Beiträge von Nifty50

It seems to me that you have turned the corner as all that work is the nasty stuff and you have got that out of the way now. You must be quite chuffed and I for one, applaud you:adore:

Try not to get all that lovely powder coating covered in road salt.

Cheers

Graham

Zitat von NickF;133088

My car (1990 V12) has the ASC+T

Hi Nick,

I am feeling your pain with this project. It is not fair that one man has such a journey, what with the accident a few years ago. Your perseverance and endurance is a credit to you.

Just curious about the ASC+T as I am sure this was only available with manual transmission and I thought yours was auto therefore only ASC?

Good luck with this latest issue and it is pleasing to note that you have the two masters chipping in with advice. Regrettably, I am only good for moral support:top:

Cheers

Graham

I have had this request and unfortunately cannot make it myself. Please either respond directly to Andrew or on this forum if anyone can assist.

I'm organizing a cover photoshoot for Classic Cars magazine with a group of V12 cars of different makes and would like to include an 850i. I wonder if you have a member with a suitable car who might be interested in taking part?

It needs to be a standard car in good condition, and ideally a bright colour. The shoot will be at Longcross in Surrey, later this month – date to be decided.

Anyone spring to mind?

Regards
    Andrew

Andrew Noakes
    Freelance motoring writer
    Chairman, The Guild of Motoring Writers
    Senior lecturer in automotive journalism, Coventry University

Tel 01584 823340
    Mob 07980 293539
    Email
    "andrew@pgan.com"
    Web
    www.andrewnoakes.com
    Twitter @andrewnoakes
    [/email]
    "andrew@pgan.com"

Graham

Quick update.

Because the batteries were 8 years old I decided to change them anyway and as soon as they were installed she fired up and purred. The odd smell will have to remain a mystery for the time being although I can think of a few humorous possibilities. Maybe Timm's mouse from his fan and radiator overhaul project found its way down to Sussex! Two batteries from the local dealer at £80 each including Vat was a nice surprise too.

Zitat von NickF;132210

I'd get your hammer out Graham. Seriously, it's worth a quick whack as it may have just got jammed.

Always nice to know you are lurking Nick and yes, had it been the starter I would have certainly given it a couple of whacks first! Having read up on the replacement procedure it was not a job to be relished. How is your project progressing?

Cheers

Graham

Hi chaps,

Car won't start and relay just clicks but everything else seems to work i.e.. lights, windows, fan etc.

Also noticed a strange smell in cockpit that could be electrical?

Is it likely to be the batteries (8 years old) and would they have enough juice to power the various functions but not for the starter?

Do the batteries suddenly fail? I have noticed a slight sluggishness in starting just recently

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Graham

Zitat von Superstarr840;130653

I get it back Saturday but have pictures emailed to me most weeks showing the progess. If you would like some examples just message me and I can email them on.
    Cheers Phil.

Hi Phil,

Can we all see them please.:top:

Cheers
    Graham

Hello Oliver,

I have slightly mislead you as I am not Rob. I attached the email from Rob that came to me but his email address is at the bottom of the post and I am sure he will be very happy to give you some information.

I am pleased that this post has been of interest to you.

Best wishes

Graham

Zitat von Jango;130442

Hi

I have been watching any csi that comes up for sale in the uk and the ones that have sold in the last 3 years have be between £7k to 22k

Hope you are watching this one!

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Sales/519.aspx

I just wanted to let you know that the car is sorted now and has a full MOT. It is being auctioned this weekend, Saturday 9th April at Tennants Auctioneers in Leyburn, North Yorkshire.

Rob

Rob Hutchinson
    Centre Manager & Stakeholder Engagement
    The Technical Academy
    Phone: 01915185579
    Mobile: 07949439686
    Email: "robert.hutchinson2@eastdurham.ac.uk"

The Technical Academy, 1 Palmer Road, South West Industrial Estate, Peterlee SR8 2HU[/email]

Zitat von sandwich;129273

I know there's some really optimistic bods asking silly money but I know in a couple of years, who the fool will be! I just can't justify £15k for an unknown car.

But how much would you be willing to pay for a car you do know?

Can't help you with diagnostic software as have never used it but many have and will surely advise.

I have experienced your problem once before and it turned out to be a failed Mass Airflow Meter. If you can borrow one that you know is good it might be worth a try before paying out for software.

Beware cheap copy Mafs if you need to replace. Breakers are a possibility as they are very expensive new.

Has anybody seen the Porsche Mission E?

OMG, that is definitely not boring! More than 600bhp and 0-100km/hr in under 3.5 seconds.

I saw the Tesla this year whilst marshalling at the Brighton speed trials and that was unbelievable but this Mission E is on a mother planet.

Zitat

But aren't Mercedes for old men? (sorry Graham :wink:)

The ones I drive are Nick, but methinks Egil is in a different league. AMG's are fantastic but so very subtle which I guess makes them all the more appealing. If I was shelling out £60-£100K I would want everyone to be in no doubt about what I was driving

Zitat von NickF;129295

Anyone owned a Panamera or similar? I wonder if Porsche manage the functional yet interesting a bit better.

I have been quite smitten with the Porsche Macan in recent months and have followed a few reviews. It appears that even a low volume manufacturer such as Porsche has succumbed to many of the good points raised by Steve in an earlier thread. The Macan has fetched premiums recently due to short supply but delivery is catching up. On the face of it they seem like a good alternative to BMW and Audi but the reviews concluded that their quality was questionable and not nearly in the same league as the more expensive Cayenne.

Good time to go and fill up the 8 with fuel now less than £1/litre