Beiträge von StuWags

I haven't had the money or time to work on my 850 in a while, but I finally can again. New information - when I turn my key on I do not hear the fuel pump run (even with my ear right next to the open filler cap). I should be able to hear it come on, right? Other new information - I put a timing light on one of my plug wires and I don't have any spark when I'm trying to crank it over.
    This has led me to strongly believe it is my computers that are broken. I don't just want to shell out the money for brand new computers if this doesn't turn out to be a problem, but when I've looked on ebay I haven't been able to match the exact part number. Has anyone tried to use other computers that worked? It would be especially nice if I could take the computers from a 750, unless someone has a couple of spares.

Thanks for all your help, guys. Good suggestions, but although I replaced a few fuses the car still won't work. I tried the fuse box up front and in the trunk and that hidden fuse - no dice, won't start. It's looking like I might need to find a BMW shop here :cry: (but I will NOT take it back to the dealer!).

Thanks a lot for the diagram. Now I'm sure it's all connected right, but still no go. I think it's time to check all my fuses and circuit breakers, because I don't think the fuel pump is turning on and even though my window and door locks are working the controls on the door handle do not work. I'm going to check on whether or not I'm getting any spark.
    With all that I've done replacing the harness and putting in new batteries, etc. is there any kind of fuel cut-off that might have been triggered and needs to be reset? Any particular relays that might affect the fuel pump?

I'm not sure about the fuel pump. I'll try and listen for it. I tried every combination possible with those four connectors and it didn't ever change the code (I only tried cranking it once in a while - the batteries won't last forever if I crank it some 24 times). It'd still be good to know how they should be connected, but the problem must be elsewhere.

I have posted a little bit before about how my '91 850i had a nasty electrical short and fried the engine wiring harness. I have a new one in and have patched up the old wires, but I've come across a problem.
    Because I was not the one to take my car apart (the local BMW tore it apart, wanted to charge me more to fix it than it cost me to buy the car), I put all the connectors back on the best I could figure out. Now it turns over but won't start, so I bought a Peake code reader to find the problem. It reads out E / 10, which looking in the book says Crankshaft/Cylinder ID sensor. I found the connectors, they're up at the front of the engine, underneath the oil fill. I've tried moving them around some, but there are 4 connectors that all can go on to each other. Can anyone with a '91 or '92 take some pics to show how these are connected (making sure to note where they come out of on the harness). Any other ideas of what could be causing my problem would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

I need three connectors off of a '92 and newer 850i (manual transmission might help). The connectors are located next to the passenger side fender well and connect into the main engine wiring harness going into the DME's. They are male connectors with 25 pins each. When you pull
    the connectors apart they have a colored plastic ring inside - blue, black and gray. I need the male end of the connectors with a few inches of the wires for the blue and gray. The male end of the one with the black ring goes back inside the passenger fender and into the car, then goes under the carpet and up to the center console. I need the wires right up to the center console.
    Send me an email at wagners3@unlv.nevada.edu if you have anything that can help me out.

I took my center console all out and now there's a huge piece of the A/C system in my way. I still don't know where the wires are going off to and now I'm kind of stuck. Has anyone ever tried to remove this thing behind the stereo/obc/ac control? I'm at a complete loss for what to do next to try and find where these wires go - they just disappear back behind this A/C thingey (I'm all technical terms today). Help! I want my car back!

This is bad......really bad. I can't afford the exhaust right now (shoot, I'm still working on getting the beast running again), but after listening to that I'm going to have to find a place in Las Vegas that does custom exhaust. What brand were the mufflers, btw?

Well, I've posted about this little problem a few times, but now I'm finally getting close to fixing it. Back in December I had a short somewhere in my engine wiring harness, burned the whole thing up. It also burned up wires going back into the car. I can see that the wires lead up behind the center console, but I don't know where they go afterwards.

Does anyone have a diagram of where the wires go in the car (not a schematic-type, I need one that shows the physical location of the wires)? I may need to take the center console apart as well - does anyone know how I can do this without breaking things?

I've decided to keep the car (while the dealer had it and was telling me outrageous prices I had second thoughts), so I'll be sticking around for a long while. Thanks for all your help, guys.

Stu

Okay, so I'm getting more and more certain by the day that the dealer is trying to rob me on this. It's been a month, still no car (originally I was promised 1 week) and the last time I talked to them they told me that they found more wires had been burned beyond the harness and needed to charge me 10 hrs. more ($1000). Does anyone know how I can find the list of how many hours I should be charged for the harness or this "extra wire repair"? I'd like to at least know if they're following the book but either way it's ridiculous that they keep telling me "one more week" and it's still not done a month later!!!

Well, thanks for the input. I don't think I can do much other than sit here - it'll take just as long if somebody else does it. I do believe the guy working on it knows his way around the electrical. I thought about doing it myself, then I looked at the motor and thought "Wow, that's a lot of wiring!" Then I tried to pull apart one of the connectors and couldn't figure it out (haven't found a manual yet), so I said "It's either the dealer or a BMW shop and here either one charges the same $/hr, so I went with the dealer. Hopefully I'll have it back this year!

A few weeks ago I drove my car to lunch (a couple of blocks) when I had some kind of short in the wiring, ended up toasting the entire wiring harness. I took it to the local dealer, they told me that they would have to replace the harness. This will cost me $3400 ($2000 for the harness, $1400 for labor) unless the computers are burned out (they're not sure until they replace it, it'll cost an extra $2500 if that's the case).
    The dealer told me that I'd have to deposit $1000 then they could get it done the next week. Now it's been two weeks since I gave them the cash and they told me today that they still don't have it. I asked when it would come in and the guy said, "I don't know. I expected it to be in by now." Is it just me or is this a little ridiculous? Once my 850's fixed I may have to sell it because I cannot afford this kind of repair cost. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble waiting for parts? If anyone knows any way to get BMW to foot the bill since it was their faulty wiring that shorted that would be nice to know (I don't care if it's 15 yrs. old, it burned up the entire harness - where's the fusible link to prevent that????)

I don't know what happened! I bought my 850 in August, everything's been going pretty well, until Monday. Monday I was driving home and started to smell something coming through my vents. By the time I actually got home, I couldn't figure out what had happened. Tuesday I drove to work - everything's fine. At lunch I had gone less than a block, the smell returns with smoke. I stop, open the hood - there's smoke coming from the wiring harness, and it's coming from everywhere under the hood.
    I don't know how much damage has been done other than I can see several wires that are now a melted together mess. Today I towed it to the BMW shop and they told me it will cost $3400 for the harness, $5900 if they have to replace the computers too. Has anyone had this happen? What's the deal? Also, I'm in Las Vegas, NV - anybody know a reliable shop here that might not charge me so much?

So.........
    I ordered the new pump from Autohaus AZ (ordered late Sat., got here Wed.!) I also called everywhere in town to look for the 32mm fan spanner and nobody carries it that I know of. I tried a couple other things, but apparently I really need that tool. Anyone know where to find this tool?

I'm in love...[drool]...I really didn't think I would ever change from my stock wheels - they look pretty sweet for stock - but if I could find some o' 'dem M6 wheels I'd be in heaven.
    Tell me, did you replace them from stock? I'm looking for 2 of the center caps for my car. They have a hexagon in the middle with a chrome ring around it...if you don't know what I mean I'll try and post a pic later.