Beiträge von steveirl

Rememebr the first time it arrived on a transporter to you...well next time it will be a covered transporter:poke:, and silk gloves will be a condition of you getting the job:laugh:

Zitat von Argonaut;97697

It's certainly worth asking over on Detailing World (a great forum to hang out on too), last time I checked in the UK about detailing/correction etc I was told that it was getting difficult for detailers to do body work restoration style work as new legislation makes being a painter a bit trickier than it used to be. Still, that info might have been cobblers or out of date, I'd be interested to hear what's possible now.

Detailing World is a great forum, I found some excellent suppliers there, and learned how to use a rotary from tutorials posted there. Just make the point though, it is easy to become obsessive about detailing. Fact is, it is impossible to keep a car in showroom condition when it is driven, and over interest in detailing, can drive you insane with each new stonechip. I have been there, :roll:. A bit of time and elbow grease with a polisher will improve even the roughest car beyond recognition.

I am in Ireland, so the cost is not going to be relevant to you, but think in the region of 400 to 600 for a full correction detail. The guy had it for just over afull week, and spent about four days on the car. Deeper stone chips can be filled in with a touch up, as for deep scratches, if they have penetrated into the base coat, they would need to be painted. if they are confined to the top coat, their appearance will be diminished.

Zitat von BBMatic;97664

Looks like Orient Blue..at least, the outdoor shots do! The indoor ones look a completely different colour..

The indoor shots were taken with a small camera, using the flash, and the colour looks very like the Iris Blue used by Porsche. Outside it is typical Orient Blue, a bit sombre on a dull day, it is one of those colours that comes alive in sunlight, or indoor in bright light.

Zitat von Deep;97667

Absolutely amazing, I would love to have my 8 looking like that.

How would you say it compares to a re-spray; costwise and in terms of looks?

If your paint is just suffering from scratches, swirls, and etching, a proper detail could be worthwhile. My car now just about looks like it has been freshly painted.

Just had the CSi undergo a paint correction detail. I would be pretty used to doing this myself, but I found the paint very hard on this car, and without the proper depth guages, I decided to leave the heavy cut polishing in the hands of a professional detailer. It looks superb now, in fact I had not realised just how etched the paint had become over the years.
    A few pics..

Zitat von sandwich;92581

Hi Revtor

Not sure if it's any use but I seem to recall I paid around £500.00 for a new rear wheel about 18 months ago. If you like I'll call the local dealershio , and with the BMW CC discount may be able to get a competitive price. Just let me know

Cheers

I am interested in the same set of Alpinas as Revtor, the above wesite is quoting just over £2900 for the set of four. Did you ever enquire on a price for them?
    Steve

Yes Gerry, been cleaning the engine bay, looks almost new now, although I have always kept it clean.
    Your memory is correct, four bolts had backed out, and I still have the old oil rail. The front feels a lot sharper on turn in with the camber plates, and tyre scrub, which is a feature of these heavy cars, seems to have gone. They really are a worthwhile modification. I do notice the rear feels a little tidier, and well planted also, when driving on secondary roads.
    The journey back to Pembroke docks from your place was effortless, but I never remembered the stereo would need the code after you replaced the batteries, and had the five hour drive without any music!!:banghead:

This is a bit late posting, but I just want to thank Gerry 8Tech for the great service work on my CSi. This is the second time I have brought the car over to Gerry from Ireland for service and repair work, what makes it worthwhile taking the trouble to do so is proven in the knowledge that anything required will be done properly.
    I had a full service, along with new rear arms, as the originals were showing signs of wear and camber plates fitted, they make a very noticeable difference.
    I also had a new clutch and flywheel, my original was juddering, and I opted for an uprated clutch and lightweight flywheel, very light to use now, but you need to apply a few more revs than before to get a smooth takeoff from standstill. Other work Gerry carried out was mostly preventative, at my request, such as a new insulated alternator cable, braided fuel lines, new oem starter motor, and the biggest job....removal of the manifolds and cam covers to safety wire the oil rails. I decided once the manifolds were off, it would be a shame not to tidy them up, so Gerry stripped and repainted them silver along with the cam covers in black.
    Gerry also fitted a stainless exhaust system I ordered from PD Gough, and when I collected the car it was a lot noisier than I expected. They had agreed to fabricate an exact replica of the factory system from the cats back, but they instead eliminated the center resonator, and used baffled pipes in their place. The fit of the system was however perfect. I have since called them, and they have recently sent replacement mid silencer sections at no cost.
    Thanks Gerry, as usual top notch .
    Steve

I am a member there Jason, but rarely visit it now as there is little activity on the GT, for that I joined http://www.fordgtforum.com
    The GT is an incredible car, I always loved them, and my first drive blew me away. My only criticism would be the steering assistance is a little over done, and the car is a little too quiet for what it is. I have solved that now though with a custom full exhaust system from Stainless Works in the US, and also had a suppercharger upgrade and ECU tune to push power and torque up, although in truth, it is a stupidly fast car as standard.

I have never come across the GT40 and 8 mentioned in any kind of exchange/comparison thread, so i assume you will, if you relocate, and have to sell the 8, also buy a daily driver alongside the GT40?
    I went down the same path of consideration as you, but my goal was to own a GT, which I never did think was possible, and looked at the replica options instead. You are right, RCR, CAV, Superperformance and Tornado all offer excellent cars, and they are now far from replicas in the old sense, with bespoke chassis, and impressive transmission and equipment options. I think if you buy right also, you are unlikely to loose much if anything on resale, there is strong demand and a growing enthusiasm for the GT40, spurred on a lot by the GT.
    Join http://www.gt40s.com great bunch on that forum, and a search will answer any questions you have.
    I was lucky enough to be able to buy a GT last year.

The car with the malfunctioning starter motor Gerry is working on is my CSi. I have been down the road with cheap starter motors before with my Pantera. I replaced the original bulky starter with a smaller high torque unit as they were available from a well known De Tomaso parts vendor for just $110. One year later, while in France, the starter lets me down!!!
    I now have a unit sourced directly from the engine manufacturer, and four years on it is still perfect. It is easy to remove a starter on a Pantera, with a lift it is a 15 minute job, on a CSi it is several hours, you get what you pay for, simple as. I will gladly pay for a OEM starter for peace of mind on a car of this calibre.
    Another lesson learned with the CSi, once you feel the SLIGHTEST symptom of clutch wear, such as a minor judder, or slip, get it seen to. I allowed my car to be used by a friend briefly after the clutch began to judder, along with some noise from the release bearing, with the result that the entire clutch, and flywheel needs to be replaced. !!

Unfortunate news Keenan, and I never did get to see it. Perhaps you can make the next Cars & Coffee meeting on Sunday morning, 6th Feb at Cherrywood Tech park?
    I have just left my CSi over to Gerry 8Tech for a service but it also needs a new clutch, and maybe a flywheel:banghead:
    Still, it is a great car, and has been utterly reliable in the near 5 years I have owned it. He is also going to fit camber plates, and safety wire the oil rail banjo bolts.
    Steve