ago I was almost tempted by an 2005 M6 version with the V10.:smile:

The M6 was my original choice, but I love the panoramic glass roof (not available on the cf roofed M6) and also love the 40 mpg, cheap tax and insurance of the diesel, but most of all, I love the 427 ft/lb of torque from the twin turbo :)

And thanks for the comments Timm. Will tweak when I get a moment.

I have already bought its replacement. Had to know it was the right car before I sold the 840.
    I nearly bought a DB7, more than once, but other than the gorgeous looks I found both variants oddly disappointing to drive (bits creaking and trim falling off didn't help).
    I needed to break out of the classic car trap (and its zero NCD insurance entitlement) and buy something that would not cost the earth to insure or tax and do a long journey with zero effort and reasonable economy.
    So let's get it over and done with, confession time, after quite a bit of searching I've bought a 2009 BMW 635d sport with a glass roof and all the toys. Yes. I know. But I'm happy with it and I guess that's what matters :)

I've enjoyed 9 years driving, maintaining and tinkering with my car, but with other changes in my life the time has come to part company.
    After owning the car for so long I am simply ready for a change.
    I will miss it, but am now ready to say goodbye.
    It will appear for sale in the next few weeks for about £8750 and we'll see what happens.

Yes.
    Piggy backed the high output cables to the OEM rear parcel shelf bass units and used resistors to give a suitable input for a sub.
    I chose a sub with twin coils to take both L & R signals from a twin channel amp.
    Done a while ago so I can't remember the exact details of what I did - but it works beautifully.

Unlike last year the weather was glorious.
    Like last year the welcome was warm.
    Some very nice cars to admire in the sunshine.

Unfortunately ours was a flying visit as we had a very busy weekend - including our son leaving home to become an RN Officer.

Zitat von CaifanSC;109140

I know its an UBER thread resuscitation but I have a question for the original poster. I saw one of your threads on bimmerforums where you show an upgraded set of sensors for your 840. They are smaller, more discreet sensors versus the original huge sensors with the square bases. Any info you can provide about the smaller sensors? Part numbers perhaps? Modifications you had to do to make them work?

Thanks!

Hi. The small PDC kit was from ebay and roughly 40GBP. Can't remember supplier. It replaced all the OEM components. The hard part was filling the old giant holes!

My insurance is due and I needed to update those giving me quotes with new pictures.
    These have two functions - to justify to the insurers that they should maintain the current agreed value of £10K and for the underwriters to "assess" the various modifications, to see if I deserve "classic" status, or be written off (;-)) as an old boy racer who's just been pimping his ride!

Below is the link to eleven of the photos I sent off last week.

http://www.ukzero.com/840Gall.htm

The important match between 245/40x18 and 285/35x18 is the 0.5% rotation speed difference - no issue for ABS/Traction

Narrower variants such as 235/40x18 and 265/35x18 have a 0.4% rotational speed difference - again no issue.

1 or 2 percent difference in speedo reading/gearing between these options will have a tiny effect.
    I guess the reasons BMW chose 245/40x18 and 285/35x18 as an option for the Csi was to make it more "meaty" than the 840 and add more contact area for cornering?

I have a 1997 price list.
    The £56,850 base price "840Ci Auto" lists "M Sports Suspension" as a £445 option or EDC III as a £1350 option - so yes, a base spec "840Ci Auto" has neither.
    The £56,850 base price - yes, same price!!!! "840Ci Auto Sport" has "M Sports Suspension" as standard, but then offers EDC III as a £905 extra.......