Beiträge von Peter Schweinsberg

Wipers and windscreen washers gone mad

Thanks everyone.
    Took a few days for me find the time but when you know the fix, it only took minutes.

Fuse #15 had failed.
    When replaced, operated the wipers and they parked correctly.

Have not tested every other function but will when I can wet the windscreen.

Hoping that this is not an indication of a more serious fault.
    Time will tell.

Peter

Drove intercity a couple of weeks ago.
    On the way had to turn on the wipers and windscreen washer.
    They went crazy.
    The washers emptied the water reservoir.
    The wipers decided to wipe about five or so times then stop.
    The wipers then would not work for a while, but after a period, if you flicked the switch, repeated the above.
    They will not park properly, in fact they are more likely than not to park in the middle of the screen or anywhere they like.
    To get them out of the way, I have pull over, get them working, then turn off the ignition just as they reach the bottom.
    Then they are at least out of the way.
    They do not start again provided I do not switch them on.

Spoke to my 8 Mechanic about it.
    He suggested disconnecting the batteries for about 15 mins.
    Did it and no change.
    Did it again for about four hours without change.
    Latest suggestion is to disconnect for 24 hours.
    Will try tomorrow.

Any ideas ?

Peter :help:

What a great idea.
    Looks like it works on the principal of a bicycle free-wheel sprocket.
    Who would have thought that it would take this long to think of it.
    I would like the thoughts of an auto sparkie, to see it there could be any objection to the idea.
    Then I too would love to know where you get these pulleys from.
    Are they a stock BMW part for a current model ?
    If so which one and ideally a part number.
    Also, looking forward to your answer to arnie's question.

Driving the 8 with a conscience ?

If a "green" ever asked me that question about my 850, I would ask him three questions:
    1. Which is his favorite airline ?
    2. Does he fly often ?
    3. Does he shop the net for the cheapest tickets ?
    Or perhaps it might be necessary to add:
    4. Does he dream of being able to afford an overseas holiday ?

These questions fall flat if his only transport is a push bike, his lady has hairy legs and armpits, they use a horse to pull the plow, sell their produce at the farm gate, use home made candles to light their home at night, and their children wear home made clothes.

But if he is an enthusiastic accumulator of frequent flyer points I would ask whether he was prepared to go back to 1948, when there was no frequent flyer program, it cost half a years average wage to fly from Australia to the UK and back and I would attempt to explain to him that if he would allow price elasticity of demand to kick in and make a real contribution to reducing carbon dioxide production, he would not need to worry about my car.

An interesting thing is that the "great unwashed" never make this remark about one of my other cars, a genuine "gas guzzler", a 1957 Vanden Plas Princess (see pics.) Less than 10MPG. It empties its 16 imp. gal. tank so fast at 70 MPH you can see the fuel gauge moving.

Most of the "greens" who ask this question are actually displaying covetousness.
    They wish they could have one too, and are trying to justify the reason why they can't.

Warming up the car in the morning??

Hi Guys,
    In my experience, most modern car manufacturers advise you to drive straight off as soon as your engine has started.

These days we have multigrade engine oils, and the manufacturers specify the right one for you, depending on environmental temperature ranges.

We also have high pressure oil pumps and very precise bearing tolerances.
    Metallurgy has come a long way since the Titanic's plates cracked on impact with the iceberg.
    Crank shaft bearing journals and cylinder surfaces have sophisticated finishes which verge on the black arts practiced by men in white coats with funny glasses and the letters "Ing" in front of their name.
    So I am satisfied that as soon as the "oil can" on the dash goes out, I can engage first gear and drive off.

I am not suggesting that you do this if you have just rolled her off the trailer onto the starting line of a drag strip, and are about to record a new acceleration record.
    I am only suggesting that you can drive off and assume that you are pulling out of your driveway into normal town traffic on your way to the next traffic bottleneck.
    Under these conditions your engine will be fine.

If on the other hand, you live 20 metres from the start of an autobahn, I would suggest you stay in the slow lane until your engine reaches normal running temperature.
    Then feel free to open her up to whatever the authorities allow.

On the other hand, if we go back into the history of the motor car, and are talking about an old engine. For example one like the rare classic British 4 litre six that powers my Vanden Plas Princess and will do a genuine 100 MPH, don't get excited because that's not bad for a 50s limo.
    I always wait until the tappets stop ticking before I do more than pull out onto the forecourt of my garage.
    Even then I wait until the Rolls Royce gear box decides that it is time to engage top gear, before I press the metal to the floor.

If I drove a 1930s American six, with splash feed, I would be even more careful than I am with the Princess.

These are my thoughts. Hope they help.

Frequency....

Hi guys,
    I have done 8,000 Km in the past 14 months since "she" came into my life.

Whenever my wife and I can make an excuse to go somewhere: a weekend away, a distant restaurant, a vineyard for stock for the cellar, the 850 comes too. She goes to church every Sunday to keep the batteries charged.

