Beiträge von rob840

Zitat von TallTony;46132

just a quick update on my quest for radio 5Live in my car !

getting great reception round these parts using 3Mobile internet. Looks really smart, plus I can download shows I've missed and listen again whenever I like :D

TallTony: I'm seriously considering a car PC project for my 840, can you tell me is this a touchscreen or how else do you control it? Thanks.

Zitat von Martin;50085

Of course, full functionality. :harhar:
    It''s a steering wheel from the E46 with mechanical modifications.
    For the cruise control, I develop a new plug and play electronic interface. :grin2:

I would like a M/F wheel on my 840Ci, do you have any instructions for the mechanical modifications necessary?
    Does it have to be E46, would one like this from my E38 740iL fit?

Hey Martin - What steering wheel is that ? Do all the controls work ?

It's just what I'm looking for, I've grown used to the M/F wheel on my 740iL which is used almost daily and miss it when I'm in the 840.

Martin: Wow ! - that's what I'm talking about.. it almost looks like a new car.

Has it been resprayed ?
    I ask because of the vibrant colour showing in the wheel arches, mine is all dark and dirty behind the wheels.

Well, we have plenty of water here in Manchester, all I need now is some shampoo and a set of marigolds !

My 840 is is only used a few times a month however, the engine bay looks a bit sad, with various bolts/nuts rusting, alloy bits discoloured and general grime and dirt everywhere else.

Having been to a few car shows and seen the exhibits so clean that you eat your dinner off the engine block, I was wondering if anyone has some good tips of products for getting it all cleaned up nicely.

LED Bulb Replacement Definitive List

I have read through all of this thread with great interest and several times too, whilst attempting to make a list of the required replacement LED bulbs.

Although it seems 'done and dusted' and the thread has gone quiet since April 08, I cannot find any specific details for LED bulbs to replace the externals and also the details for the internals seem to have changed a few times.

Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to make a definitive list of LED bulbs specs and types replacements with direct reference to the pages in the user manual.
    Please could someone assist in filling in the LED bulb details. Many thanks.

Here are the relevant pages from the manual;

Update: Checked the compressor pulley, it won't move.
    The clutch plate on the compressor is very loose with lots of play.

The idler wheel/bearing spins freely with no play and looks ok.

I guess this means the compressor is shot, anyone got a spare one handy?

I understood that the air con has an impact on fuel consumption/performance.

Also, when previously I had left the A/C on and it started to rain, the screen misted up.
    Surely, you should not have air con and demister / heater on at the same time?

Hi Terry,
    Great - thanks for the quick response and info.

The air con was working great last time I used it.. Summer 2007

Recent hot weather here in UK prompted me to switch it on and find it not working.
    I've also noticed the engine overheating recently - gauge up to 3/4 when standing goes back to 1/2 way when on motorway. Suspect the thermostat for this problem.

I read up somewhere there was an electrical connection to the A/C compressor so thought I'd check it out (I trained as an auto-electrician). Thats when I saw no belt.

It appears the belt has disintegrated/shredded..
    I found a squiggly piece of rubber about an inch long on the undertray, thats all I can see. There maybe more at the back of the tray but I've not jacked the car up yet.

How do I check the compressor? Should it spin? Is there a clutch on it? Thanks.

Had a look under the bonnet to see why the Air Con not working and discovered the belt had disappeared! ..and no traces of it anywhere.
    Apart from ordering a new belt from the dealer, I have no idea where to start with this. It looks like the other belt has got to come off also to replace it.
    Please - Has anybody done this already and can provide some instructions ?
    Thanks lots.