Beiträge von Seb

After months trying to sell the 840 and encountering nothing but chancers and timewasters I took her up to Gaydon, stuck a for sale sign in the window and had agreed a sale with a retired couple from Birmingham by lunchtime :) They transferred the money to me yesterday evening and drove down to Kent today to collect the car. I was quite sad to see it heading off into the sunset with somebody else at the wheel but I'm glad it's finally sold and going to a good home. Thanks for everything guys, it's been a blast!

Zitat von rcrad6653;79709

Did you take it for a good run or just let it idle for a bit? These cars are made to be driven and the symptoms describe improper oil flow getting up to the cams, etc. I'd wager it wouldn't be there after even a 10 mile spirited trek.

I got a bit scared to be honest! I was hoping it might be something as simple as improper oil flow rather than something about to fall off...

I decided to get the 840 out of the garage yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks to give it a wash but when I started the engine there was quite a loud knocking/tapping noise coming from it. The speed and volume rose and fell with engine speed and it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Ah, you see the one that I'm trying to change doesn't - the clear part appears to be glued to the holder, with no visible means of removing it to give access to the bulb inside. I think I might have to take a picture to show the problem.

I've actually got that far, it's trying to get the light out that's the problem! I can see it's somehow attached to the bootlid but I don't know which way to fiddle with what look like clips holding it in place for fear of braking them.

The bulb in one of the bootlid lights has dropped out of its holder and is rattling around in the light casing - trouble is, I don't know how to remove the casing to get at the bulb. The other casing has clips that hold the clear part of the light in place but this one doesn't and I can't figure out how what to do! Help!

After two and a half years, I've decided it's time to move on to something more sensible and as a result my beloved 840 must go.
    It's an Arctic silver 4.4-litre model and while it's not a Sport it has the full Sport bodystyling, 17-inch BBS Cross-spoke alloys and Sport seats. It's done 136,500 miles but you wouldn't know to look at it or drive it and it's got plenty of equipment, as you'd expect from a car that cost just over £60k when new. It has black leather electric Sport seats with driver memory, cruise control, an electric sunroof, windows and heated electric mirrors with driver mirror memory and auto dipping passenger mirror when reversing, a ski bag, dual zone air con, auto dimming interior mirror and Steptronic gearbox.I've also added an E36 M3 Evo steering wheel, a custom stainless steel exhaust, an HID conversion, LED sidelights, a JVC multimedia head unit, rear parking sensors with a small display, numerous suspension upgrades along the way including front camber plates to reduce understeer and rear suspension turret reinforcement plates, it's been remapped to over 300bhp and it's just had brand new Bilstein Sport shocks, new rear tyres and new front brake discs. It's also got 3 months MOT left and Tax until November.
    I've spent an absolute fortune on it and it's been extremely well looked after. I'm the deputy editor of BMW Car magazine and the 840 has been featured in the magazine's Longtermers section every month since I bought it, resulting in a unique month by month photographic record of all the work that's ever been carried out on the car. It even made it onto the front cover of our November 2007 issue when we did a feature on bargain luxury cruisers! £6250ono. Tel. 01732 748034 week days or 07859 056445 eves/weekends, Kent

Hello guys, not posted on here for a little, been very busy but just thought I'd let you know that the 840 is for sale and this time it's really going. Regular readers of BMW Car will have seen that I have managed to buy its replacement without yet selling the Eight, so it needs to go. It's been a blast, it really has, and I've loved every minute of E31 ownership, massive repair bills and all! The 840 is one of the best cars I've owned and I've got a lot of fond memories of my time with the car, and I have to say that this community is one of the best I've ever been a part of :) Thanks for all your help over the years, you're all a top bunch of guys. Keep flying the 8 Series flag and, if anyone wants an extremely well looked after 840, get in touch!

Seb

Just a quick post because I just had an email from a reader's fiancee and her husband to be would love to drive a CSi as a wedding car - I know it's highly unlikely but perhaps some kind soul would be willing to help him achieve his dream before marriage turns his life into a nightmare :rofl:

'99 UK spec Impreza Turbo 2000 only had 214hp, but that was enough for 0-62 in 6.1 seconds, so still plenty fast enough to beat an 850Ci. For the record I timed my 840Ci using our GPS timing gear when we were up at Bruntingthorpe one day and got 0-60 in 6.8 seconds and I believe my 0-100 time was 17.4 seconds or thereabouts.

I had no idea they'd published it! One of the guys in the office gets it and is going to bring it in to show me my letter so I'll try and photocopy the article for you then. The 8 Series barely gets a mention in the article, it comes up once or twice but the rest of the feature really is just all about the Berlin wall. Interesting, but you'd feel a bit hard done by if you were hoping for an 8 Series feature!