She is not expensive. I do the engine oil change every four months and she gets an annual check over and thorough service by an expert. Fuel economy on the open road is about 700 Km to a tank, very reasonable. I don't expect much depreciation the previous owners copped that.

We plan is to "wear her out", I am now 64 so at 7,000 Ks per year she will pass 200,000 Ks when I am 78. Given that I have a T3 VW commercial in my business fleet with 400,000 Ks and still the same engine, and I think that the 850 is better engineered, I figure that they will take my licence away before the engine needs a recon.

There is a lesson here. We recently stripped down my VW T3 SYNCHRO 4WD's engine at 200,000 Km. There was no measurable wear on the crank. Regular oil changes, regular use and minimized cold starts make all the difference. It was hard to get standard relacement bearings.

I just love to slip behind the 850s wheel and cruise. Everything is just so effortless. Dare I say: sensual.

Car covers, discuss.

Be careful with waterproof car covers.
    They sweat, and create a damp zone underneath.
    Best to keep a good quality polish up to the paint and have a high quality UV protected dust cover, which breaths.
    The sun is the most damaging thing for a car that is left out in the open.
    There are some covers around that are partially reflective, and I feel that they would be even better.
    Ok, the car will get wet but it wont be steam dried.

What's in your car collection ?

I'm an eclectic collector and have been collecting for over 40 years.
    Getting close to retirement and have been planning a major series of restorations for years.

THE FLEET:
    Austin 10 saloon 1934
    Austin Sheerline DS1 c 1948
    Singer soft top utility c 1950
    Vanden Plas Princess DM3 c1953
    Singer 4AD Roadsters c 1952-56 3 of
    Vanden Plas Princess MkIV DS7 c 1956
    VW Camper 1974

VW Caravelle 1982
    (3.6 Porsche engine, G50 GBox, Oettinger brakes, Konis, Pirrellis, etc.
    105Km in 2nd, 160 in 3rd can lose my licence at this speed so have never tried 4th or 5th )

VW Caravelle 4WD Synchro c 1989
    (currently blue printing, balancing and gas flowing engine)

BMW 850 "Alpina" fake 1991 ( latest addition to fleet )
    Am in the process of "nit picking" the 850 to fix the little things that have fallen off, been broken or cobbled over time.
    Sort of a restoration of a car that most people don't think needs restoring.

Wife has:
    VW Polo 2 door SE c. 2003

Plus:
    A some VW Commercials

Sunroof will not tilt

I have the same problem.
    The sun roof slides back and forth perfectly, but it does not tilt.
    In fact, when I bought the car, I was not even aware that it did tilt.
    I find it great on a warm summers day when cruisng on a scenic drive at about 80 Km/hr to have all the windows down as well as the sun roof open,
    almost as good as a convertible, but the turbulence gets a bit uncomfortable at much above 80.

So I'm really looking forward to hearing about the cure as well.
    javascript:emoticon(':D')
    Very Happy

Please comment on this 1998 Ci (M62) for sale

Hey Guys,
    Cut the criticism of early 8's.
    My Nov 90, make date, 850 "Alpina Replica" gives me a lump in the throat when I look at it. Its an example of the most beautiful car ever to hit the road, and gem to drive.

I love them for what they are:
    Magnificently engineered Autobahn expresses.
    My friend Gunter had a 750 & an 850 in his garage when I visited him in Germany a few years ago.
    While driving to his factory at 220Km/hr in the 750, I asked him which he preferred to drive.
    His answer:
    "Peter, if I want to go fast, I take the 850, they give way to me."

Provided they are regularly serviced and fixed as soon as something goes wrong they should last "forever". Slowly acquiring a patina of age.

When I was really active in the old car movemet, there were two classes: Concours d Elegance & Concours d''Etate.
    The first is for museum pieces, the second is for cars that are driven to be enjoyed.
    If you don't drive your 8 you can guarantee the seals, etc will deteriorate.

Theo,
    A Sydney get together is a great idea so we need some suggestions as to where.
    A couple of suggestions:
    1. Lane Cove National Park near Chatswood on the lower North Shore.
    . $7.00 entrance fee, BBQ's which need wood, I can bring some,
    2. Garigal National Park over the river from Roseville near Chatswood. . Same deal as Lane Cove.
    3. Riverside Restaurant at Brooklyn just up the expressway from Sydney
    Acceptable food, nice outlook but we can't take the cars inside.

Other suggestions to Theo please.

Peter Schweinsberg

:D
    Elan,
    I was introduced to Motorworks in Waterloo by the dealer who sold me my car last November.
    Motorworks is a small operation and the dealer principal is Mark Kuok.
    Mark isn't cheap but I have been very impressed by his work and advice.
    Nothing that I've given him to date has phased him.
    He knows and loves BMWs and personally owns a few interesting examples.
    Give Mark a call on 02 9699 3676.

Peter Schweinsberg '90 850i (Alpina replica)