Beiträge von rob840

I am also looking for the same glass lense, drivers side, a stone hit mine and put a hole in it.

Reflector, etc is ok on mine so I will have a go at splitting the glass lense off if anyone has one handy?

I'm looking for a replacement oil pan:

The car is a 1998 840Ci - M62 4.4

BMW Part No: 11131702891
    Maybe the same as on 540i, 740i ?

RealOEM item 1: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/sho…&btnr=11_2191&hg=11&fg=10

Has anyone got a spare one lying around ?

Why do I need one - the car was caught in a flash flood a few years ago and fixed up by BMW under an insurance claim.
    Everything has been ok up until recently as I noticed a puddle of oil under the car. It turns out that the oil pan is badly deteriorated with rust and now has a hole in it which is leaking the oil. Plugged the hole with underseal to prevent total loss of oil and so the car is off the road until I can get it fixed with a replacement.

Update: I got one off a 730 being broken for spares and its identical.

I understand that most the compressors on the 530, 540 and 740 are also the same as the 8 series so might be worthwhile widening your search a little.

Thanks for the info, a few more questions if you dont mind;

Do you have a guage for the LPG?
    How many miles on a full tank of LPG?
    What happens when the LPG is empty?
    Where is the changeover switch located?
    Do you get cheaper road tax?

I had a brief experience with LPG about 3 years ago - I had an E32 7er with LPG for about 6 months until the engine threw a wobbler on the motorway about 100 miles from home. Power suddenly disappeared and running very lumpy, managed to limp back at 40mph top speed. The garage found 3 rocker arms had actually broken and said it was likely something to do to the LPG as they had never come across such a problem before. Due to the overall value of the car I ended up getting rid as it was and replacing it with an E38 7er.

I too, get depressed when filling up at ~£100 a pop. I only do about 8k miles pa but would most likely do a lot more if the cost per mile was cheaper.

However, if Im not using the 8er, Im using the 7er which has the same engine and fuel consumption. I do about 12k miles pa in the 7er so really could do with getting both of them done - 2 x £1800 = ouch !!

I am contemplating sticking it all on a 0% card for a year or two, that way the pain is much less and the overall cost shouldnt be too much difference until its all paid off.

The only thing that bothers me is what the government might do regarding the tax on LPG. A few years ago, diesel was half the price and there was a boom in diesel car manufacturing and sales. A lot of people enjoyed a lower cost of motoring for a brief spell until the government realised how much tax they were losing from petrol sales and hiked up the tax on diesel to compensate.

Whats to stop them doing the same with LPG?

Zitat von Wildatheart;50828

I absolutely adore my 8-er, and I feel great about running it as a daily driver (especially since converting it to LPG).

I have been looking at various LPG systems for a while now with a view to getting one installed when the funds are available.
    I would be very grateful if you could provide some information about your LPG system;

What did it cost?
    What type system is it?
    How long did it take to install?
    Where is the tank located and what capacity?
    Where is the filler located?
    Is the performance as good using LPG?
    Have you noticed any adverse affects using LPG?

Many thanks.

My wipers seized up across the middle of the screen whilst driving in the rain on the motorway (eek!), the RAC assumed the motor was shot and had to bring me home.

The $tealers said the motor was ok but the linkage was seized and replaced it for the bargain price of £440 (double eek!). The linkage is marked on the diagram below;

Prior to this happening, the wipers used to park just out of view under the rear edge of the bonnet, unless they were switched on e.g. intermittent, then they would be a few inches higher onto the screen.

Now, they park just a little higher than in the images from the previous post.
    After reading the previous comments I think I will be taking it back to get it corrected.

Paul M: I also have the 8 sensor kit ready to fit and definately want the front ones on after bashing the undertray on kerbs far too frequently.

I noticed on the 7 series that the PDC is not operational once moving above a certain speed, the cutoff is exactly the same time as when the TV display switches off 'for safety reasons'. Therefore, there must be a hook up into a speed sensor somewhere.

Maybe we could use a similar technique on the 8 ?
    Anyone know how it works on the 7 ?

Tony, the laptop has VGA out connector, S-Video out, Audio Line out and 2 x USB - hopefully those will be plenty connections to play with.

Doesn't the touch screen plug straight into a standard VGA out connector for video ?

What software are you using, is it download-able ?

I would have thought a laptop would be perfect for the job;

· Runs off built-in re-chargeable battery, therefore isolated from the cars electrical system. Numerous laptops now have 12v chargers so easy to hook up for re-charging.

· Compact, slim, self-contained and shock resist mounted hard drive.

· Just install the docking bay into the car, slide in the laptop and away you go.

..Or am I missing something?

I am a trained auto-electrician and computer engineer, also have done a lot of electrical circuit design work in the past, so hopefully will be able to cope with the project quite well.

Where did you get the screen from ?

Hmm, that CarPC stuff looks a bit pricey..

I have a spare laptop, newish with damaged LCD. Could that be used as a CarPC ?

TallTony: I would really like to have the same CarPC setup as yours; MP3, TV, GPS, Email, Divx, etc and also would like to retain the BMW radio/cd player.

Here's what I'm thinking;
    Re-locate the BMW radio head unit into the glove box and install M/F wheel so it can be controlled remotely.

Install the CarPC with touch screen and hook up the audio into the existing setup.
    E.G. use the R/T button on the M/F wheel to switch the audio between BMW radio/cd and CarPC instead of telephone.

This way, if CarPC has a problem then the standard setup will still work and/or its also handy for playing that latest CD you just obtained.

What do you think, is this do-able?

I'm with Paul M on this one, I use the 740 with M/F wheel almost daily and really like it.
    It always seems like there's something missing when I get in the 840 and I find it a bit archaic by comparison to the 740 which has TV, Sat Nav, Integrated Phone, etc.

M/F wheel in the 840 is a must and top of the priority list for me. Will the Car PC interface to the M/F wheel?

I do get over to Blackpool now and again to visit friends who work at the Imperial and Hilton hotels, in fact it's a bit of an old stomping ground for me.. those were the days - rumours night club, the No 3, uncle toms, etc.