Beiträge von Nifty50

Richard at Refined Detail works on an hourly rate only. When I first spoke to him about some work a few months ago it was £25/hr but it has gone up to £30/hr. He spent 10hrs on my car and I was very comfortable with the price because I just know I could never have achieved what he did and believe me, I enjoy doing this kind of work. He is extremely busy and is now booking after Xmas. It was no surprise his rate went up because it is the only way he could possibly control demand. He tells me that 90hrs work a week is not uncommon:shock2:

No paintwork involved BB, but I must confess I had no idea the arches would come up so clean. I honestly thought they were all black! The inside of the wheels and the arches had never been cleaned like this in 22 years.

Having taken the back break out of it I can now look forward to maintaining it in this condition.

Cheers guys

Graham

Well I finally got round to having my engine bay detailed and while it was there Richard did the wheels and arches for me and finally presented it with a good hand polish.

The photos are not in any particular order but I'm sure the differences will be obvious. I was blown away when I saw Richard's work and therefore had very high expectations.

I was not disappointed:) http://s589.photobucket.com/us…%20Harmes%20-%20BMW%20850

Cheers
    Graham

Zitat von steve;112745

I'm using paint protection film for years on my light strips.

I agree with you about the 'rock bullet'.

Have you had experience of the film yellowing with age?

I am told that a regular application of wax keeps the product in good shape as it protects against UV although I suppose it is inexpensive enough to just replace it if it becomes discoloured.

Cheers
    Graham

Having just shelled out £200 for the third time in as many years, I really wanted to find some protection for the FTP lights. I contacted many companies that make headlight protection products but they are all made for specific vehicles and absolutely no one I called would make them to measure.

I came across www.lamin-x.co.uk and ordered a 300mm x 200mm sheet of 1.00mm thick clear light protection film which I installed recently on the clear lens only as I have never had damage to the indicator lens. In practice, the 1mm is quite thick and I wasn't sure it would look OK when it first arrived, but it is not noticeable at all, even with close up inspection.

Only time will tell if it does the trick but for less than £20 it is worth a try.

Cheers
    Graham

An interesting but decidedly thoughtful approach rather than, as you say, sticking an ad on Auto Trader.

If I were looking for an 8 I would steer away from Auto Trader and Ebay. That is not to say they don't have there place but I always feel there is a degree of uncertainty and you will need to be content with time wasters and low offers. Pistonheads seems to have a decent image and many cars sell there or try and negotiate a commission sale with a local independent garage, the latter probably being my first choice if I were looking.

It all depends how much you want and how long you are prepared to wait. If your car is in great condition ask a decent price and wait for it. People don't appreciate that you will not turn a £2K nudger into a £10K classic for £8K, so if it is good, ask good money. You can place an advert in the BMWCC magazine even if you are not a member, this will more likely attract an enthusiast.

Good luck and sorry that you feel the need to move on.

Cheers
    Graham

Update.

Following some ramp time at Munich Legends it was confirmed that cars with ASC only have the filter in the pentosin chamber; I have since found many posts that indicate this but there are so many posts and variances in systems that it is very confusing.

Following a flush with 3 litres of Pentosin 11S I am confident that the 22 year old 7.1 is all gone and the car feels very different. No more groaning when cold and much lighter in response. Clearly, this was a well overdue job.

In one of the posts I read the author noted that very often either one or both gaskets 32.41.1.137.778 are missing, generally because if they are not in stock the technicians take it upon themselves to deem them as unnecessary. Both of mine were missing!!

Cheers
    Graham

I recently posted an article in "Off Topic" titled 840 v Z4 that featured an independent BMW/Mini franchise named Green Bower BMW.

They are based in South West Wales near St Davids and Tenby which I guess is nearer to you than Reading or Bristol. Since that article I have read good reports about them and they are well known within the BMW Car Club. They would appear to know a bit about the 840:top:

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Graham

Sounds like it will be fun:top:

I would say as long as your car has been well maintained you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure your tyres are OK as you might take some rubber off them. Drive within your own limits and just enjoy the experience. The car should be fine and it is unlikely that you will stress it beyond its designed parameters.

Post some pictures of the event if you get the chance.

Cheers
    Graham

Fabulous Jin,

She looks to be an absolute beauty.

My neighbour has the same model on an H plate along with his brand new M3. There is no comparison as to the build quality and he will out the M3 in a couple of years but will never say goodbye to his beloved Merc.

That rear end is every bit as nice as an 8's

Cheers
    Graham

Very nice result and a lot of hard work.:top:

Did you take any paint depth measurements before machine polishing?

The reason I ask is because I recently found out that I only have about 73microns in some places (boot lid) and machine polishing was ill advised. I think they like a minimum of 100-120 microns.

Thanks Reinhard,

Yes, I had read both of Gerry's posts on this before looking around the car and even laid on my back with a torch but couldn't make anything out. I wasn't expecting to see anything quite as shiny as Gerry's either!!

Munich Legends are having a Big Coupe Open Day soon with technical help and access to ramps etc so I will see what I can find out.

Cheers
    Graham

Zitat von NickF;111349

The one in front of the radiator is a pig

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/22217/

I am confused:hmmmm:

Is the in line filter only a feature of ASC+T or AHK? The reason I ask is that when the parts department searched for the correct numbers they became confused (poor things!) so they checked with BMW UK. The message that came back was that there is only one filter listed for my vehicle. I must confess it is a bit confusing because there are many references to ASC; ASC+T and AHK.

Anyway, I can't see where this second filter is on my car. Is it visible from above or will I need to put it on a lift to see it?

Cheers
    Graham

Hi Egil,

Firstly, it is interesting that there are so many variances in recommendations for tyre pressure as you can see from my sticker. Also interesting to note that they dropped the ZR rated tyres to R rated.

I have never driven another 8 whether 850 or 840 so it is difficult to compare but I do experience many of the features you mention. The most significant being the dramatic improvement in stability as speed increases. I have always found the 850 heavy and sluggish at low speeds and a tendency to tramline but perhaps not as bad as your experience. I changed to the 8 from a 1991 e32 735. The e32 steering and stability was simply fantastic and I just assumed that the 8 would feel the same but in a better looking body but I have to say it has always been a disappointment by comparison and I have never found out why. Like you, I have never had bush issues at MOT nor have I ever had uneven tyre wear so maybe it is just a feature. I do not think it has actually ever changed because when I was talking to a BMW dealer in the mid 90's they suggested the 840 was probably better because the 850 had always felt heavy in the steering department. At the time the 8 series for me, was always about the V12 and I just didn't want an 840, but as time has gone by it would seem that the driving experience in the 840 is probably better. The large tyres you run will contribute to tramlining.

Cheers
    Graham

Thanks very much guys, that's all good and useful information especially about the second filter; I hadn't realised there were two!

Cheers
    Graham