Beiträge von Nifty50

I think fuel consumption was improved with the cat removal. I rarely get less or more than 20mpg with the daily commute but on a decent run at average 85mph I get about 24-26mpg. I am convinced that it would be nearer 30mpg if you did a cross europe cruise. I am considering a 3rd car for daily commuting because I am just adding miles and burning fuel for very little enjoyment.

Chipped feedback

Met up with a mate at Gaydon last week and he couldn't wait to show me his rear end on the Aston Martin Test track since he had had his 850 fully chipped. The short and long of it was that he couldn't stay with me. My 850 is standard but with the cats removed following a stainless powerflow exhaust installation some years ago. We spoke to the guys at Thorney Motorsport while we were there and they reckoned that the cat removal probably achieved better results than the chips. I think he was a bit gutted :twisted: but I was certainly surprised. I went to a talk at Gaydon on engine management remapping and was quite impressed. They also talked quite a lot about fuel grades and are currently doing some extensive testing in this area. It seems to be coming out that Tesco 99 octane is producing the best results.

All good fun and by the way the Aston Test track was brilliant.

My last two oil changes have had the following different part No's for the Oil Filter.

B11.42.7.510.717
    B11.42.7.833.769

Anybody know which one is correct and if one is wrong what engine should it have been used on? :?

Incidentally, my dealer says they only use Castrol SLX at £14.04 per litre. I spoke to Castrol today and they advised there was no problem using it but as the car is not on a long service interval programme like the modern cars I was effectively chucking good money down the drain. They recommended GTX Magnatec at about £8.50 per litre. I rang them today and they are going to refund the difference :D

I actually think the whole cat issue is overstated. The emissions from my non cat 850 are so low they barely represent 1% of the allowable limit. Also, cats apparently don't work until the system reaches a working temperature so half of those people on the school run, shopping trips and short commutes don't make any difference anyway!! :roll:

Just had a chat with my friendly MOT man. The problem lies with the preprogrammed information in the computer. As soon as your car details are entered it comes up as either a Cat test or Non Cat test and the emission levels are pre-set. To his knowledge there is absolutely no way to bypass this procedure. However, there is apparently the possibility of a relaxation for modified vehicles whereby a test can be done 'as presented' in which case a Non Cat test can be carried out. On the back of the VOSA form there is a number that can be called to check your status. It was suggested that an explanation of the problem with the Ministry might get you a relaxation. It sounds like a bit of a long shot and it is likely that a compelling argument will be needed.

Hope this helps, good luck

As far as I know you do not have a choice. Only pre 93 cars have the option to remove cats altogether as the emission levels are different in the MOT test. I removed the cats on my 91 850 when I installed a custom stainless system. The sound is terrific but I never noticed any discernible improvement in power levels. Personally, having now lived with this system for a few years I would have preferred to have replaced with a stock system but cost was an issue. The entire stainless system, guaranteed for life was less supplied, fitted incVat than the supply only of the two rear boxes from the dealer. At the time it was a no brainer. The original boxes rotted through at 8K presumably through lack of use.

Worth giving your local MOT station a call.

Regards

Maybe it's because they only need Dimes to fill up with at the gas station?? :lol: :lol::lol:

I've now realise why the UK spec cars have a 2" high pocket in their door panels, It's for the credit cards!! :cry::cry::cry:

Rear Screen

Have got same problem in bottom corners of rear screen. I recently had a front screen replaced and asked about the problem. No, it cannot be fixed as it is the beginning of delamination. :cry:

Unable to comment on your second question :?

Gaydon

Contact Andrew on 01225 709009 10am - 4.00pm M-F and ask for entry tickets £6.00 with display pass. The display pass is free but will help the Marshalls direct you to the correct areas. If interested also ask Andrew about the Aston Martin test track. Entry is £10 and is supposedly well worth a run. :lol:

You do not need to be a club member to purchase advance discounted tickets.

Regards

Gaydon

It's the biggest national event of the year held at the Heritage Motor Centre near Gaydon, Warwickshire just off J12 of the M40. Ticket includes entry to the Museum and there are many side stands and events going on including a rolling road, concours, show and shine, car clinics etc. You can take your car on the Aston Martin test track (at extra cost). There will be a feature display of 02's as it is their 40th birthday but every other BMW new and old will be on display. It really is a good day out and you can picnic there or purchase food and drink from the many food stalls. The best day to meet fellow enthusiasts and talk about all the things this forum is used for.

Check out the BMW car club website and follow links to events etc and if you just surf around the Gaydon festival websites you will find much information and photos. Tickets purchased in advance are at a discounted rate. :D

Who's going to Gaydon this year? :D

The BMW car club who organise the marshalling for the parking need to know approximate numbers in order to allocate space for model display lineups. I am not the organiser but am happy to coordinate with him regarding number of attendances.

For all of you who are not members it is well worth it just for the magazine, reduced entry costs, insurance discounts, comaradery etc, etc.

Last year there were (from memory) about 32 8's

Let me know.

Cheers

It is only possible to engage top gear at 50mph(850i 4spd auto). As a good proportion of my daily commute is sub 50 mph it is spent in 3rd gear with obvious excess fuel consumption. Once in top gear it will happily travel at lower speeds but it is very frustrating when you just can't get it to 50mph in the first place. Does anyone know if there is a chip or something available that will allow an earlier selection of top gear?

Obviously 6spd manuals do not have this problem and is probably why they get better consumption figures.

Any thoughts or similar acknowledgements?