Beiträge von ukzero

No car, not even a new one, has to have a cat fitted to pass the UK MOT test. This is a popular misconception.
    However, before you all go out and throw yours into the nearest heavy metal recycling bin, there is, of course, a catch.
    The emissions test for a car new enough to have a cat fitted will be much, much stricter than for a pre-93 car without a cat requirement.
    You will definitely struggle to get your car through this emissions test without a cat.
    I don't know if it's possible to do it, someone else can answer that bit, but be warned.

Hope this helps!

I am not that far from Gaydon (assuming it's near MK) so am definitely interested.
    I have to confess I've never been to this type of event before.
    Can anyone recommend it and/or give some clues about what to expect as I've no idea what goes on.

The BBS wheels are very difficult to refurbish properly.
    They can be made to look really good quite easily - but a getting a good finish that lasts is another story.
    The bolts will almost certainly show rust marks quite quickly unless stainless replacements are used, but then there is the risk of disturbing the seating of the inner/outer sections.
    On a day to day note, they are also difficult to keep clean!
    I also have a spare set with new tyres which I am keeping for "originality" reasons and spent a lot of time researching refurbishment before deciding to change wheels.

Thanks Arnie – you’ve solved a mystery.
    I’ve double checked. My car isn’t a Sport. Not sure if I should feel upset or not.
    However, the options list includes everything on the Sport except the suspension – which has EDC instead. I guess the original buyer wanted EDC even if it meant a very expensive way of getting it.
    Thirty two options in all are listed – mind you “English Handbook” hardly counts. I wonder what the record number of options is?

I agree with Arnie’s comments.
    Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
    I came out of B&Q to find another 8 and its owner parked beside mine in the car park.
    What I didn’t expect was his opening comment – “You’ve got a nice car, but it’s a shame about the interior – black looks so much better”. Yet it was the unusual interior that drew me to the car in the first place.

My car was kind of misquoted as being a Sport when I bought it. On the dealer print-out my car is listed as an 840i – no more. However, the extras list includes everything on the Sport and far more besides. I bought it as a Sport, but am not sure how I should describe it come selling time. It is an “Individual”, but it appears many 8’s were.

There is an increasing number of poorly maintained cars appearing for sale – inevitable when purchase prices fall so low. I suppose it might mean the number of good cars left will continue to fall even faster – may even help resale prices in the end!

Am I the only person who likes EDC?
    I have driven both and despite the threat of telephone number repair bills one day I still wouldn’t swap.

It's good to see that the club caters for cars (and owners!) with delivery mileage right up to those with inter-galactic miles under their bonnet!

I suppose it depends on the owner's mid to long term plans (and wallet!). If the car is to be kept long term, then an expensive "minter" may well be worth the investment.
    However I had one email from an owner who'd stumbled across my website, who bought an 840 in a colour he didn't like, with not one of the extras he wanted, but with very low miles. He was happy with his investment, but ultimately not with the car. He didn't want to drive it much anyway as it would add miles. Missing the whole point really!

I love my 8 at the moment and have had a great time getting it just the way I want it (made the interior mods "retro-removable" just in case!), but just know that in a few years I will start to look at other depreciation bargains.
    By the time I sell my car it may well have covered up to 115k (just reached 100k now), but as it is otherwise immaculate and has every single possible extra including CSi type trim and cost £8500 eighteen months ago, I don't expect continued depreciation to be as much as your average family hatch.
    It's great when you can afford to buy and run a car that was originally intended for the seriously wealthy!

So, "You pays yer money and takes yer choice"

Hopefully all well maintained 8's will continue be able to find homes - whether they're just run-in or even if they have crossed the dreaded 100000 mile barrier.

On different notes - my car has the dark headlining on its build specs - but the headlining is light grey. I have been told that the original owner (must have paid the earth for the full extra/individual list) found the dark colour oppressive and had it changed back - may be true, may be made up - any similar experiences out there?

I just want to praise Wollaston BMW in Northampton for doing those jobs requiring special tools so well and for so little money - and no I'm not being sarcastic!

As I removed the seats to get the interior the way I wanted it, I discovered the dreaded Airbag light syndrome first hand. Was very relieved when the diagnostics software I am running was able to sort it - can't believe what the dealers charge to put a light out.

I suppose that's the beauty of DIY - you do it to suit your own personal preferences. Luckily I find it very comfortable.

The wheel is dire I agree. The red and blue stitching can't hide the fact that it's so unspecial.
    Is there an airbag equipped alternative that fits?

I have also fitted an arm rest - same source, but different way of fitting - quite fiddly.
    It has hidden hinges and allows the cubby hole to be used beneath it.
    Those who don't know 8's assume it is original. I can't imagine why one was never fitted.

Also managed to get a subwoofer to fit that has also passed as original - even more fiddly.
    Judge for yourself - click on the picture for my gallery.

If it's any use, my Owners's Handbook lists "permissible" tyre/wheel combinations.

If you use 18" rims it specifies 285/35 rears and 245/40 fronts.

I wrote a small Excel spreadsheet to do accurate tyre/wheel calculations (which is very easy to use) and it didn't quite match these sizes, but given my experience with insurance companies I've stuck to the manufacturers specs.

I have been in an Eight with 19" rims, but the ride was too harsh for my taste - I have 18" which I believe gives the best compromise (and doesn't affect insurance premiums or claims).

Hope this helps.

A word of caution.
    When I was about to renew my warranty I contacted BMW with a "What if?" question.
    "What if my gearbox stopped working?"
    "We would strip it down, decide if it failed due to defect or wear. If defect, we would replace it, if wear you would need to pay the full bill."
    "Does that apply to the engine?"
    "Yes sir"
    I didn't renew my warranty - it isn't as complete as I had imagined!

Good luck in your Eight hunting.

Sorry Severed - didn't mean to ignore you.
    Was writing my post when you submitted yours.

Looks like when I was told that the electric column was rare this was inaccurate.

Thanks for replying PJB. Nice looking example.

I promised Bimmerman840ci I'd investigate his rear blind query.

There is a module, but not very big and it is situated on the parcel shelf near the blind itself.
    To give detailed instructions I'd need to do the job myself, but the wiring is relatively simple - in fact, very simple for an Eight. Should be able to fit one quite easily with normal DIY mechanic/electrical skills.
    It depends on the cost of the parts (shade with motor, control module and switch).
    It should even be possible to do a cut down version without the module and DIY wiring, but again, I'd need to do it to see how easy it'd be.

A generic one might fit, but it'd be a shame not to use the proper one.

Hopefully someone out there has actually done it and will advise you in detail.

Good luck.

In the workshop manual (pdf version based on microfiche and bought on Ebay) it gives details of how to physically remove/fit the blind.
    It does involve removing the parcel shelf which it quaintly calls the "hat rack", but looks quite straight forward.
    I will look at my wiring diagram when I get home to see if it needs a dreaded "module" or if you can get away with more conventional wiring.
    As you've mentioned your car's got most extras, does that include the electric steering column?
    (Works with memory seats and mirrors and retracts when the key is removed)
    I'm curious to know how common this extra was.

My 1997 840 has BMW PDC fitted - all parts have "BMW" on the back or them.
    The original owner must have been feeling very wealthy as they ticked every option available apart from the phone preparation - but on the dealer printout PDC is not mentioned. PDC doesn't appear in my 1997 price list either.
    So, was this a dealer fit option only or did it only become available after 1997 when it would have been retro-fitted?
    I ask because more than one person has insisted that this was never available for the E31 and "shouldn't be there".