Beiträge von ukzero

I was one of those who wanted to keep the EDC system on my car.
    I accept that good single rate shocks can work really well (many millions of such cars prove this!) and work infinitely better than tired EDC, but I had been seduced by the dark side's dual handling personality offered by EDC (couple this with the auto/steptronic gearbox and I have multiple cars in one body to suit my mood) :harhar:

The cost of new EDC shocks would be near impossible to justify - if mine fail in the future I would have to go "single rate" :dontknow:
    Luckily, at the time I enquired, Sportsline were still doing rebuilds at about £250 a corner (they don't any more and turn down such requests).
    The rebuild only replaces some of the components, such as pistons and seals, but not the valves or bodies, so totally knackered, broken or rusted through shocks greatly reduce the risk of success/long life - one reason they stopped offering the service. My original system still worked and didn't leak, but had done 100k miles - so good rebuild material.
    Even so, in my case they did need to replace one of the seals after 12 months (no quibble and no charge), but other than that I have been thrilled :)

Burn - I presume you've been in both E31 variants. I wouldn't want to be without EDC, but many others on this forum can't wait to bin it. It is very important you experience it (working properly) first hand before spending big bucks.

Crikey Gerry - asking me to remember anything these days is a tall order:hmmmm:

When one is nearer to 60 than 50, two things definitely begin to happen - memory loss and getting up during the night :oops:

Zitat von 8Tech;106036

If you are in any doubt, you will undoubtably find out when the inner pistons seize

Explains it all - including why I had to get mine rebuilt. Thanks.

Work fine now though :)

I have found the adjustment of the cruis control auxillary throttle cable is critical to it's performance.
    If it's too loose the delay and hunting/lurching is obvious.
    What I do is tighten it right up to the point where it's about to raise the idle revs.
    Adjusted like this it behaves perfectly.

Please pardon my possible ignorance here, but when I had my stock front calipers reconditioned I was told they were definitely Brembo units.
    Does this mean that the Brembo front kit mentioned is a bigger kit, or did some E31s not have Brembo calipers?

Zitat von wokke;105477

I used to get mad about people using two parking slots. Meanwhile I do it myself quite often. Works well ;)

Ok when in an empty corner I suppose, but I too have vented my frustration at those who fill two bays when it's been very busy or even full.

I asked Quarry motors if they had an instrument binnacle hood/cover (separate section of main dash) in any colour as it's to be leather trimmed.
    They said "yes" and at £40 including postage I thought it worth a go.
    I've just taken delivery of an actual instrument binnacle :motz:
    Looks as though this little project is doomed before it starts :oops:

Thanks for the info guys.
    I've had an antifreeze smell since I bought my car in 2005.
    BMW did a pressure test back then and declared it leak free and declared the smell to be from a (non-existent) air freshener!
    It's never got worse, never caused misting, or anything else - but has never gone away either.

Looks as though this could be the nudge I needed to tackle this and play pimp my ride all in one go :)

Do either of you know if the binnacle cover is fixed to the rest of the dash by fixings or glued/welded?

OMG - Er no I didn't.
    I kind of hoped the instrument section, being a separate piece on top, would come away without needing to remove the whole dash assembly.
    Is it due to hidden fixing lugs?
    Perhaps I could get brutal and or creative?

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;104945

Will you be continuing the leather across the centre vent?

I guess my description wasn't that clear. I've just spent £40 on the binnacle cover/hood section. If you'll excuse the 60 second sketch below, a picture paints a thousand words so they say :)

If it looks pants, I'll put the old one back.

Inspired by the idea (if not some of the colours), I've just bought a second hand binnacle cover to play with.
    My plan is black leather with stitching around the lip.
    If it works - great, if not, well, the original will still be untouched :harhar:

Will post results if/when they happen.......

Beautiful morning for a drive :)

Here's one reason why there are no dents or scratches on my car - this is as close as I ever park to anyone else.
    If a car park is crowded, I don't go in.
    There, that's my Sunday morning confession :oops:

I've no idea how common failure of this part is.

However, availability is going to be more critical than absolute cost and if the bronze ones are easier to machine, then those are the ones I'd go for.

Would a small groove be feasible for oiling?

At this point I should point out that I'm absolutely NOT an expert in such things, but as you asked for comments it seemed right to respond.